Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Private Model 3 Viewing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If there is a +1 available, I can meet you and two other people (3 if you squeeze) at any Bay Area Airport, and provide transportation in my 2016 AP2, Refresh Model S to the event and or your hotel.

Factory tour may be a possibility, since I haven't used either of my owner tours yet.

Never seen a (steel) roof that was glued in. Pictures?

[Of course glass would be glued in, that was my point.]

Thank you kindly.

So, since you've never seen it, it's impossible? Gimme a break!

I own an small airplane (a Grumman Tiger) that is almost entirely glued together. It was built in 1976 - over 40 years ago - and not a single failed bond line, yet. I'd say gluing on a non-structural roof panel would be easy enough.

Maybe you'd like to add "Manufacturing Curmudgeon" to your tagline?

You're quite welcome.

So, since you've never seen it, it's impossible? Gimme a break!

I own an small airplane (a Grumman Tiger) that is almost entirely glued together. It was built in 1976 - over 40 years ago - and not a single failed bond line, yet. I'd say gluing on a non-structural roof panel would be easy enough.

Maybe you'd like to add "Manufacturing Curmudgeon" to your tagline?

You're quite welcome.
Actually, Grumman did have some "issues" with their glue (the factory guys referred to it as "Purple Passion") on airframes built in 1974 and 1975. Early Tigers (up to, I think serial # 125) are prone to bond line separation. Several Tigers had to be completely redone and all that fall in the suspect serial numbers have to be watched closely. Grumman switched bonding chemistry in 1975 and all was well.
I have some happy hours in a Tiger. Very nice airplane (except when IFR...it's a bit too sensitive on the controls).
Robin

Actually, Grumman did have some "issues" with their glue (the factory guys referred to it as "Purple Passion") on airframes built in 1974 and 1975. Early Tigers (up to, I think serial # 125) are prone to bond line separation. Several Tigers had to be completely redone and all that fall in the suspect serial numbers have to be watched closely. Grumman switched bonding chemistry in 1975 and all was well.
I have some happy hours in a Tiger. Very nice airplane (except when IFR...it's a bit too sensitive on the controls).
Robin
Right you are, Robin. I forgot about "Purple Passion." I have the yellow glue - never a failure that I know of.

Anyway, my point stands. Regardless of whether Topher has seen a Grumman, they do exist, they are glued together, and, by and large, they stay that way.

Never seen a (steel) roof that was glued in. Pictures?

[Of course glass would be glued in, that was my point.]

Thank you kindly.

I'll try to remember to take a pic. I have a race truck with glued room members OEM.
Glass didn't used to be glued in, but you might not be a car guy. If you are a car guy, you just like to argue.

Regardless of whether Topher has seen a Grumman, they do exist, they are glued together, and, by and large, they stay that way.

I am familiar with glued things. Not sure what a plane has to do with a car roof.

Putting the question out to a larger audience, does anyone think that Tesla gluing a roof panel in the place where the glass would otherwise go, would be acceptable to automotive press and general car buyers? I don't. I think it would get laughed at.

Thank you kindly

• Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865
Don't bother. 'race truck' is really not what I am talking about here.

Thank you kindly.

Production class land speed racing does not allow any modifications whatsoever to the body as that would be cheating.

Chevrolet Silverado roof (like my production class race truck):

Bond-On Body Panel Procedures
When it comes to replacing non-structural body panels, including outer roof panels or outer door panels, technicians can use an ultra-strong structural adhesive to bond the panels onto the vehicle. This helps avoid welding and possible corrosion issues later while speeding the repair.

Silverado-5-623x327.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
We do know two facts, Tesla uses adhesive bonding in their aluminum work now for S/X and we know that Model 3 will be a mix of steel and aluminum.

I wonder which is cheaper... aluminum or Tesla glass.
I don't think that cost is the only factor in using aluminum or glass.

It was stated by someone in Tesla during one of their many calls that assembling a Model S is tremendously easier since the robots can reach through the top of the body and install just about everything......and then the glass goes on last.

Hopefully someone will take a peek under the rubber door seals. Are they:

Attached with clips like Model S?
Attached with double stick tape like Model X?

The Model S seals have stayed in position to this day on the 2012 P85.
Poor Model X had seal detachment within 6 months on the driver door in multiple locations.

Last edited: