Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Private Model 3 Viewing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe so, but this may be the only chance of having someone ask about winter testing before ordering begins. Whether they've taken into account SK winters where it gets down to -35 to -40 degrees. All indications are currently that they have designed it only for San Francisco winters. I want to know whether it'll keep the windows clear and car warm where it gets cold. Someone remind them that Musk's ancestral home is SK.

Why did they test the Model S in Baudette, Minnesota then? Does that simulate San Francisco winters?

Why can't they place a metal roof after the robots have done their job, just like you would for a glass roof?

I prefer less radiation and less noise and with less weight - which men's metal.

less radiation, wait does that mean I get better cell signal with the all glass roof? If so that's a reason I hadn't thought of, before I was indifferent, improve my cell reception and now I'm in favor of all glass.

Metal roof requires welding, which must be done before painting. Glass goes on after painting. It really does affect a lot of the production order.

Thank you kindly.

You glue it on. Seriously. Not new tech. They glue F-15's, they glue cars, they glue humans. Try to pull out your auto glass, good luck. That's glass and painted surface, and body flex at >200mph will not break the seal even on pickups. Lots of stuff uses modern quickset adhesives on high volume production lines of all kinds, especially automotive.

There are other reasons. No headliner, no dual inside trim, no dual testing procedures, no dual programming, etc, etc.

To keep costs down use one method. Pick one. They picked glass. I don't agree with it, but it wasn't my decision to make.

Reactions: DR61
Are you claiming that car manufacturers are gluing metal panels on the roofs of cars? Can you post a picture of such a thing?

Thank you kindly.

For at least a decade, adhesives have been used to increase chassis stiffness, reduce weight, reduce NVH, and improve crash ratings. It is a part of all modern auto construction.

There has been no need to use adhesives on roof panels that do not exist. Glass is glued in if the roof is glass, so if the piece was steel instead, they would do the same thing. No difference.

Many areas that are spot welded are also bonded to reduce the # of spot welds, improve strength, and reduce NVH.

Glass is glued in if the roof is glass, so if the piece was steel instead, they would do the same thing. No difference.

Just what i was thinking. We're not talking about a standard solid roof like most cars. It's merely a panel that covers the space between the two structural cross beams. There is no reason it shouldn't be installed in essentially the same way as a piece of glass is installed.

Reactions: DR61
Throwing my hat into the "would love to be a +1" ring as well.

Forum moderator count for anything? Actually, I am the one that requested this forum section in the first place before Model 3 was revealed...