Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Private Model 3 Viewing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing new was presented, the silver Alpha was on display but roped off and positioned between a wall and a Model S (so we couldn't get close to the sides or the back), the employees that were there to answer questions about the Model 3 couldn't provide any new information and got a bit uncomfortable when pressed, and the silence on the Model 3 continued during the Franz Q&A. Half of the Q&A session consisted of Franz giving a little presentation and answering pre-submitted questions chosen by Tesla--all softballs or subjects limited to the S & X, aside from one question which was misinterpreted to be about the Model S. The second half of the session was open mic Q&A but Franz refused to answer any Model 3 related questions, even dodging general questions about the experience of designing the Model 3.

Really? In that case I am not the slightest bit sad that I didn't have the opportunity to attend this total non-event?
What a load of...

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
So, basically, very little, if any, new information about the Model 3, the ability to view a previously seen vehicle but not get close to it, lots of uninformative non-answers from the speakers (was Sean Spicer there?) and a peek at the progress made in the factory.
I'm sure the trip was fun for the attendees and the socializing but it seems like a non-event.
Countdown to the July reveal which I hope isn't pushed to the very end of the month . . . waiting is hard

To be honest, after hearing what a useless waste of time this "event" was with regards to the Model 3, I don't get excited about the July event either. To be even more honest, I don't get excited by anything regarding the Model 3 any more, until I finally have the chance to experience one over here first-hand. All these hyped events which in the end turn out to be more or less non-events, plus all the "broken promises" ("this is not the final interior, wait until you see the final interior" et al).
I've had enough of over-promise and under-deliver. More important things in life then anxiously awaiting something like the July "event".

The Model S feels much more spacious than the Model 3, including in the rear. (note: speaking from my experience of getting a ride in a Model 3 at the reveal last year.

That does not bode well if true. The Model S rear is cramped when it comes to headroom. I hit my head on the ceiling (and it was one with the panoramic glass-roof which supposedly gives you more headroom.

Well, all I can share is my own personal experience from riding in a Model 3 at the reveal last year and comparing it to my Model S. The Model 3 felt like a significantly smaller car inside compared to the Model S, both roof to floor and side to side. It was comfortable in terms of space in the rear, but not nearly as comfortable as a Model S.

Must depend on how tall you are. I found the Model S in the rear was extremely uncomfortable as I had to constantly keep my head down in order to not bang it on the ceiling/panoramic roof. I know of many cars much smaller than a Model S that are far more comfortable in the back.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
To be honest, after hearing what a useless waste of time this "event" was with regards to the Model 3, I don't get excited about the July event either. To be even more honest, I don't get excited by anything regarding the Model 3 any more, until I finally have the chance to experience one over here first-hand. All these hyped events which in the end turn out to be more or less non-events, plus all the "broken promises" ("this is not the final interior, wait until you see the final interior" et al).
I've had enough of over-promise and under-deliver. More important things in life then anxiously awaiting something like the July "event".
Its certainly your prerogative to feel this way, but I think you're giving into the Rumor Mill too much. Just chill and wait for the final reveal, and form your opinion with hard facts instead of hearsay and Twitter madness.

Reactions: callmesam
I didn't mean the car itself, but all these hyped events that turn out to be far more mundane than what the hype before had lead one to believe.
Yes, I agree that the event was less than hoped for. Perhaps plans changed? Still, a good contigent of Model 3 aficionados got together. I think we all are getting a little impatient in the last weeks of waiting. Seemed come quickly, but now time has slowed down. I am trying to keep distracted.

• Funny
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Thank you for your detailed overview.

One question: have you seen production lines at other car manufacturers' factories?

How does the Model 3 production line compare to competition?

That's what I thought as well - has this guy even seen production lines at other manufacturers. There are all highly complex. In what way is the Model 3 assembly line any different?

Sorry to spread such a lot of negativity recently, but I just finally have gotten enough of Tesla fanboyism with comments like "you are gonna LOVE this car", "you are gonna regret your cancellation if you did it because of some minor detail".
Well, guess what, some minor detail for one can be a dealbreaker for another.

And how would this person know what I (am gonna) "LOVE"? My wife, definitely. My kids, of course. My parents, goes without saying.
But a car?
I LIKE my current car. I have never "LOVED" a car though - nor any other "thing".

Its certainly your prerogative to feel this way, but I think you're giving into the Rumor Mill too much. Just chill and wait for the final reveal, and form your opinion with hard facts instead of hearsay and Twitter madness.

Thankfully I don't use Twitter. Neither have a got a Facebook account, or Instagram, or whatever.
All information regarding Tesla I get from TMC or Tesla.com only.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
Yes, I agree that the event was less than hoped for. Perhaps plans changed?
I thought the original plan was only showing the Alpha car? I thought Elon said that the final reveal will be at the delivery event in July. I was actually surprised when blogs started saying we might see/hear more about the RC M3 during this weekend's events, wondering if I had missed anything. It seems that it's just the blogs getting too carried away, or more cynically maybe trying to drum up some more traffic.

Reactions: PaulusdB
I thought the original plan was only showing the Alpha car? I thought Elon said that the final reveal will be at the delivery event in July. I was actually surprised when blogs started saying we might see/hear more about the RC M3 during this weekend's events, wondering if I had missed anything. It seems that it's just the blogs getting too carried away, or more cynically maybe trying to drum up some more traffic.
How much is the blogs making stuff up or what Tesla said directly? That's why I put much more stock in the direct source rather than what third party blogs interpret. The HUD is a very good example (the blogs hyped it up like crazy, until Elon said on twitter there was no HUD).

The Model S headroom is not great... which is to be expected of a low riding sport sedan. But it felt more cramped in the drivers seat than my Honda Civic. I've parked my Civic next to a Model S and it does have a taller roofline.
From my viewings of the Model 3, it doesn't seem any taller/higher than a Model S so I'm not seeing it as having more headroom than the S.

From my viewings of the Model 3, it doesn't seem any taller/higher than a Model S so I'm not seeing it as having more headroom than the S.
The alpha is exactly the same height of the Model S, from Motor Trend's measurements. Unless the RCs changed from then, the overall vehicle height is probably the same.

Where Model 3 is said to get better rear headroom is by eliminating the rear hatchback hinge and using the large rear glass. Now this does not necessarily mean better headroom than the S, just better than if they went with the same design as the S.

• Informative
Reactions: Waiting4M3
I didn't mean the car itself, but all these hyped events that turn out to be far more mundane than what the hype before had lead one to believe.
There was a Jaguar i-Pace event in the Netherlands yesterday, if I am informed correctly though the Belgian-Dutch part of this forum. Tens of people attended :). There was a prototype on show, and apparently very good food, but nobody from JLR who could or would explain in any relevant detail what (and when) the final product would be. Go figure.
Tesla is likewise doing events but it's us who tend to make a hype out of it and then be disappointed;-)

Reactions: dsvick and PaulusdB
Tesla is likewise doing events but it's us who tend to make a hype out of it and then be disappointed;-)

Not the same: Tesla chose attendees, who then paid out of pocket travel expenses. This forum has a thread from a couple of people who came from Germany. Each to their own, but I would have been disappointed and I live "only" two states away.

Now this does not necessarily mean better headroom than the S, just better than if they went with the same design as the S.

One quote from the author of this article: I Took a Ride in Tesla Motors, Inc.'s Model 3. Here Are 3 Takeaways -- The Motley Fool
Perhaps the most surprising thing about Tesla's Model 3 was how spacious it seemed. Sitting in the back, the backseat easily exceeded Model S' headroom and seemed to rival its leg room.

I just love this picture. It's kind of an illusion that the Model 3 is taller than the Model S
2017-Tesla-Model-3-2016-Tesla-Model-X-Tesla-Model-S-charging-stations.jpg

How do we know for sure there's more headroom:
fullvcqua9kx6h.gif

Look the placement of the back seat headrest. In the Model 3 this is moved forward, thus allowing more headroom. They are able to do this and keep legroom, because the front seat and dash are also moved forward.