Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price hike

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y EAP 20 is now $73000 . Equivalent in UK with duty and VAT with the £ trussed down is over £80k
That is true but there are some other factors to consider.

Car makers sell cars for what they can. The UK would not support that pricing.
The delivery times in the US are currently 3-7 months . Looks like they can easily sell every car they make.
in the UK it is 2-3 months. In July the ETA for an MY was January i.e. 6 months. Now it is November to December so it less than halved in 2 months and it may well carry on going down. It was 6-8 weeks back in March before the covid shutdown and we may well be headed back there or below.
Delivery dates in China are down to a few weeks so it looks as if Tesla is getting to a point where they may be able to make more cars than they can sell (in the short term) That is not the time to raise prices.
Also I would expect the unit cost to make a car is lower in China than the US. The China factory is state of the art and labour and part costs are lower even if the car has to be shipped so there is probably more profit on a UK MY even now than there is on a US sold one, especially one made in California.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Car makers sell cars for what they can. The UK would not support that pricing.
The other conclusion of course is that we’re rapidly becoming poorer as a nation. You don’t see many Teslas in poor countries, and not because their “market would not support that pricing”. It’s because Tesla realise that people in poor countries can’t afford their cars. The consequences of the last 14 years of political decisions will eventually be evident.

Reactions: Kenners
If March this year is anything to go by when Tesla was potentially facing a shortfall in expected orders for the quarter for the MY ( delivery was down to 6 weeks) what we saw was a huge price increase in the M3 (which they could not deliver any time soon anyway ) and significantly inflated trade-in prices like 7K higher than WBAC at the time in my case against an MY LR.
I don't think Tesla like to Drop prices ( who does) especially if they think it is short term so they appear to use methods like that to manipulate the order book rather than dropping the price since if they do that they have to do it for all existing orders.

Production of Model Y is being ramped up, and it shows, if the EDD of the configurator is anything to go by.

But with scares of rising interest rates, going into recession and rising energy costs etc I wonder if Tesla will sell as much as they hope to sell with the prices they are asking for.