Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Drop of $2k on M3P+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called up my dealer to initiate a car return since I took delivery on 12/31 and dealership was closed yesterday. They said 'no return' since it's beyond the 1 day period even though they were closed yesterday so technically today is the first business day in my opinion. But they apparently don't see it that way.

I think they created a false sense of urgency for customers to buy by year end knowing that they will discount the cars right after. My dealer even stated today that further discounts to the MSRP will likely happen as the tax credit keeps getting reduced.

What is the real value of our cars if they keep cutting the price like this? Being in VA, my annual property is still going to be at a pre-tax credit valuation. Oh well....

I called up my dealer to initiate a car return since I took delivery on 12/31 and dealership was closed yesterday. They said 'no return' since it's beyond the 1 day period even though they were closed yesterday so technically today is the first business day in my opinion. But they apparently don't see it that way.

I think they created a false sense of urgency for customers to buy by year end knowing that they will discount the cars right after. My dealer even stated today that further discounts to the MSRP will likely happen as the tax credit keeps getting reduced.

What is the real value of our cars if they keep cutting the price like this? Being in VA, my annual property is still going to be at a pre-tax credit valuation. Oh well....

why are you returning the car. That makes no sense, yesterday was a holiday. I am sure you can lawyer up and win this one.

You must not value your time at all if you are going to go through all the process to then pay $1750 more for the car AND you'd have to wait a whole additional year to get your $3750 tax credit.

lol people crack me up. I highly recommend you return your car within the 3 day window and then buy it again in 2019 paying $1750 more overall.

Just to clarify, i'm being sarcastic.

All other makers have incentives and rebates that change per month, literally price difference in a day. Good luck returning a car to them let alone dealing with dealerships.

I doubt it will matter much. With teslas it's more about feature changes than model year. For instance, early 2019 model 3s will have AP HW 2.5 while later 2019 model 3s will come with AP HW 3 more than likely. Unless you wait for some kind of feature change the difference will be minimal.

Reactions: Scott7 and Non3Ya

Both VA and NC assess a car's estimated value before applying the property tax rate. It is annually better to have a 2018 than a 2019; one year older means less value. Sales tax is different and is applied on the net cost (price-tradein) but the price drop is not enough to make you even marginally better off by waiting. I hope the price cut is not your reason for returning it. Set the steering on sport and acceleration on standard and go drive hard on a country road, you'll keep it.

Reactions: SigNC
I just took delivery of a M3 Performance on 12/31 in order to take advantage of the $7500 credit.
So yes this 2K drop in price still puts me ahead by 1750 but the urgency to buy by year end would not have been there.

Is it your first Tesla or first EV? If so, I'm sure that after a week you will not think about the price tag anymore.

It would be more "why I have been waiting for so long" especially since you have the Model 3 Performance!!!

More importantly the issue I see is that the cars sold by year end were 2018 models.
If I were to buy in a months time I am sure any new order would be a 2019 model year.
That in itself would be worth more in the resale value in a couple of years down the road and more than the current 1750 savings!

I ordered the 3LR on October 15 and was $55k, at delivery on October 20 it dropped to $54k (I got the $1k back), today it's $51k...

In my opinion Tesla just devalued my 1 day old car significantly!

"Ça C'est La Vie..." . . . "That's life..."

It's not a model year change, like if there was a 450 miles range update, so honestly the impact is not so important especially after few years.

I imagine that the 2020 (?) Roadster 600 miles range will be a big blow for many EVs....

Last edited:
Believe that Tesla was pretty smart about this.

The end of year tax credit created tremendous demand, and Tesla was able to ramp up production higher than ever before. They began to batch produce many cars, so could quickly process last minute orders.

This increased production rate reduced their costs and they are now able to reduce prices a bit, which partially offsets the new, lower tax credits.

The new, lower price, will also increase demand in the 1st quarter.

Nobody is due a refund.

Reactions: geometro
I honestly cant even understand ANYONE talking about "refunds" in this situation.

1. The effective price is actually 1750 higher than on december 31st.
2. People who say " But I cant take the entire tax credit, so this hurts me".. well it was hurting you before, and you KNEW you could not take the entire tax credit.
3. For those that say "but I am not even saving 1750 over those doing it now, because of tax... ok so you are saving 1300-1400 or so. How many cars have you purchased where you were willing to pay 1400 more? Said another way, how many times have you (for a regular ICE car) negotiated a deal and "not cared" about a price that is 1400 higher?
4. Anyone getting the 3750 tax credit on January 1st 2019 would have to wait until 2020 , so they have to wait another 52 weeks for their money, minimum. People buying on December 31st can file taxes this year, and get their refunds in weeks, not months.

How people can turn this into "Tesla needs to pay me 2k" and really mean it is using really strange, revisionist math. This is NOTHING like the people who were upset at the performance upgrade pack price reduction. THEY actually suffered a loss. NO ONE who bought at december 31st has "suffered" any sort of loss, unless they cant take the full tax 7500 tax credit... and if thats the case THEY KNEW IT ON DECEMBER 31st, and there should have been no rush for them to buy anyway in that case.