Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price hike

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Feeling a little bit smug as I ordered my Y in March instead of waiting for my lease to end next year for this exact reason.
But it’s also a shame as these cars are now becoming ever more unobtainable. They’re supposed to be getting cheaper!
It’s also odd that the gap between the M3 and MY is so small in the U.K.

Looking at pricing from when I bought our M3 LR March 2021, £/$ was 1.37, today its 1.23, so almost all of that price rise can be put down to the £ tanking and perhaps the loss of the PICG. To buy our LR with the same spec is nearly £10k more today. I don't think we could justify that if we were buying it now. The SR is now the same base price as the LR was March 2021

• Informative
Reactions: Chickenlips
It’s also odd that the gap between the M3 and MY is so small in the U.K.
Base models of both.
M3 delivery is 6 months longer than the M3 delivery at the moment. That probably tells you all you need to know

1655452889638.png

1655452934721.png

lucked out twice - bought my SR+ like 1 second before the previous grant was removed, then replaced with a M2LR when it was still £49k (although paid for MSM to get it faster). At this point Tesla are effectively neutralising depreciation for existing owners.

Its a not unexpected approach to reducing demand in the short term, but what do they do in the long term? If they build more capacity they need to be careful that they are confident demand will come back when they drop prices again. Bearing in mind the competition these days thats not guaranteed.

Reactions: Temper Tantrum
I think the plan was more. swap the one I don't have yet 6-12 months after I get it for the latest spec, a different colour and no extra money. Plus give me an excuse to continue to hang out on the shipping thread. I am not sure though, I need to I need to check with Mr Cuervo, (Jose to me, we are on first name terms)
moved to welsh dude, named Penderyn... :D

We ordered our M3 last last year, and picked up an inventory car in late Feb. M3 LR + 19's for £51,490, £7.5k down and £650 ish on PCP. It's the most expensive car we've bought .. it was supposed to be a 1/2 sensible purchase as me and the missus ran 2 cars and since we walk a lot, do a fair amount of short trips going down to one seemed a sensible move.

Really glad we did now. I don't think we'd be considering the same car now with it being £7.5 more expensive + PCP rate also higher. Yes we could afford it but for all the miles we do paying over £700 a month for a car just doesn't make sense for us. I'd have kept the Cayman, and the missus would probably have been in a Mini E.

How much higher can they go? I guess I'd get more for it now selling it/trading it in than we paid for it 🤨

Could I go back to paying £450 road tax + £2/litre for petrol .. hmmm?

Did a trade in quote on my 2020 (March) M3P in lieu of these price rises, wondering whether or not they would be reflected in a price bump for the trade in, but the opposite is the case.

Offer has gone from £52,400 to £48,600.

Would be over £20k to switch to a 2022 M3P with FSD now. Crazy.

I'm glad I'm PX at the old, old prices so saving £7.5K. I'll struggle to justify paying over £60K for a Model 3 to replace it next time.

I wonder if I should just place a new order now, then flip the car in 6 months for profit? Only sees to be a £200 risk for a £7.5K upside, best investment I've seen for a while.

we need a graph showing where the big increases came from. SR+ was 39990 in 2021 I thought? or 2020 maybe so thats gone up a lot
there was a story in the press the other day about EV depreciation. the SR+ was singled out as a winner at only 15% they said:

"Meanwhile it was Teslas that held their value best, with the Model 3 standard version dropping just 15 percent in the first three years of ownership.
Buyers can pick one up now for £48,590 brand new whereas, on a 69 plate, they average £41,348 losing just over £7,000."

I was like yeah but that's not how it works. a 69 plate only cost about 40K new at the time so the actual depreciation here is about -2% 🤣