Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Drop $1,100

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And the tax credit has decreased in that time window, washing out some of those drops.

Washing out ALL of that, i'm not sure why people are upset about this one. You pay 3750 more starting on Jan 1, so Tesla cuts price by 2K so reduce it to 1750 more. Now they cut price by 1.1K, so it's 650 more than 2 months ago.

Agreed and I am very happy about the price cut as a potential customer but you are signaling to the potential customers if they wait they might get a better deal.

Nope, its the opposite. You'd be paying more now, see above.

Washing out ALL of that, i'm not sure why people are upset about this one. You pay 3750 more starting on Jan 1, so Tesla cuts price by 2K so reduce it to 1750 more. Now they cut price by 1.1K, so it's 650 more than 2 months ago.

I suppose if you bought the car with cash, but most people are financing them.

The referral program was dumb anyways. Some people get roadsters while my friend never even got his wall connector like he was supposed to when I used his code... If the referral program was costing them $1000 a car they should have cut it when they started selling 3's

It will be hard for new Tesla owners to understand that Tesla has programs to constantly improve their vehicles, while at the same time making them more efficiently.

They pass these savings along to new buyers and constantly upgrade, via OTA updates the entire existing fleet.

The want to convert the world over to cleaner electric transportation to make the world a cleaner and quieter place for everyone.

This is a good thing, however sometimes their product will get less expensive over time.

Hard not to be jealous when someone buying after you gets a cheaper price, or an improved mode, but that is often what owners may experience.

Reactions: SageBrush

Not necessarily. Even without getting into who qualifies for how much in FTC, the MSRP has dropped by $3100 in the last 5-6 weeks so the delta is $650 for the time being (yesterday it was $1750). If am buying today I am getting a 2019 model year newer build date car which should be worth more when selling it in a few years compared to a 2018 model year car. So it is probably close to being same net price (assuming one can claim full FTC) once you drive the car off the lot and one more price adjustment before June 30 and I am getting a better deal. Again I am not complaining, just saying Tesla's behavior is encouraging me to wait longer if I can...

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
It will be hard for new Tesla owners to understand that Tesla has programs to constantly improve their vehicles, while at the same time making them more efficiently.

They pass these savings along to new buyers and constantly upgrade, via OTA updates the entire existing fleet.

The want to convert the world over to cleaner electric transportation to make the world a cleaner and quieter place for everyone.

This is a good thing, however sometimes their product will get less expensive over time.

Hard not to be jealous when someone buying after you gets a cheaper price, or an improved mode, but that is often what owners may experience.
Ever lower prices are the basic premise of the Tesla mission statement.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I’m not understanding what all the hate is about. This is pretty ridiculous, and I’m not one to defend Tesla just because it’s Tesla.
It is a car, regardless of whether it’s an electric one. Cars are a depreciating asset. Tesla has a different business model and so they can change prices at any time.
Have people never bought a car before? What do you think happens to someone who bought an ICE on December 1 versus someone who bought on December 31? Likely more than a 5% difference because of EOQ sales tactics. That’s been going on for ages even before Tesla.
Have people never bought electronics? No different with buying a Tesla.

Tesla will always be adjusting prices and coming out with newer toys. Maybe playing the waiting game is better for some people.

I’m not understanding what all the hate is about. This is pretty ridiculous, and I’m not one to defend Tesla just because it’s Tesla.
It is a car, regardless of whether it’s an electric one. Cars are a depreciating asset. Tesla has a different business model and so they can change prices at any time.
Have people never bought a car before? What do you think happens to someone who bought an ICE on December 1 versus someone who bought on December 31? Likely more than a 5% difference because of EOQ sales tactics. That’s been going on for ages even before Tesla.
Have people never bought electronics? No different with buying a Tesla.

Tesla will always be adjusting prices and coming out with newer toys. Maybe playing the waiting game is better for some people.
Yea, but I'm estimating about 33k in depreciation over 3 months.
9k in price reduction
14k as 20% for having an old last year model car and driving it off the lot
and 6.5k+ in taxes (not sure if that counts but it's money lost regardless).

On the bright side I waited almost 2 years for a sub par car that was in the shop for 5 weeks in the first 2 months of ownership and has been in and out of the shop every other weekend since. Now it just needs to go back in 2 more times to be problem free.

Not necessarily. Even without getting into who qualifies for how much in FTC, the MSRP has dropped by $3100 in the last 5-6 weeks so the delta is $650 for the time being (yesterday it was $1750). If am buying today I am getting a 2019 model year newer build date car which should be worth more when selling it in a few years compared to a 2018 model year car. So it is probably close to being same net price (assuming one can claim full FTC) once you drive the car off the lot and one more price adjustment before June 30 and I am getting a better deal. Again I am not complaining, just saying Tesla's behavior is encouraging me to wait longer if I can...

You still get a 2018 car today as you are buying from the large inventory available that was produced in 2018.

• Disagree
Reactions: JeffK and McFlurri
Yea, but I'm estimating about 33k in depreciation over 3 months.
9k in price reduction
14k as 20% for having an old last year model car and driving it off the lot
and 6.5k+ in taxes (not sure if that counts but it's money lost regardless).

your math is simply ridiculous here for several reasons, most of which were already pointed out to you.

Y
On the bright side I waited almost 2 years for a sub par car that was in the shop for 5 weeks in the first 2 months of ownership and has been in and out of the shop every other weekend since. Now it just needs to go back in 2 more times to be problem free.

Speaking of things repeatedly pointed out to you- you've (allegedly) had it in the shop more than long enough to qualify for a buyback under CAs lemon law.

Yet keep not doing that.

So either you're exaggerating your issues, or you really prefer to have a car you hate than a full refund- either is pretty strange.

I don't think they are selling well enough, hence the monthly 1-2k drop in price. It's not a good sign at all.

Even a year of supercharging isn't worth $500 let alone $1100.

To me, one year of Supercharging is worth $1,540.

Math: 20,000 (miles) * 275 (Wh/mi) / 1000 * $0.28 (Tesla's average price per kWh) = $1,540

That's with 2/3 of our Tesla miles being road trips and the other 1/3 charging at home/work/destination, which is a low estimate. This year will be closer to 25,000 on the road and 15,000 at home.

While I'm far from your average driver, this example illustrates the potential uncontrolled cost of free unlimited Supercharging, which we could have gotten if we had purchased a P3D instead of our 3D.

Reactions: niray9
If am buying today I am getting a 2019 model year newer build date car which should be worth more when selling it in a few years compared to a 2018 model year car. So it is probably close to being same net price (assuming one can claim full FTC) once you drive the car off the lot and one more price adjustment before June 30 and I am getting a better deal. Again I am not complaining, just saying Tesla's behavior is encouraging me to wait longer if I can...

You are basically describing how depreciation works and saying you aren't happy....come on!

And the tax credit has decreased in that time window, washing out some of those drops.

At some point it will increase as new features are added. For now, as economies of scale are achieved and in an attempt to get to pricing parity with ICE it will keep going down for a while (IMHO).
You mean if they add more options like air-suspension. But otherwise they will be putting in AP3 hardware which will cost them less than the 2.5 hardware they have now. So I expect more price drops as the the tax credit value goes away.

Another possibility is including autopilot for free soon.

I paid $55k for my LR-RWD, now my same config on the site with AWD is $54,900. If I had that pricing option to buy back then I absolutely would have got AWD, but I bought what was available at the time. I've also had a blast driving my car for the last 6 months, so I'm not bitter.

You mean if they add more options like air-suspension. But otherwise they will be putting in AP3 hardware which will cost them less than the 2.5 hardware they have now. So I expect more price drops as the the tax credit value goes away.

Another possibility is including autopilot for free soon.

Yes, air suspension for example. I think it will be a while for EAP to be standard, but TACC at some point would be likely. HUD is also something that may be included. The list goes on and on.

I'm not sure when they get to a baseline price and then start increasing x% a year like others do now. There are lots of economies of scale, efficiency improvements as well as technology (battery) improvements.

AP3 might enable them to lower price more for the base. It may also allow them to increase the price for EAP/FSD at some point. That could go either way.