Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price increases 3/18. Will FSD option go up as well?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where does it say if you purchase FSD today for 2k, you will be ensured an upgrade to HW 3.0? I currently have a HW
2.5 car.

THIS! I have EAP and am concerned about buying FSD based on text on the website buy button versus Elon's tweets comments. I am not convinced those are the same thing. It's so unclear what I'm really buying at this point. e.g. he said you get into the early access program, but thats not in writing either on the buy button.

Reactions: am_dmd
THIS! I have EAP and am concerned about buying FSD based on text on the website buy button versus Elon's tweets comments. I am not convinced those are the same thing. It's so unclear what I'm really buying at this point. e.g. he said you get into the early access program, but thats not in writing either on the buy button.

I am more than sure he was referring to those that bought FSD on their cars at order for $5,000 as far back as 2.5 years ago....kinda like throwing a bone to make us feel better. Trying to find the link but pretty certain of it.

Depends on whether you are referring to the NEW FSD definition or the one that was sold to us before more than 2.5 weeks ago

Since we seem to disagree about the FSD definition changing, can you please detail the listing of what deliverables are now considered FSD, and what deliverables were FSD 2.5 years ago? Specifically what is NO LONGER included or has been erased.

So far all that I've heard is "Tesla Network", and that was still in the cards as recently as 4 months ago.

Since we seem to disagree about the FSD definition changing, can you please detail the listing of what deliverables are now considered FSD, and what deliverables were FSD 2.5 years ago? Specifically what is NO LONGER included or has been erased.

So far all that I've heard is "Tesla Network", and that was still in the cards as recently as 4 months ago.

I’ll attach the two online order screens and they are markedly different.

The NEW FSD lists what was previously considered EAP with an additional “coming later this year” for automatic driving on city streets. If you’ll look up a couple of lines it shows the same as NOA which we have today. That means hands on wheels and nags not hands free. There is also a line for recognizing stop signs and traffic lights so not sure what will actually happen there. Keep in mind this is all hands on the wheel and no self driving as FSD would imply..

The old FSD screen basically describes what most of us would actually describe FSD as. Get in your car and it will use your calendar to take you to your destination WITHOUT driver input, you’ll get out and your car will go park itself and return to you with the press of a button on your phone.

BTW in the beginning AP1 had equally grandiose proclamations based on the then current hardware that magically disappeared as well.

Hope this helps.

151AC45D-F6A1-4E16-9012-B7A9D94959AD.png

OLD

CD1715C0-4E3C-457F-B7F7-C84DCF6DE15E.jpeg

44FD8737-5A39-4158-9B47-E572CE3ABFA9.jpeg

I’ll attach the two online order screens and they are markedly different.

The NEW FSD lists what was previously considered EAP with an additional “coming later this year” for automatic driving on city streets. If you’ll look up a couple of lines it shows the same as NOA which we have today. That means hands on wheels and nags not hands free. There is also a line for recognizing stop signs and traffic lights so not sure what will actually happen there. Keep in mind this is all hands on the wheel and no self driving as FSD would imply..

The old FSD screen basically describes what most of us would actually describe FSD as. Get in your car and it will use your calendar to take you to your destination WITHOUT driver input, you’ll get out and your car will go park itself and return to you with the press of a button on your phone.

BTW in the beginning AP1 had equally grandiose proclamations based on the then current hardware that magically disappeared as well.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 386115

OLD

View attachment 386116

View attachment 386117

OK, so the only real beef that I'm seeing is that NoA is being considered FSD now, and that as of today it is hands on wheel required. So if in a new firmware coming out they disable the hands on wheel/nag requirement for FSD purchasers (which they've said will happen very soon), then you would be happy that FSD is truly not "neutered"? Once you add the stop light functionality, what more actually missing from the "full self-driving" moniker? The car will literally drive itself under those conditions. I could maybe see the argument that you can't really take a nap under those conditions, as it's not proven, but technically people take naps right now with AP... so is that now the crux of the argument?

• Disagree
OK, so the only real beef that I'm seeing is that NoA is being considered FSD now, and that as of today it is hands on wheel required. So if in a new firmware coming out they disable the hands on wheel/nag requirement for FSD purchasers (which they've said will happen very soon), then you would be happy that FSD is truly not "neutered"? Once you add the stop light functionality, what more actually missing from the "full self-driving" moniker? The car will literally drive itself under those conditions. I could maybe see the argument that you can't really take a nap under those conditions, as it's not proven, but technically people take naps right now with AP... so is that now the crux of the argument?

I have heard no mention of “disable the hands on wheel/nag requirement for FSD purchasers (which they've said will happen very soon),” anywhere by anyone Elon or Tesla

This part is missing from your response - “the entire paragraph about the old FSD descriptions.” Conveniently missing from anywhere on the new FSD order page.
That’s what the beef is with.

I bit. Oh well (see sig). I would like to just see less freeway nags. I spend my time on high speed open roads. Not bumper to bumper. Beat me to it on the thought @boonedocks . Not sure I can deal with streetlights at this moment. Would like more accurate speed sign recognition. That would make it two things. I am a needy consumer. I got something on sale(or so I think) and I want more. Go figure.o_O

I have heard no mention of “disable the hands on wheel/nag requirement for FSD purchasers (which they've said will happen very soon),” anywhere by anyone Elon or Tesla

This part is missing from your response - “the entire paragraph about the old FSD descriptions.” Conveniently missing from anywhere on the new FSD order page.
That’s what the beef is with.

Tesla to Remove Stalk-Confirm for Navigate on Autopilot - Tesla Motors Club

There is confirmation that the nag requirement for NoA will be going away.

The entire paragraph is all semantics, as paragraphs are always being changed and refined on websites. The features and capabilities are what matters, and honestly, I see no differences.

Reactions: D.E.
Tesla to Remove Stalk-Confirm for Navigate on Autopilot - Tesla Motors Club

There is confirmation that the nag requirement for NoA will be going away.

The entire paragraph is all semantics, as paragraphs are always being changed and refined on websites. The features and capabilities are what matters, and honestly, I see no differences.

Well we can certainly agree to disagree.

BTW that reference is by no means a reliable source nor confirmation. Not that it matter in terms of the FSD discussion here.

Additionally what you are quoting as FSD features are actually EAP features I purchased over 2 years ago...please read the description:

124E64CE-4908-4DF2-8E7B-393007E20982.jpeg

Last edited:
As long as people drive under left turning tractor trailers and wallop into the backs of stopped fire engines, I don’t think that nag is going to go away.

If the person has hands on the wheel Tesla can make a case for them being in charge of driving the car, so running into things is driver error. With the nag disabled the assumption is that the car is safe without the driver paying attention so it becomes a car problem. Tesla would be nuts to remove the nag any time soon.

Even if the car does become fully self driving, I think that steering wheel nag will be with us for a very long time, perhaps forever.

BTW, I noticed the car automatically took an appointment from my Apple calendar app and automatically entered the destination in the navigation screen. I hadn’t seen that before. It took the address from the “location” field in the appointment calendar.

Last edited:
From Tesletter
Tesla dropped FSD and AP for owners but Elon just announced that prices are going back to normal on Monday. This is after a few Tesla owners who already purchased EAP complained about having to pay more for FSD than people who didn't. If you own a Tesla and you want to take advantage of the lower prices for FSD or AP, hurry up and get them before Monday.

To answer your question. You get nothing now. You buy into the promise of good things later. How much later is anyone’s guess. I bought it. I guess it depends on whether you plan to keep your Tesla or not. If you plan to keep it forever and you want the upcoming software, then you might consider buying it. If you are skeptical about the promises, or you plan to trade cars, then you might choose not to. There is rumor of a computer upgrade with a large increase in processing power. Version 1 to 2 was a 40X increase. Someone, I think Musk, said 3 offers 1000% faster, so that’s 10X. You’re probably at 2.5, I don’t know where that fits.

I like what Tesla has done so far, so for me this is a discounted opportunity to remain on the cutting edge. Not everyone likes the cutting edge. Most here probably do or they’d have bought something else.

Not hellishly helpful, I know. At the moment, it’s all we know.

I just paid for the upgrade. However, I'm unclear as to whether I will receive the upcoming new chip?

From another TMC thread where a member ordered FSD. Very discerning that it is only an specifically mentioning future software upgrades.

View attachment 386990

That was me that posted the original pic, someone else circled the key point - If you go to your account and click BUY you then get that screen. You don't have to complete the order to see it.

I remain on the fence but want my decision to be an informed one, whichever way I go. In that spirit I called a few times today, each time being told either it is “software only” or “almost definitely includes” HW 3. I decided to see if a chat on their site would be more helpful.

Turns out it was. It’s still not a contract and has a little wiggle room, but the attached screenshot is of the key part of our exchange. Based on it, I’m more comfortable making my decision. Hopefully it will help a few other folks here, too. I won’t cross post but feel free to elsewhere if you think it will ease the mystery.

84CC3663-FF8D-4F34-83EF-417B8EEF5BF3.jpeg

I remain on the fence but want my decision to be an informed one, whichever way I go. In that spirit I called a few times today, each time being told either it is “software only” or “almost definitely includes” HW 3. I decided to see if a chat on their site would be more helpful.

Turns out it was. It’s still not a contract and has a little wiggle room, but the attached screenshot is of the key part of our exchange. Based on it, I’m more comfortable making my decision. Hopefully it will help a few other folks here, too. I won’t cross post but feel free to elsewhere if you think it will ease the mystery.

View attachment 387194
Nothing here says WHEN you will get the HW3 hardware. People who got AP2 were promised hardware upgrades if needed for FSD, yet nobody got a AP2.5 to enable sentry mode or dashcam. HW3 will likely be the same. Unless there is a feature listed in the new FSD description which cannot be done with your current hardware, you won't get it, even if the new hardware does this things better or faster - think MCU2 vs. MCU1, there is nothing MCU2 does that MCU1 can't, just slower. And even if the HW3 retrofit will become necessary, it may take months for years or it to become available (like upgradable battery Elon told us would be available a couple of years ago). If Tesla is strapped for cash, they'll use any fine print excuse not to give you HW3, possibly even "HW4 is coming, you'll need it anyways, so no reason to upgrade now".