Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that this board is from Nvidia, I was wondering if it might have some Nvidia standard connections and if it might be possible to find newer variants of the same board, perhaps with better larger eMMC, more RAM, faster processor, etc. - and then just swap the entire board (with the eMMC contents transferred first). Has anyone already checked this out?

Given that this board is from Nvidia, I was wondering if it might have some Nvidia standard connections and if it might be possible to find newer variants of the same board, perhaps with better larger eMMC, more RAM, faster processor, etc. - and then just swap the entire board (with the eMMC contents transferred first). Has anyone already checked this out?

The pin out is supposedly reversed from standard.

• Informative
Reactions: .jg.
Correct, we consider this fix permanent. Original chip lasted 3-X years. By decreasing the amount of useless logs being written we easily extend the longevity of the chip by 10-100x, and once you factor in the extra space to wear out depending on the size of the chip you get the factor goes up another 100-1000x I would expect after several thousand years you will want a new car since this car is only rated for 1 million miles.

Personally on my car I still have the original chip/mcu (Dec 13). I was planning to replace it, however I have taken all the precautions already and now I'm going to see how long it last.
And third factor after reducing writes and the additional capacity is using a high endurance part. By doing all three, I expect the replacement flash to last as long as the rest of the car.

Reactions: TonyT and .jg.
Right... Or at least power pins are.
Hi! I own a 2013 P85 that starts to show signs of pending eMMC failure.
I would like to take a backup of the certificates and other files from /var, and it seems that the Debug port that can be accessed for that
purpose.
Do I use a standard USB cable or I need to get one with a special pinout?
What do you use to read on the eMMC, once connected? dd, ddescue, other?
Thanks for the help!
Frank

I would like to take a backup of the certificates and other files from /var, and it seems that the Debug port that can be accessed for that
purpose.
Thanks for the help!
Frank

Hi Frank, backup that was is not really possible unless you already have access to the file system. I can refer you to one of my Canada friends that may be close to you and can help with extraction and repair.

purpose.
Thanks for the help!
Frank
PM me.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Hi Frank, backup that was is not really possible unless you already have access to the file system. I can refer you to one of my Canada friends that may be close to you and can help with extraction and repair.
If one already has access to the file system, it seems like one could simply copy everything out, so what I'm wondering is why people would need to help with that? Is there something which makes making a copy of the entire 8GB emmc not a proper backup?

Hi, I have bought the car model S 2014 and have the same black screen, so as I understand my next steps:
1) remove pcb board
2) took backup from the chip ( I need guys your help with it, at which pin I need connect and what software to get the information from emmc without desoldering. It’s by jtag or usb connect to ?
3) buy new one 32 or 64 ??? What better and what model you usually use ?
4) desolder old emmc at local repair shops
5) buy easy jtag ( or what more prefer ?) to write data to new one emmc
6) solder emmc and try to boot ))
7) bonus pack upgrades to LTE Europe modem

It will be helpful for me if you guys can correct me

Hi, I have bought the car model S 2014 and have the same black screen, so as I understand my next steps:
1) remove pcb board
2) took backup from the chip ( I need guys your help with it, at which pin I need connect and what software to get the information from emmc without desoldering. It’s by jtag or usb connect to ?
3) buy new one 32 or 64 ??? What better and what model you usually use ?
4) desolder old emmc at local repair shops
5) buy easy jtag ( or what more prefer ?) to write data to new one emmc
6) solder emmc and try to boot ))
7) bonus pack upgrades to LTE Europe modem

It will be helpful for me if you guys can correct me
That's largely correct.

Some notes:

#2- If you are de-soldering anyway, and the MCU isn't booting, then you need to read the eMMC chip in a reader after you remove it. I had success with this All Socket USB Programmer.

#3- Either will work, but 64GB will provide even more protection against future failure. Swissbit is considered a good brand.

#5 - See the programmer I referred to earlier

#7 - Likely possible... not sure on the software configuration changes necessary.

If you can't fully read your chip, you may need some assistance in getting a boot partition from somebody whe has the same FW revision.