Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price of DM increased again, this time to $6,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you get to broil, I mean warm up.

I never had the pleasure of experiencing opening my car door, seeing the shimmering waves of heat emanating from the 200 degree street and observing the seals of my car door melting until I had visited that oven called Phoenix.

Then watching the local news from the comfort of my hotel room and observing the giggling reporter showing how it was a "you can cook an egg on the sidewalk day" by demonstrating that you could cook an egg on the sidewalk.

:)

It does get a bit toasty, but only for 9 months of the year. :)

According to a couple of random websites I found using Google, asphalt in Arizona only reaches a balmy 172 degrees in the summer. No wonder my feet hurt when I run out barefoot to get something out of the car. Hmmmmm.

Yes, you get to broil, I mean warm up.

I never had the pleasure of experiencing opening my car door, seeing the shimmering waves of heat emanating from the 200 degree street and observing the seals of my car door melting until I had visited that oven called Phoenix.

Then watching the local news from the comfort of my hotel room and observing the giggling reporter showing how it was a "you can cook an egg on the sidewalk day" by demonstrating that you could cook an egg on the sidewalk.

:)

After eating in a restaurant with A/C cranked down it is a real pleasure to hit the parking lot, briefly, and warm up again. And we get to enjoy the reporters out in the snow in some other city showing how snowy and cold it is. I'd definitely be in trouble in a cold climate.

No, the delta has decreased to $9K, it was $10K. Here is what I see:

I was going to respond to his post last night with what you posted, but his quoted context was of an "existing AWD order" which means if he was referring to an "existing AWD order", then yes, the delta between AWD and Performance is still the same because the price of the Performance didn't change when they increased the price of Dual Motor (Non-Performance).

I could be entirely wrong however. :)

I was going to respond to his post last night with what you posted, but his quoted context was of an "existing AWD order" which means if he was referring to an "existing AWD order", then yes, the delta between AWD and Performance is still the same because the price of the Performance didn't change when they increased the price of Dual Motor (Non-Performance).

I could be entirely wrong however. :)
You read my late night brain...lol

• Funny
Reactions: Kermee
I live in a place where RWD was never going to be an option for me. I consider AWD a safety feature of my cars.

As others at TMC have pointed out, when Model S had the RWD option it would only bring advantages to pay for that.

However with Model 3, AWD actually reduces the range. So some people (myself included) will ask themselves, why pay more to get less?

By the time I get a reasonable idea of my (EU) delivery date, there may be more information regarding supercharging at the Model 3's maximum supported charging current (of 525 A), and if the charging time seems impressive enough I may still pay for AWD. However, at this time I am not sure and can understand why others would save the 6k$. In fact, not getting AWD would instead let me buy a very decent solar installation.

Tesla has committed to being profitable going forward and they need to follow through. These little changes in pricing must be a way to address the current supply/demand situation in order to fine-tune the Q3 and Q4 numbers to their liking.

Plus paint quality has been an issue, so eliminating some colors could help there, too.

The biggest mystery that blows my mind is where are the AWD and Performance badges/spoilers? Not like they matter, but how the hell can you do things like motor sorting but can't come up with some stickers?!!?

It's definitely going to be Tesla's best interest to have enough consistency that a AWD Motor is interchangeable with a P motor. However at the end of the day, even if it is a software unlock its well within Tesla's rights to charge 9-11K for that.

I kind of like the clean trunk and won't be putting on a dual motor badge most likely.

Reactions: lklundin
I was a bit surprised when the reduced range of the AWD Model 3 was announced. With the advanced traction control, there isn't much need for AWD for everyday driving. Acceleration performance and extreme conditions such as mud or deep snow may be the only real advantages to AWD. Tire wear may be another advantage as the tires on my 100D all seem to wear evenly and at the same rate, making rotating unnecessary.

I was a bit surprised when the reduced range of the AWD Model 3 was announced. With the advanced traction control, there isn't much need for AWD for everyday driving. Acceleration performance and extreme conditions such as mud or deep snow may be the only real advantages to AWD. Tire wear may be another advantage as the tires on my 100D all seem to wear evenly and at the same rate, making rotating unnecessary.

I'm in NC... significantly better acceleration and handling are the only reasons I paid 4k more for AWD. Those are a lot more important to me than a single-digit-% range difference.

Reactions: ebmcs03