Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price increase? [posted 06.16.2022]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think what’s actually happening is that the MSRP of the car is priced according to how much federal tax credit is available, e.g., the MSRP is increased when the available tax credit is high, then reduced accordingly as the tax credit is phased out, to offset what the buyer can’t recoup

With the rising demand for EVs, there is no reason those companies should reduce their prices, unless they want to terminate their products.

By Monday I’ll have about 4200 miles on my M3P in 6 weeks of ownership, with about half being highway trips largely powered by Superchargers. I have also done an Autocross event, and expect to begin doing those somewhat regularly.

Given my use case, and the overall satisfaction I have from the vehicle itself, no way in hell would I consider an I4 M50 for 7-10k more (after the tax rebate) and with an extra 6-9 month delay. The I4 may have a few extra niceties, but I did not appreciate how impressive the Tesla charging network was until I tried and failed on 4 occasions to use other brands’ chargers (I.e all broken, or the one working stall being full despite nobody checking in on PlugShare). Fortunately each case was a “we are going to [venue] so I’ll plug in to this J1772 charger for some extra juice,” so none of the disappointments left me actually searching for power.

Plus, to be frank, I am actually pretty willing to support Elon’s philosophies on EV development and adoption.
If it’s available near you, sign up for a BMW drive event featuring the i4 in autocross. M3LR owner and drove an i4 in an event a couple of weekends ago…mind blowing. You might change your mind. Being a former BMW owner however, reliability would give me pause…

Hard to believe the MY is now 16K higher than when I bought last July. I would not buy at this price. I simply could not afford it.
I understand the supply and demand makes sense for Tesla, but I think the new pricing has put these cars out of reach of many people.

If only I bought 2 (or 3) ;)

Reactions: Zer0t and Sam1
Hard to believe the MY is now 16K higher than when I bought last July. I would not buy at this price. I simply could not afford it.
I understand the supply and demand makes sense for Tesla, but I think the new pricing has put these cars out of reach of many people.

If only I bought 2 (or 3) ;)
To be precise, you wouldn't get the MY until next July if you ordered today, so this price is really for a year from now :)

For new orders, an M3P is a no brainer.

If it were 5k difference back when I ordered, I would've totally went with the P over the LR, but then again, at current prices I don't know if I would've went with a Model 3 in the first place.

For new orders, an M3P is a no brainer.

If it were 5k difference back when I ordered, I would've totally went with the P over the LR, but then again, at current prices I don't know if I would've went with a Model 3 in the first place.
I don't know if I would pay more for less range. These two trims have their target customers.

Reactions: rjpjnk
If it’s available near you, sign up for a BMW drive event featuring the i4 in autocross. M3LR owner and drove an i4 in an event a couple of weekends ago…mind blowing. You might change your mind. Being a former BMW owner however, reliability would give me pause…
Were the reliability issues you experienced with BMW primarily related the ICE specific parts (engine, transmission, exhaust etc.) or the whole car?

Right! 16K more *and* a 12 month wait. So sad.
We can only hope inflation doesn't continue so that even today's price looks cheap a year from now. ;)
no worries... once the recession kicks in and the FED cant lower rates to counteract because inflation is still way too high... and companies start lay-offs, houses being foreclosed when that ARM now is 6%+ and no longer 3% ... at that point buying a $66k sub compact electric SUV is no longer a necessity.

• Informative
Reactions: rjpjnk and Sam1
no worries... once the recession kicks in and the FED cant lower rates to counteract because inflation is still way too high... and companies start lay-offs, houses being foreclosed when that ARM now is 6%+ and no longer 3% ... at that point buying a $66k sub compact electric SUV is no longer a necessity.
Tesla has reduced prices before. They certainly can do that again.

Fair enough! Though, while I don’t doubt the I4 M50 from the factory has a more motorsports-capable suspension and brake system, I already have $5k worth of MPP parts sitting in my garage that will certainly even some of that out :p .