Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pricing changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My OA actually said differently. I ordered 6/29 and he said I can get the $1000 discount or else cancel and reorder with NO penalty on the deposit. I would still keep the $2500. The only loss here is a few weeks off delivery since it'll be a new order

That's the answer that I got too for my 7/8 order with a 7/11 confirmation. I took the plunge today and transferred my deposit over to the new config. It sets me back a couple weeks though... I'm at the back of the line again.

So I'm curious how you two are getting those answers while I'm getting the standard, "You'll have to cancel and lose your deposit" reply. Is your OA just that good? Did I just ask too late and Tesla has come down and stopped allowing this? With a 7/13 order and 7/16 confirmation, I'd think that I would fall into the category where they would allow it based on your dates. What did you select for desired delivery? The only thing I can think of is that I put first available and maybe that means they already allocated parts or something.

So I'm curious how you two are getting those answers while I'm getting the standard, "You'll have to cancel and lose your deposit" reply. Is your OA just that good? Did I just ask too late and Tesla has come down and stopped allowing this? With a 7/13 order and 7/16 confirmation, I'd think that I would fall into the category where they would allow it based on your dates. What did you select for desired delivery? The only thing I can think of is that I put first available and maybe that means they already allocated parts or something.

I'm in same boat as you greywithana. I ordered 7/8 & confirmed 7/11 and I'm getting same answer. Even though production hasn't started the parts have been allocated. As only option is to eat $2500 & reorder. I'm not going to do that unless there are more changes after Model 3 reveal. Curious as to why some are able to transfer & others are not.

I honestly don't know. I texted my OA on Saturday, but didn't get a response, so I called the toll free sales number and talked to someone there who gave me the scoop from Order Operations. Once I did get a hold of my OA, he was surprised by their answer and clearly stated that this was highly unusual. I selected first available, so I would have thought I would have been in the same boat as everyone else regarding already allocated parts. It did take me a full week to get a VIN after order confirmation. Seems like most others got same-day VINs, so perhaps my dates need to be shifted by a week to get normalized with what you're experiencing.

I'm not sure :confused:. I also chose first available for what that's worth. From reading this forum, it seems like there's quite a number of cases where OAs have differing responses. I'd recommend just contacting sales directly and see what they're saying. Obviously I wouldn't go through all that hassle unless you're certain you want to change up your order. Personally I am just going to enjoy the 1k off :)

Reactions: Bluejuice
The only part I'm disappointed about is that if air suspension had been an option just a week earlier, I would have paid for it. That said, I know I'm going to love me car even as is. And I'm definitely happy to get the discount. I'm just a bit disappointed that I can't trade that discount in for the air suspension.

My order is supposedly in "early production" which I assume means they've started sourcing parts. It's just not a status on the My Tesla page since all it says is that my car is scheduled for production. That doesn't feel all that set-in-stone to me, but I'm on the outside and don't know the details of the process. Mostly I just want to know the "why". I'm still super excited about the car. Probably too excited.

The only part I'm disappointed about is that if air suspension had been an option just a week earlier, I would have paid for it. That said, I know I'm going to love me car even as is. And I'm definitely happy to get the discount. I'm just a bit disappointed that I can't trade that discount in for the air suspension.

My order is supposedly in "early production" which I assume means they've started sourcing parts. It's just not a status on the My Tesla page since all it says is that my car is scheduled for production. That doesn't feel all that set-in-stone to me, but I'm on the outside and don't know the details of the process. Mostly I just want to know the "why". I'm still super excited about the car. Probably too excited.

Same here greywithana! Can't wait to get car. I've decided to just go with discount and not worry about getting air suspension. Not worth losing the discount and waiting another month. What I am curious to see though is if all 75's are shipping with an 85kwh battery pack. Hopefully we'll hear something at Model 3 reveal or shortly thereafter.

Reactions: greywithana

oh man...yeah that sucks. I hate how little detail they give us along the way. Though if it makes you feel any better, I heard that sas can break pretty often and isn't really utilized all that much. ymmv obviously depending on your situation. For me it would've been more of a cool factor than a practical use case.

Update here. After some back and forth and contrary answers, my OA has shifted my deposit onto a new order, no forfeiture of deposit. The SAS was a big enough deal for me on reflection, so I'm glad this worked out.

That's great news!

I was wondering...how long ago did you order the original car/make a deposit? Maybe they haven't begun production yet and that allows them the ability to modify and change orders. Maybe? If a car is already "on the line" being produced I would guess that they would be far less likely to allow changes and cancellations.

Just guessing.

That's great news!

I was wondering...how long ago did you order the original car/make a deposit? Maybe they haven't begun production yet and that allows them the ability to modify and change orders. Maybe? If a car is already "on the line" being produced I would guess that they would be far less likely to allow changes and cancellations.

Just guessing.

Ordered July 11, confirmed July 14. It was in "production," but according to my DS it was not being built and weeks away from that. I am fairly certain if it was actually "on the line" the answer would have been a hard no. As it was, it took some time for my OA to get whatever approval he needed. I owe him a bottle of wine or something!

Update here. After some back and forth and contrary answers, my OA has shifted my deposit onto a new order, no forfeiture of deposit. The SAS was a big enough deal for me on reflection, so I'm glad this worked out.
SK29, what changed from the initial "no, we can't do this for you" to the "sure, we can make that happen"? Did your OA elevate this to his/her manager? Did you call the Tesla sales office directly? Any detail you could provide would be useful.

I've been hearing a consistent "no, we can't transfer the $2,500 to a new order, you'd need to eat the initial payment and pursue a new order" from my OA but he elevated to his manager last week. As far as I know, we are still waiting for an answer (although I just emailed my OA again).

I am really happy that some people are getting to transfer their down payment but I must admit I'm getting frustrated that there is no uniformity from Tesla. Some people can transfer while others cannot. Seems kind of lame.

SK29, what changed from the initial "no, we can't do this for you" to the "sure, we can make that happen"? Did your OA elevate this to his/her manager? Did you call the Tesla sales office directly? Any detail you could provide would be useful.

I've been hearing a consistent "no, we can't transfer the $2,500 to a new order, you'd need to eat the initial payment and pursue a new order" from my OA but he elevated to his manager last week. As far as I know, we are still waiting for an answer (although I just emailed my OA again).

I am really happy that some people are getting to transfer their down payment but I must admit I'm getting frustrated that there is no uniformity from Tesla. Some people can transfer while others cannot. Seems kind of lame.

Same here they are holding a tough line with me. If you get this figured out message me.

Little background. The pricing changes happened over the weekend, and the next Tuesday I e-mailed my OA and DS asking what happened, what my options were, and confirming how certain of my choices would work on the new packages vs the old (specifically XM radio on non-sunroof cars). I had also specifically e-mailed my OA as soon as my order was placed asking about SAS, and was told only available on the 100.

I did not hear back for a couple of days, so I e-mailed again. I did not hear back again for a couple of days, so again I e-mailed. I then received e-mail response from my OA who stated he had been out of town, and we had a back and forth on my questions, ending with since my car is only a week from being done (BS - DS stated it wouldn't start being built for a couple of weeks), nothing he could do. I left that e-mail alone, got a call from my DS and explained the issue and he said call him if I needed help.

Saturday I called the Tesla order line, explained the situation. The lady went and looked things up and mentioned since my production was somewhat along, she'd get my OA to talk to me about options. I mentioned I'd gone down this route, and insisted on the store manager or someone else to get back to me. She agreed. I then called my DS and told him the same thing. He said he would reach out directly to my OA and talk to him.

Roughly 6 hours later (I called the Tesla line as soon as they opened), I got a call/text from my OA letting me know he had news. The news was good news! They would transfer over. Just save the new model how I wanted and they'd transfer the deposit.

So, I didn't do anything in particular - however, I was not willing to take no for an answer and kept pushing with every avenue I could.

In the end, my OA and DS did what they had to do and I owe them. I understand them having to give me the party line - that just wasn't acceptable to me.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: haferc
Little background. The pricing changes happened over the weekend, and the next Tuesday I e-mailed my OA and DS asking what happened, what my options were, and confirming how certain of my choices would work on the new packages vs the old (specifically XM radio on non-sunroof cars). I had also specifically e-mailed my OA as soon as my order was placed asking about SAS, and was told only available on the 100.

I did not hear back for a couple of days, so I e-mailed again. I did not hear back again for a couple of days, so again I e-mailed. I then received e-mail response from my OA who stated he had been out of town, and we had a back and forth on my questions, ending with since my car is only a week from being done (BS - DS stated it wouldn't start being built for a couple of weeks), nothing he could do. I left that e-mail alone, got a call from my DS and explained the issue and he said call him if I needed help.

Saturday I called the Tesla order line, explained the situation. The lady went and looked things up and mentioned since my production was somewhat along, she'd get my OA to talk to me about options. I mentioned I'd gone down this route, and insisted on the store manager or someone else to get back to me. She agreed. I then called my DS and told him the same thing. He said he would reach out directly to my OA and talk to him.

Roughly 6 hours later (I called the Tesla line as soon as they opened), I got a call/text from my OA letting me know he had news. The news was good news! They would transfer over. Just save the new model how I wanted and they'd transfer the deposit.

So, I didn't do anything in particular - however, I was not willing to take no for an answer and kept pushing with every avenue I could.

In the end, my OA and DS did what they had to do and I owe them. I understand them having to give me the party line - that just wasn't acceptable to me.

Hope this helps!

WTF? I am going to make this a consumer regulatory matter/legal matter. I have never been treated worse by a company at the same time they make so many errors. Breathtakingly bad. And yes this does help. Thank you.

My OA did the same for me. Ordered after the performance improvements, but before the SAS and other improvements became standard. Initially told I'd have to eat the deposit, so I decided to keep my order the way it was. A couple days later, my OA called to let me know he could transfer my deposit to a new order-- so no cost to me other than waiting a few extra weeks.

Maybe it takes them a little effort to update the orders once in the system but not actually started real production. So they normally avoid it but perhaps if you keep bugging them they will update the system. Or as was suggested, ModelS sales might be slowing so they want to keep every order.