Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pretty stoked about this powered frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't received email from TO yet, but did get an email from DHL today saying I have a shipment on the way from Hong Kong. I haven't ordered anything else that would ship from Hong Kong so I think it is likely the MY Power Frunks I odered from TO.

Edit to add: Just chatted with TO and they confirmed that it is my order. They indicated they shipped a batch of the MY Power Frunks today.

Same, got the DHL email today as well. Two MK4 kits heading my way. Est delivery 12/01.

solid thread. ended up ordering a tesla offers mk4 today.

anyone know if this affects warranty? I've read on other threads that it really depends on what warranty work needs to be done and if it could be a root cause.
you will lose warranty coverage on whatever damages directly caused by these power frunk kits...pretty much the hood latch and factory struts. Maybe the factory 12v battery if you screw up the install. I'd suggest not grounding to the negative terminal.

And of course, you should undo everything before letting the service center poke around to diagnose.

For the hansshow kit, the rubber boot goes on the box where all the wires plug into. The motor is suppose to be weatherproof.

Last edited:
I just installed the Hansshow version over the weekend. It works great! Like the second video OP said, most of the time will be spent on removing the existing struts. Especially the friggin' driver side strut because I am also right-handed. What a PITA!! But, once you gather yourself swapping the struts, it's all downhill from there. The whole thing took about 2.5 hours for me. I personally like the Hansshow struts better because it comes with metal casing vs. a rubber boot on the TO version. Feels like it'd be less prone to wear and tear and more resistant to water.

I just installed the Hansshow version over the weekend. It works great! Like the second video OP said, most of the time will be spent on removing the existing struts. Especially the friggin' driver side strut because I am also right-handed. What a PITA!! But, once you gather yourself swapping the struts, it's all downhill from there. The whole thing took about 2.5 hours for me. I personally like the Hansshow struts better because it comes with metal casing vs. a rubber boot on the TO version. Feels like it'd be less prone to wear and tear and more resistant to water.

Nice. One of the videos said you can make adjustments on the hood opening height but didn't go into details, is that true?

Any adjustment necessary for the latch? Or is it really just put-that-thing-back-where-it-came-from-or-so-help-me?

Good to know the struts are in metal casings. Videos made them look plastic.

Last edited:
Nice. One of the videos said you can make adjustments on the hood opening height but didn't go into details, is that true?

Any adjustment necessary for the latch? Or is it really just put-that-thing-back-where-it-came-from-or-so-help-me?

Good to know the struts are in metal casings. Videos made them look plastic.

Not sure which video but I didn't see how you could adjust the opening height as it is restricted by the length of travel for the struts.

Ah, yes. The latch. It did freak me out very briefly when the locking pin went into "lock" position as I took the spring tensioner off. You just have to unlatch it back to open position to put the adapter thing that fits over the pin. Provided that everything is wired correctly, it should work right out of the gate! Depending on how your hood is closing currently, adjustment can be made up/down to have it sit flush with the bumper edge.

I guess the material could have been some hardened composite but it felt cold to the touch and had more heft to be plastic.

Not sure which video but I didn't see how you could adjust the opening height as it is restricted by the length of travel for the struts.

Ah, yes. The latch. It did freak me out very briefly when the locking pin went into "lock" position as I took the spring tensioner off. You just have to unlatch it back to open position to put the adapter thing that fits over the pin. Provided that everything is wired correctly, it should work right out of the gate! Depending on how your hood is closing currently, adjustment can be made up/down to have it sit flush with the bumper edge.

I guess the material could have been some hardened composite but it felt cold to the touch and had more heft to be plastic.

can you confirm if you can open the frunk using just the emergency release when the car locked?

My kit arrived yesterday (Mark 4) and it felt like it's been used before. Black coated metal parts were scratched (use marks) and some connector pins were broken. Purely cosmetic so I went ahead with installation regardless.

The latch activator "tongue" was a little wobbly and the hood latch wouldn't touch it, so I had to be creative and thicken it with some plastic piece I had from some other toy + a screw + JB Weld to make it all one solid piece. Pictures to follow.

It's been 6-7h of installation (best of luck with the struts, they are down low in some very unpleasant to work area!). 2h with the struts replacements, and another 4h troubleshooting the latch mechanism until I pinpointed the tongue not being touched.

From there, it took me 1h to creatively adapt the mechanism, install, test and do some cable management to put everything back in place.

All in all, I'm happy and working with the TO guys to provide installation feedback. Could have been better, but it's the first MK4 batch, so just like the MY itself being too new, I expected some of what I got. Wanted to be positively surprised, but life's not always like that!

With that being said, if you need help with the MK4, I'm also here for that!

I ordered the Mark 4 yesterday although it is BO. Not expecting it this year but early Jan would be nice. The car itself is nothing short of amazing in every respect except for the prehistoric/ridiculous manual latching of the frunk method. I would be embarrassed to market such a nice vehicle with this deficiency. At least an automatic pull down latching feature feature would have been more than suitable for all.

can you confirm if you can open the frunk using just the emergency release when the car locked?
I didn't test that part of the system. Not sure if I will ever use that function but will give it ago and update.

Also, another interesting "feature" of the Hansshow kit is that now the piezo horn beeps every time I open the doors. I am thinking it's because all the locking mechanisms in the car are on the same circuit which the frunk system is tapped into. It's actually kinda cool and is growing on me. :cool:

I didn't test that part of the system. Not sure if I will ever use that function but will give it ago and update.

Also, another interesting "feature" of the Hansshow kit is that now the piezo horn beeps every time I open the doors. I am thinking it's because all the locking mechanisms in the car are on the same circuit which the frunk system is tapped into. It's actually kinda cool and is growing on me. :cool:

I'm curious if anyone can just walk up to your locked car, pop the tow cover, and open your frunk with the emergency release. Chance of it happening seems low, but still curious.

Can the piezo horn be disconnected?

My kit arrived yesterday (Mark 4) and it felt like it's been used before. Black coated metal parts were scratched (use marks) and some connector pins were broken. Purely cosmetic so I went ahead with installation regardless.

The latch activator "tongue" was a little wobbly and the hood latch wouldn't touch it, so I had to be creative and thicken it with some plastic piece I had from some other toy + a screw + JB Weld to make it all one solid piece. Pictures to follow.

It's been 6-7h of installation (best of luck with the struts, they are down low in some very unpleasant to work area!). 2h with the struts replacements, and another 4h troubleshooting the latch mechanism until I pinpointed the tongue not being touched.

From there, it took me 1h to creatively adapt the mechanism, install, test and do some cable management to put everything back in place.

All in all, I'm happy and working with the TO guys to provide installation feedback. Could have been better, but it's the first MK4 batch, so just like the MY itself being too new, I expected some of what I got. Wanted to be positively surprised, but life's not always like that!

With that being said, if you need help with the MK4, I'm also here for that!

Wow, that sounds pretty rough!! I'm now *anxiously* awaiting my orders haha!!

Thanks for posting!!

I'm curious if anyone can just walk up to your locked car, pop the tow cover, and open your frunk with the emergency release. Chance of it happening seems low, but still curious.

Can the piezo horn be disconnected?

The horn can be easily removed but that it takes away the safety feature that lets you know when it's opening and closing. I don't mind the beeps.

Reactions: maximus96