Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pricing And true Market Value Opinion Needed

What is Market Value of this car

• 45-48

• 48-51

• 51-55

• 55+

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to add to "market" pricing and demand. I have a P85D(+) now that I adore. Once I swapped out the piano black decor for carbon fiber, it now is the *perfect* Tesla in my mind. (BTW, I paid $86k for it one year ago, private sale -- yes the market at that time was slightly lower, but the car was in great shape).

Since I don't want a P100D or any other model Tesla (at this point in time) if my car were totalled, you bet I'd pay a premium to acquire the exact same car again today. Maybe not $98k like the example above, but a premium nonetheless.

In fact there is one such car currently listed now for $75k:

Used Inventory | Tesla

Which many would say is over priced. If I needed to replace my P85D+, I'd be buying this car in a hot second. (If I had endless cash sitting around and more garage space, I'd be tempted to just buy it as a backup and send it to North Carolina to get a 100kWh pack installed. :) :eek:).

Reactions: whitex and jaguar36
When did you get yours?
Last week - 2/22/28

All the responses here are funny, actually. It’s safe to say that none of us are noobs that are uneducated about finances or supply/demand.
I will say that the latest newly “released” batch of CPO cars are priced very high to start with. One might even say “stupidly” priced. ;)
If someone wants to/is willing to pay ~$100K for a P85D, more power to them. It’s always about what’s on people’s priority list. Get a car now, budget, options, etc.
For me, mileage, budget, color, and some key options were paramount. So I filtered for Mileage first and then monitored cars with the right color and budget. After missing out on a couple cars because I waited too long, I set some triggers upward and pulled the trigger immediately once met. $68.6K after “dropping” 11K over the course of a month or so.
So I don’t think any of you are wrong. Just a matter of what’s (respectively) important and what people are willing to pay.

ps I got more than expected - now part of the P85D(+) club AND got UHFS (wasn’t listed) so am def happy to put it mildly

Last edited:
Reactions: P85Dave
Who said I am the market? Did I say I am the market? No I didn't, so let's stick to facts of disagreement.

Yes, I think anyone paying $101K for a 2014 P85D might not be the smartest person in the world. My point is most people with two functioning brain cells would not pay such an exorbitant price even if that was the only P85D CPO available to buy.

I'm not sure why you are so bent out of shape that someone pointed out some of the CPO inventory is absurdly overpriced and people should do their research and be careful what they buy to avoid overpaying.

As to your assertion that the CPO inventory is priced to sell, let's just agree to disagree on that.

I guess your fancy price distribution chart missed this 2014 P85D CPO that was offered for $101,900.
2014_P85_D101_K.jpg

Your advice is spot on. That 2014 P85D they were selling for $101K is the most absurdly priced CPO I have ever seen. They'll be lucky to sell that car for $75K. Anyone perusing the CPO inventory should be very careful so you don't become a sucker by buying an outrageously overpriced car.

There are few reasonable CPO deals available at the moment and anyone looking to buy should wait.

Pricing for Tesla's is pretty simple.

Highest price when you order a factory fresh vehicle, exactly to your specifications, perhaps getting a couple bonus features that come out between when you order and when it gets assembled. Get your choice of picking it up at the factory, and taking the tour, or have it sent to the delivery place of your choice, or even having it delivered to your home.

Little less expensive is a premade inventory car with few miles, and maybe a couple different options than you would have spec'd.

Less expensive is a showroom car with few miles. Might have some wear on a seat or something that they will replace prior to delivery.

Less expensive is a demo car with some miles on it. Some wear and tear, but full warranty and tax rebates.

Then comes pricing on used or Pre-Owned cars directly from Tesla. Some wear and tear and miles, but reconditioned and warranted by Tesla.

Then comes all the private sales of used cars. No inspections, variations in miles, not refurbished, scattered all around the world, must arrange own financing, own delivery, own inspections. Won't know about alignments, problems that may or may not have been repaired as DIY or at authorized/unauthorized service facilies. No charging history or preexisting issues.
These are not set at any discernable amount. Haggling is required. Many owners charge more than others, sometimes determined on their selling circumstances. Some need to sell quick, and others can wait for a better offer. The buyer often will not know the real motivation of the seller.

Buyers usually feel that the prices are too high, and sellers that they are too low, however the marketplace always seems to sort these things out.

In addition many buyers come on these forums to brag on what a great deal they got, and everyone else also wants to get one of these great deals.

Most everyone seems to feel they are getting the deal they want. They will shop until the find something acceptable, but then stop showing, never realizing that there might be an even better deal out there.

Some shop for the best vehicle for them, and are willing to pay the price. Others are shopping for the best price, and are willing to accept the vehicle they can get for the price. Both these people are accepting of the deal. Everyone seems to want to find the perfect car, at the perfect price, however these transactions are few and far between.

Reactions: whitex
Tesla just raised the prices of these two P85Ds by $16k and $20k!!

Used Inventory | Tesla (+$16,300)
Used Inventory | Tesla (:eek: +$20,600 )

Obviously, the more miles and years a CPO Tesla has, the more valuable it is :rolleyes:

Everybody get your CPO Tesla now, before it costs more than a new car :D

The reason these CPO cars did not sell earlier is because they were too cheap. Almost insulting to anyone who may want to buy one. With some nice $20K price increases people will line up to buy them...

Maybe this is a good time to sell my P85D. If only the Model S refresh was out already...

Last edited:
Tesla just raised the prices of these two P85Ds by $16k and $20k!!

Used Inventory | Tesla (+$16,300)
Used Inventory | Tesla (:eek: +$20,600 )

Their pricing model may have something to do with the number of available vehicles too. They just sold 2 out of 24 available P85D's, possibly more of P90D's or some other alternative that gets put in the same bucket. The price history of the 2nd one looks like this:
P85Dpricehistory.png
Or, maybe they figure reset the price so that someone looking in a month can see a drop and it will make it look more attractive. OR, maybe, just maybe, AP1 is appreciating as AP2 is not living up to the hype? :p P85D/P90D are the fastest cars you can get with AP1. ;)

Their pricing model may have something to do with the number of available vehicles too. They just sold 2 out of 24 available P85D's, possibly more of P90D's or some other alternative that gets put in the same bucket. The price

Unless you work for Tesla, there is no way for you to tell how many they sold. They list and remove CPO cars all the time. The fact that a car is removed from the CPO inventory ≠ they sold a car.

Since they have not listed many new CPO cars in a while and they ostensibly took in trade-ins during that time, they probably have hundreds of CPO cars to be listed at some point in the future.

Stay tuned for the next large batch of CPO cars to be listed any day now. In the meantime I should hurry up and list my car since Tesla has set the value of a CPO P85D approaching $100K :D Just wish when I knew the update is coming...

Tesla are in my opinion are manipulating the used market in the UK via their CPO listing. Wouldn’t surprise me to see them doing the same in the US.

In the the UK a 2 year old CPO Model S is listed at $4000 cheaper than a brand new one.

I wonder why too. In US I'm now listing 176 New inventory MS cars and in the UK 180 - thats a fair bit of inventory and thats just what I've found. But given they make about 2k cars a week, its not that much in the overall scheme of things. What I don't understand is why its so hard to shift some of this older stock, some are 2017 cars, they have presumably made 16k cars since the beginning of the year and yet they still have these on the books.