Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Private Model 3 Viewing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
cryptic and intriguing. i guess they had to sign NDAs.

Model 3 Owners Club‏ @Model3Owners 1m1 minute ago
I'll say this: if you're thinking of cancelling your reservation because you don't agree with a detail you're going to regret it #model3
He may be simply saving his observations and comments for his next video? Since only the alpha cars were shown, I doubt there's anything new to report about the design. However, seeing it up and close and personal, he may have been able to draw some conclusions about the interior materials, placement of the display/dash in relation to the driver's seated position, rear visibility, etc.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Justmurr
He may be simply saving his observations and comments for his next video? Since only the alpha cars were shown, I doubt there's anything new to report about the design. However, seeing it up and close and personal, he may have been able to draw some conclusions about the interior materials, placement of the display/dash in relation to the driver's seated position, rear visibility, etc.
Yeah, given he said it's the alpha, it seems like those tweets are saying the existing interior we saw is nicer when sitting down and experiencing it, not necessarily that there is anything new not yet unveiled. I guess we will see soon.

You could offer a discount for attending with the "threat" to remove said discount for NDA violation.

On second thought just let them blab about all the cool features and don't give them any pricing/spec details.
Make people watch reveal for the specs and pricing.

Why would you have a "pre-reveal" anyway?
Choose a signature color?
Test/survey option pricing?
Elon just wants a party with a few good people and no press or Wall St. ____ ?

Nothing new was presented, the silver Alpha was on display but roped off and positioned between a wall and a Model S (so we couldn't get close to the sides or the back), the employees that were there to answer questions about the Model 3 couldn't provide any new information and got a bit uncomfortable when pressed, and the silence on the Model 3 continued during the Franz Q&A. Half of the Q&A session consisted of Franz giving a little presentation and answering pre-submitted questions chosen by Tesla--all softballs or subjects limited to the S & X, aside from one question which was misinterpreted to be about the Model S. The second half of the session was open mic Q&A but Franz refused to answer any Model 3 related questions, even dodging general questions about the experience of designing the Model 3.

Having been on the tour multiple times in the past, it has been really neat to see the factory change... Peeking through the construction plastic, the construction of the Model 3 line is clearly well under way along with the installation of their new press. Lots of changes have been made from a space utilization and organizational standpoint.

The event was fun and getting to meet other owners/YouTubers made for some interesting conversation. It was also nice to have the opportunity to chat for a while with one of the employees who handles customer feedback for the company... he seemed to appreciate my input regarding my ownership experience as well as asking me about my experiences with other EVs.

Petra, thank you for an objective report of the tour. I wasn't quite sure I'd get it after reading the over the moon tweets from Model 3 Owners club.

EDIT:
After seeing the Alpha in person, do you have any thoughts on how it would compare to a BMW 3 series, our entry level Audi? I'm talking very general impressions on styling and interior, even though the design has changed a little since the Alphas

Reactions: Petra
So, basically, very little, if any, new information about the Model 3, the ability to view a previously seen vehicle but not get close to it, lots of uninformative non-answers from the speakers (was Sean Spicer there?) and a peek at the progress made in the factory.
I'm sure the trip was fun for the attendees and the socializing but it seems like a non-event.
Countdown to the July reveal which I hope isn't pushed to the very end of the month . . . waiting is hard

Here's M3OC's "report"

Source: OFFICIAL Model 3 BETA Watch Thread

-------------------------------

So a few things I can relay. Please remember this is the ALPHA prototype from last year so there is bound to be a lot of refinements on the final cars. We were not shown release candidates!!!

As Tesla says, production cars will always be better than their prototypes.

So...

• This was the same alpha prototype shown at the reveal event last year
  • They had a Model S right beside it to compare it to
  • The body panels on this car are fibreglass
  • Silver paint was a special showcase process. Not production intent
  • The two slits in the front on each side are air guides to smooth out airflow over the front wheels
  • The mirrors fold
  • Interior materials on the doors and dash are soft touch
  • White seats with good bolsters
  • Greenhouse is taller than a Model S headroom won't be a problem in the front
  • Hard to tell but it think the forward cross member is a bit further back than Model S so view might be better for front passengers
  • Rear seats are tighter together in the back due to a bit narrower car
  • Back passengers will have more headroom than a Model S
  • Dash is much lower than Model S so view out the front should be fantastic
  • Couldn't sit in the car so can't relay what the screen position is like but looks fine to me
  • Do details on screen being tiltable
  • Shorter wheelbase by about 3 inches
  • About 72" wide (measured with my feet. 6.5 steps or so)
  • Exterior size feels just like a BMW 330i but more substantial due to svelte greenhouse
  • Interior of cabin looks to be about same size as Model S
  • Has some very nice sharp body creases that accentuate the design
  • Headlights are LED and very distinctive
  • Trunk and frunk were not open so no details on that
  • Back seat has a fold down centre armrest
  • I asked an engineer present if the seats indeed fold down 60/40. Wouldn't answer other than "we will be competitive in that space"
  • Tesla spent a LOT of time on quality feel (craftsmanship) of the car. It will feel solid
  • A lot of time was spent on ergonomics. Explains the screen and buttons in the door, cup holder location etc
  • No details on body structure makeup (steel/aluminum)
  • Panels gaps are tight. Better than Model S
Tesla personal were adamant that they will have more to say when the car goes into production and I understand that sentiment. As a public company they cannot release information until they're ready to do so.

My takeaway from the car is that it's definitely a Tesla. It has that familiar feel to it. The design is more modern than the Model S, it will turn heads everywhere you go. Seeing it in person is nothing like seeing pictures and I feel those who make a rash decision to cancel a reservation because of some petty detail they don't like or saw in pictures will regret it once they see it in person.

You guys are going LOVE the Model 3!!!!

P.S. I saw part of the Model 3 production line being installed. It's a beehive of activity down there and it's MASSIVE. Elon wasn't kidding when he said Alien dreadnought. It looked super complex.

Petra, thank you for an objective report of the tour. I wasn't quite sure I'd get it after reading the over the moon tweets from Model 3 Owners club.

After seeing the Alpha in person, do you have any thoughts on how it would compare to a BMW 3 series, our entry level Audi?

I'm talking very general impressions on styling and interior, even though the design has changed a little.
I can't deny that the alpha car was damn good looking in person... much more so than any of the previous photos conveyed. And, yeah, he was really excited about how good the car looked (explains the reaction).

Here's M3OC's "report"

Source: OFFICIAL Model 3 BETA Watch Thread
  • Greenhouse is taller than a Model S headroom won't be a problem in the front
  • Hard to tell but it think the forward cross member is a bit further back than Model S so view might be better for front passengers
  • Rear seats are tighter together in the back due to a bit narrower car
  • Back passengers will have more headroom than a Model S
  • Dash is much lower than Model S so view out the front should be fantastic
The Model S interior is very wide, but I found the S cabin a bit cramped front to back and from floor to roof. This makes it sound like the Model 3's cabin may actually feel more spacious than the S.

• Love
Reactions: ValueAnalyst