Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Private Model 3 Viewing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is driving me crazy! Luckily we're all in this together.
The last time I was this excited was when I bought a newly designed airplane and waited nearly two years before actually seeing it. In that case I did see prototypes but the waiting was excruciating. For some reason this one seems more exciting than that one.
It's going to be worse watching all those employees getting theirs first!

This is driving me crazy! Luckily we're all in this together.
The last time I was this excited was when I bought a newly designed airplane and waited nearly two years before actually seeing it. In that case I did see prototypes but the waiting was excruciating. For some reason this one seems more exciting than that one.
It's going to be worse watching all those employees getting theirs first!

I agree. Never been so stoked. Great aircraft analogy. Flew full time for 40 years. The most time warp phase was when I transitioned from the DC9 to the Airbus 320. About the same leap as going from a '56 Chevy to a Model S!

I was there too.

Great event.... MINUS the overselling of the Model 3 portion.

Was this not a "VIP" event?....a little something extra for those that had produced millions of dollars of sales for Tesla?
Random people on the side of the street have gotten closer views to the Model 3 than we got....and it's the same Alpha prototype that everyone has seen 1000s of photos and videos for over a year. Not even a newer release candidate. Yet we couldn't even get close to it or sit in it? REALLY?

I feel really bad for those that spent big $ on traveling long distances to get such a lame Model 3 experience. They should have completely left the 3 off of the event marketing... Underpromise and overdeliver...not the other way around.

I was there too.

Great event.... MINUS the overselling of the Model 3 portion.

Was this not a "VIP" event?....a little something extra for those that had produced millions of dollars of sales for Tesla?
Random people on the side of the street have gotten closer views to the Model 3 than we got....and it's the same Alpha prototype that everyone has seen 1000s of photos and videos for over a year. Not even a newer release candidate. Yet we couldn't even get close to it or sit in it? REALLY?

I feel really bad for those that spent big $ on traveling long distances to get such a lame Model 3 experience. They should have completely left the 3 off of the event marketing... Underpromise and overdeliver...not the other way around.
I heard the food was good ;)

It was, by definition, a private viewing and tour it seems.

Nothing ever suggested it had anything to do with the Model 3.
I dunno, they had an hour and a half blocked off on the itinerary for an "Exclusive Model 3 viewing" which was really just standing around in a lounge and chatting with people while the Alpha sat off limits. I mean, not every Joe off the street was allowed in and we did get to view the alpha... so, it was technically correct.

Weather it was people being overly hopeful or not, I know a lot of attendees were more excited about the 3 part vs. the rest of the event.

I just wish Tesla would have been more clear on what the 3 part was and was not.

Other than that, it was a great event. Food was great. The Q & A was nice and informative. I love the design philosophy of Tesla, and it was reassuring to hear some of the thought that goes into every Tesla product. The tour was interesting as always...lot's going on in the factory and it's always inspiring to see. Overall a great event. Just pointing out a missed chance to really leave us even more energized and excited.

It does seem strange. It seemed pretty clear that it was going to just be the alpha, but people at the original alpha event got to take a drive in those cars, so I would have expected you to at least be able to sit in it. Maybe they're a bit worse for wear after a year.

[QUOTE="
.. Peeking through the construction plastic, the construction of the Model 3 line is clearly well under way along with the installation of their new press. Lots of changes have been made from a space utilization and organizational standpoint.

.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure the 3 production line isn't done?

TIA

The lack of production robots not being installed is scary, we talking 4-5 weeks before production? Don't you have to setup and test everything? Not sure what's going on ...
Huh lack of not? o_O

Everyone I've heard who was there says there are a lot of machines already set up and many more still being installed and tested. Supposedly people were hard at work.

The Model S interior is very wide, but I found the S cabin a bit cramped front to back and from floor to roof. This makes it sound like the Model 3's cabin may actually feel more spacious than the S.

The Model S feels much more spacious than the Model 3, including in the rear. (note: speaking from my experience of getting a ride in a Model 3 at the reveal last year.

[QUOTE="
.. Peeking through the construction plastic, the construction of the Model 3 line is clearly well under way along with the installation of their new press. Lots of changes have been made from a space utilization and organizational standpoint.

Are you sure the 3 production line isn't done?

TIA[/QUOTE]
Well, it was mentioned that it wasn't done yet and the number of robots that could be seen in various stages of installation seemed to support that.

The Model S feels much more spacious than the Model 3, including in the rear. (note: speaking from my experience of getting a ride in a Model 3 at the reveal last year.
Feels spacious roof to floor, side to side, or both? All the anecdotal reports, previously, that I've read is that Model 3 is more spacious roof to floor than Model S.

Dave, thanks for that informed post based on verified experience and not just random speculation. Refreshing. I was imagining (since I have not sat in a 3) that the 3 rear seats would feel more spacious than the S.

And thanks to those who attended the event and are honoring Tesla's request not to reveal things that they have requested be kept private. Trust and integrity matters in this world, as recent events have demonstrated.

In just a few more weeks Tesla will reveal Model 3 details. Adults can exercise the necessary discipline needed to wait. Children are not necessarily expected to have the same level of self control because...they're kids.

Bummed that no one there asked about how many NEW superchargers will be built in the U.S. by the end of 2017. Of course, would have probably gotten a non-answer. There does not seem to be a big spurt in the number of actual completed or permitted US superchargers....I thought there would be much more activity in this area in 2017 in anticipation of Model 3s being on the road.

Reactions: Sasmania
Bummed that no one there asked about how many NEW superchargers will be built in the U.S. by the end of 2017.

@AZGirl Why would you expect Tesla to give a different answer than they just released a little over a month ago: Charging Is Our Priority

We started 2017 with over 5,000 Superchargers globally and by the end of this year, Tesla will double that number to total more than 10,000 Superchargers and 15,000 Destination Charging connectors around the world. In North America, we’ll increase the number of Superchargers by 150 percent, and in California alone we’ll add more than 1,000 Superchargers.

And if you are asking about new Supercharger sites then you can just look at the map: Find Us | Tesla (Sure it is a little work to go through and see which they are planning to open by the end of the year, but I think other people on TMC have already done that work.)

For example In Arizona they show 3 sites planned for 2017, and an additional two planned sites without a current target opening date.

Last edited:
Reactions: callmesam
Bummed that no one there asked about how many NEW superchargers will be built in the U.S. by the end of 2017. Of course, would have probably gotten a non-answer. There does not seem to be a big spurt in the number of actual completed or permitted US superchargers....I thought there would be much more activity in this area in 2017 in anticipation of Model 3s being on the road.
You'd have to word that as supercharging "stations" instead of just superchargers.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
I asked people who attended if there was anything new that they just couldn't talk about and the response was "really/honestly no, there really wasn't anything new shown / said."

Also, with any Tesla staff, all questions even minor probably not important details were met with immediate poker face and stock answers like "check the web site". I get the impression that they have really made it clear that no internal info of any kind be shared at this point, and possibly really severe consequences if someone lets anything slip. In some previous years sometimes you could get a wink or a nod at a question that gave you a clue about things, but those days seem over.