Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Drop of $2k on M3P+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed that the price from Tesla for a fully loaded M3P+ (multi-coat paint, white interior, EAP) has dropped by $2,000? I just configured the same car that I took delivery of on 12/28. Price was $73,700 with Docs and Destination Fee and now is $71,700. Obviously Tesla has decided to "share" some of the reduction in Federal Tax Credit from $7,500 to $3,750. I did not see if pricing changed on any other configurations...

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
P3D LR base price went down $2K as well.

Although it is "only" $2,000, that represents a reduction of pure profit margin to the Company. The amount was set at a very savvy level IMHO as it still makes those customers who acted before the 12/31/18 deadline come out "ahead" by $1,750 but also stimulates sales demand with slightly lower pricing...

Any chance of Tesla refunding buyers who just purchased an M3P+ a week ago?

Why would they? Because you only save 1750 over the people who buy now, instead of 3750? If I was Tesla I would patiently explain that "well you purchased last week so will be getting the full tax credit, so your effective price is $1,750 lower than everyone who is buying now, so unfortunately we will not be able to refund any monies paid".

What argument would you even use to try to justify it? Completely different than the performance upgrade package debacle, as in that case the price actually DID change, somewhat arbitrarily, and people actually DID pay more. Anyone purchasing last week is paying less.

I know what you’re saying, but shouldn’t we care about the purchase price at the end of the day? A federal tax credit isn’t the same thing as a reduction on the vehicle price. But that’s just my opinion here.

You should care about the total purchase cost. You will be getting your tax credit in possibly 6 weeks. The folks that buy this year will have to wait 58 weeks.

Sure, there's 150,000+ people that would like a $2000 check, but do you expect Tesla to spend $300M+ in rebates?