Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Press Conference—July 17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"While working on our goal of making the power train last a million miles"

I really can't see how anyone can continue to compare Tesla to any other automaker with goals like this.

At ludicrous speed you'll burn through those million miles pretty fast!

Seriously, this is an awesome goal. It fits well with ride sharing trends, say 50k miles per year for 20 years. Or more realistically, this is a solution for lower income countries. Such a vehicle could serve for 15 years in a developed country, then be exported to a less developed country for another 25 to 35 years of service. The environmental implications of a drivetrain that can last 1 million miles is immense. Cars that are junked in 10k miles are just not so sustainable.

Some environmentalist worry that even with rapid gains in renewable energy, batteries and EVs. It's going to take too long just to replace conventional vehicles. That is, with cars lasting 20 years on the road. Even if all new cars were electric in 20 years, it would be 40 years to get gas burning cars off the road. I'm not sure I buy into this pessimism for a number of reasons, but here are two. 1, if Teslas can last 30 or more years on the road, this speeds up the time it takes to replace the gas fleet. That is, in twenty years, we will not be building EVs to replace EVs, but every EV will replace a conventional car. 2, the low cost of ownership will become clear over 20 years. The operating cost of a used gas vehicle will be substantially higher than a used EV. Thus, it becomes more economical to retire a used gas car earlier and buy a slightly newer used EV. Thus, well performing used EVs will shorten the life miles of gas cars. This is comparable to the dynamics of sending fossil fuel power plants to an early retirement. This will happen if electrics can drive down the total cost per mile below that of a used gas vehicle. The best way for Tesla to do that is to build cars that get substantially more lifetime miles.

I remember that either JB or Elon recently stated that the Model 3 will have battery cells with 20% better energy density. Does anybody happen to have a link or something to this? I think its related to the silicon anode that Elon mentioned in the press release, and this has huge implications on Tesla's battery tech progress.

I remember that either JB or Elon recently stated that the Model 3 will have battery cells with 20% better energy density. Does anybody happen to have a link or something to this? I think its related to the silicon anode that Elon mentioned in the press release, and this has huge implications on Tesla's battery tech progress.

This. Delivering a stable, long life silicon anode is a big deal, even if the initial versions only increase specific energy a little bit. Presumably, this is the 3600 mAh cells and we are on our way to 4000 mAh cells, although the cells themselves are a little heavier.

Thanks for your kind words.

I agree, from retrospective what mercedes did for tesla some years ago was real help for tesla.
I have the impression that elon does not forget good things of such a magnitude as mercedes financial help for tesla some years ago.

What I think now is that there will be some talk during weekend about this incredible innovative company and their amazing products getting better and better quicker than others are able to catch up.

Elon was very emotional and strongly emphasized that without Daimlers help they would not be around.
It made a strong impression on me.

When tesla decides to build in Europe, they may well partner with Daimler .

"While working on our goal of making the power train last a million miles"

I really can't see how anyone can continue to compare Tesla to any other automaker with goals like this.

I believe that some diesel engines can last that long if properly maintained, but 1M miles is almost unheard of in a gasoline engine. I've heard through unofficial channels that Honda generally targets 10 years and 150,000 miles with no major maintenance as the benchmark for its gasoline engines. The simplest automobile gasoline engine in the Honda lineup, the R18 (a SOHC 1.8L port injected engine used in Civic) seems to be able to go about 300,000 miles before going bust and requiring complete overhaul.

Once again, even after all this time, Tesla can still surprise me :love:

I was pleasantly surprised too. I was expecting this to be a quick call about Autopilot. I was not expecting the battery upgrade or ludicrous speed! :biggrin:

Nikki's write-up indicates that the upgrade cost for existing 85 kWh owners is only $5,000:

This option, if true, is almost too good to pass up for those of us with A batteries. I get to replace my 3-year-old, 90 kW-capped battery with a brand-new battery? Sign me up.
I would stick to the info provided on the Tesla Motors official blog by Elon on the subject... people are confusing the electronics upgrade for Ludicrous mode with Batter Pack upgrade.
Three Dog Day | Tesla Motors

Too many configurations.. I think Tesla will yank the plug out of 85 completely and stick to 70 and 90. Tesla in Q3/Q4 call last year noticed too much configuration and noticed that affected productivity. Things may be different now, but I would say 85 to 90 is not a huge difference.

70 with supercharger and 230 miles range will certainly increase market.

I think Tesla read my comments about why model years exist, in response to the customer dissatisfaction with how they handled the S70 introduction / S60 discontinuation. Here's how I think they're handling the 90 introduction:

-- first, add the improved version as a "bonus" which costs extra
-- wait a few months
-- discontinue the old version as stock runs out
-- wait a month
-- lower the price of the improved version to where the old version was before

They can keep doing this with improvements indefinitely and people will all be happy with it.

Hi,

Nikki's write-up indicates that the upgrade cost for existing 85 kWh owners is only $5,000:

This option, if true, is almost too good to pass up for those of us with A batteries. I get to replace my 3-year-old, 90 kW-capped battery with a brand-new battery? Sign me up.
Existing owners can also purchase the pack upgrade, but I wouldn't recommend doing so unless usage is on the edge of current range. On average, we expect to increase pack capacity by roughly 5% per year. Better to wait until you have more time on your existing pack and there is a larger accumulated pack energy difference.

The initial 'the X is a couple months away' was quickly changed by a PR blog. I sold the Sept calls based on the initial EM assertion. I still believe that we will see a chance for me to buy those back cheaper. I may be wrong...I have been wrong many times before :)

Could you please give a source for this PR blog?! Need it for some other thread where someone is starting FUD about door problems again... I really don´t get how Elon could make such a mistake :confused:... Unless it was on purpose to fool shorters or the blogger just heard him wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Just found it myself:
Elon Musk said:
X is on track for first deliveries in two months and Model 3 in just over two years.
Three Dog Day | Tesla Motors
Wasn´t there yesterday.

giphy.gif

If you wait for the end of improvements to our cars before getting one, you'll never have one.

There is no such thing as Maximum Plaid. It is just an illusion.

Last edited:
I think Tesla read my comments about why model years exist, in response to the customer dissatisfaction with how they handled the S70 introduction / S60 discontinuation. Here's how I think they're handling the 90 introduction:

-- first, add the improved version as a "bonus" which costs extra
-- wait a few months
-- discontinue the old version as stock runs out
-- wait a month
-- lower the price of the improved version to where the old version was before

They can keep doing this with improvements indefinitely and people will all be happy with it.

I agree, I think you've cracked the code. They can also use the same technique to raise the price of things (e.g. they don't have to lower price to the old price).

arnold