Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price of DM increased again, this time to $6,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an AWD Model 3 configured and I was ready to order...

I refreshed the page to double check everything and show my wife the order and the price was higher! Gah!

$5k was pushing it and I was already on the fence. Looks like I'm ordering a RWD!

You have to do what makes sense for your situation and budget. But depending on why you were ordering AWD I would recommend taking a hard look before you walk away from it for $1000 on a ~$60,000 car.

In five years what is going to matter more? Having AWD on your car or that $1000? I live in a place where RWD was never going to be an option for me. I consider AWD a safety feature of my cars.

Reactions: SSonnentag
You have to do what makes sense for your situation and budget. But depending on why you were ordering AWD I would recommend taking a hard look before you walk away from it for $1000 on a ~$60,000 car.

In five years what is going to matter more? Having AWD on your car or that $1000? I live in a place where RWD was never going to be an option for me. I consider AWD a safety feature of my cars.

He's in Tucson ... AWD probably an overkill to start with ;)

AWD and Performance pricing delta is still the same
No, the delta has decreased to $9K, it was $10K. Here is what I see:

BD0148E4-9FC6-4A4D-A09A-98B637273693.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
I would go AWD still. I predicted this move over two months ago. Demand is completely inelastic at 4K, and 5K so they need to go 6K.
I agree. That is the likely explanation for the price increase. Tesla is focused on becoming profitable as soon as possible. Model 3 Dual Motor demand is probably higher than they anticipated. They can increase their profit margin by raising the price of that option. Yes, some people will decide not to order Dual Motor. But the vast majority likely will.

If Tesla’s analysis doesn’t work out they can always drop the price. But they don’t do this kind of thing on a whim. They have data about option take rates, production costs, and margins that we don’t have. They know what they are doing.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
Wrong. He said they have binned motors. I remain highly skeptical that there are any differences. Perhaps a small % of dual motor cars have motors that didn't pass the binning for P.

The biggest mystery that blows my mind is where are the AWD and Performance badges/spoilers? Not like they matter, but how the hell can you do things like motor sorting but can't come up with some stickers?!!?

It's definitely going to be Tesla's best interest to have enough consistency that a AWD Motor is interchangeable with a P motor. However at the end of the day, even if it is a software unlock its well within Tesla's rights to charge 9-11K for that.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
The biggest mystery that blows my mind is where are the AWD and Performance badges/spoilers? Not like they matter, but how the hell can you do things like motor sorting but can't come up with some stickers?!!?

It's definitely going to be Tesla's best interest to have enough consistency that a AWD Motor is interchangeable with a P motor. However at the end of the day, even if it is a software unlock its well within Tesla's rights to charge 9-11K for that.

More important than that is building dual motor cars, then a customer orders P, you flip the switch in software and 'presto' that car is now a P version.

There might be an op code in the cars firmware that identifies if a specific one has motors that passed P requirements. Or, as I suspect, they all do and the "binned motors" thing is more of a marketing gimmick.

I wonder if with the price increases on dual motor Tesla is going to feel pressure to increase the performance a bit. The dual motor car is quick, but not as quick as some German competitors in the same price range.

Reactions: gavine
More important than that is building dual motor cars, then a customer orders P, you flip the switch in software and 'presto' that car is now a P version.

There might be an op code in the cars firmware that identifies if a specific one has motors that passed P requirements. Or, as I suspect, they all do and the "binned motors" thing is more of a marketing gimmick.

I wonder if with the price increases on dual motor Tesla is going to feel pressure to increase the performance a bit. The dual motor car is quick, but not as quick as some German competitors in the same price range.

Oh, absolutely Tesla can get more juice from the motors. They have done it before. They dropped the X 0-60 times by over 1 second with a software patch.

The X is a bloated whale and they were able to do it. Not only did they do it, but they also retroactively patched cars that were 18 months older.

New Tesla Model S & Model X Get Performance Boost: Up To 1.2 Seconds Off 0-60 Times

Will they and how much will they charge is the question for the Model 3s. :)

LOL! OK, fair enough. But at least we get to warm up when we go back home after skiing. :D

Yes, you get to broil, I mean warm up.

I never had the pleasure of experiencing opening my car door, seeing the shimmering waves of heat emanating from the 200 degree street and observing the seals of my car door melting until I had visited that oven called Phoenix.

Then watching the local news from the comfort of my hotel room and observing the giggling reporter showing how it was a "you can cook an egg on the sidewalk day" by demonstrating that you could cook an egg on the sidewalk.

:)