Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Proactive" 12v battery replacement - good idea or overkill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does this have to do with the thread? The question is if you should replace the battery proactively before you get a message or a failure.
You're saying that once you have the message, you might still have a sudden failure, but your only evidence is "Tesla Service Said."

I'm still looking for even a single example of someone being stranded by a dead 12V in the last 6 months after they made huge changes to the battery management firmware.
I never got stranded with any of my ICE batteries over the years. I considered replacing them every 4-5 years routine maintenance cost. Getting ready to replace tires on my RV as well, even thought they have a lot of tread left. They are approaching 7 years. Again routine maintenance.
With Tesla 12v batteries, $200 every 4-5 years for a fresh 12v battery, is just pro active maintenance. Been doing this for last 50 years of driving, and so far has worked out well for me.

I never got stranded with any of my ICE batteries over the years. I considered replacing them every 4-5 years routine maintenance cost. Getting ready to replace tires on my RV as well, even thought they have a lot of tread left. They are approaching 7 years. Again routine maintenance.
With Tesla 12v batteries, $200 every 4-5 years for a fresh 12v battery, is just pro active maintenance. Been doing this for last 50 years of driving, and so far has worked out well for me.
I'm not sure why you haven't bought a battery tester in 50 years...

Could also be a NASA Ames Research Center (ex)employee. I'm one (circa 1973-76) . Location tag in profile says SF Bay Area.

P.S. Sorry to continue the OT tangent but I've been a big fan of NASA since they gave me my first paid job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lightpixel
I'm wondering about proactive 12 volt battery replacement. Our 2016 S90D was built in late November & delivered in December 2016. It now has 106k miles & still has the original 12V battery more than 6 years later. The Service Center charges $165 for the part + $39 labor to replace it, the part # is ATLASBX U1 AGM(1480221-00-A). We drive the car daily, it's always plugged in if at home, and we park in a heated garage so the garage temp is never lower than about 55 degrees. Our car does not have access to wifi at home so it doesn't get to sleep. We also use TeslaFi & keep sentry mode on at home since we're parking in a shared underground garage. For those reasons the car doesn't get to go to sleep which may have helped keep the 12V battery charged for so many years... I'm not sure how those things play a role. Newer cars seem to have a way to go into Service Mode & see 12V battery health, but our older S does not show that info.

I don't want to "waste" money by replacing it unnecessarily, but since my wife uses the car daily for her small business & it's our only car we also can't afford to have a dead 12V battery strand us someday. What are ppl's thoughts on replacing it proactively & why or why not?
I always think about what it would be worth to me to avoid having a car that's stranded due to a failed battery. For me, it never seems to happen at a "good" time - always when I'm in a hurry and trying to make an appointment. I find a proactive replacement much more relaxing for my lifestyle.

Reactions: nmc4680
I ended up waiting (various reasons, unintentionally) for 3 weeks after I trickle charged my swollen battery. Tesla tech was nice and also told me that my battery via the diagnostics looked fine; then I told him about the alert and swollen aspect. He agreed, it was time to change but this was just based on the swelling. Just over $100 in the socal area.

Next time, I’m just going to replace it with an AGM that I install myself.

He did not recommend transitioning to a lithium ion, as it will currently throw codes about State of Charge and such.

IMO: a trickle charger / tender is useful even for a Tesla. More useful if you also have a weekend ICE mobile 👍👍

I ended up waiting (various reasons, unintentionally) for 3 weeks after I trickle charged my swollen battery. Tesla tech was nice and also told me that my battery via the diagnostics looked fine; then I told him about the alert and swollen aspect. He agreed, it was time to change but this was just based on the swelling. Just over $100 in the socal area.

Next time, I’m just going to replace it with an AGM that I install myself.

He did not recommend transitioning to a lithium ion, as it will currently throw codes about State of Charge and such.

IMO: a trickle charger / tender is useful even for a Tesla. More useful if you also have a weekend ICE mobile 👍👍
AGM does have a slightly different charging curve, and doubles the price in many cases.

Definitely replace a swollen battery. I'm not sure about the Tesla diagnostics being all inclusive as I don't think they ever put a heavy load on the 12v to test max current. I feel like this may be part of the difficulty in diagnosing a failing battery. As car with a starter the failing battery can sometimes be identified by ear.

Yes, there is a benefit to a trickle charger on a Tesla. It will keep the car from needing to wake up as much to top off the battery. Several threads on this website about it.

proactively replacing ~3yrs is probably a good idea. Mine threw the error messages/warnings pretty much at the 3yr anniversary and I got a new battery under warranty. From now on I would replace every 3 yrs or a few months before if I'm paranoid or go on a long remote trip.

Yes, there is a benefit to a trickle charger on a Tesla. It will keep the car from needing to wake up as much to top off the battery. Several threads on this website about it.
Can you point to these threads? This seems like it would completely freak out the onboard charging and health detection systems which are so sensitive that they easily flag a LFP vs Lead Acid.
Why is the car waking up a problem anyway? Are you saying that a trickle charger will reduce overall electric use of the car, or suggesting it would make the 12V battery last longer?

I'm not sure about the Tesla diagnostics being all inclusive as I don't think they ever put a heavy load on the 12v to test max current. I feel like this may be part of the difficulty in diagnosing a failing battery.
The Tesla system puts 20+A loads on the battery at times, which is plenty to detect health changes, and it also can do coloumb counting and check capacity of the battery. The old school hit a battery with 500A and see what happens to the voltage was only a valid health check if you needed to put 500A loads on the battery. It's not a particularly interesting test for a non-starting battery that is used like it is in a Tesla.

@gearchruncher here is the longest on the topic. Of course older model S.

@gearchruncher here is the longest on the topic. Of course older model S.
Early Model S cars from 2015 have almost nothing to do with a Model 3, much less after the charging updates in firmware from a year ago.

But again, what was the point even back then? The first post said to hook it up once a month for 8 hours... Which does absolutely nothing for a Tesla that "tops off" the battery every few hours itself. The only way you could make any difference is if it was plugged in anytime the car was not being driven, not just now and then.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Let's not be hyperbolic about the way it can happen though. It will not strand you "on the side of the road". A 12V battery failure will never stop a moving Tesla. The only real way this happens is when the car goes to sleep, which is after it's off for ~15 minutes, and often even much longer.

What I find interesting is the huge interest in this topic combined with a complete lack of reports of this happening in the last year after Tesla improved detection. Last time I asked for examples of this, I got "look on local Facebook groups"

Who here knows of an unannounced 12V failure in the last year where the car operated fine one day and then was just dead the next?
This was very informative. I just got the "12v battery must be replaced soon" push notification while on a road trip. I have a long drive home tomorrow and your message gives be confidence that I won't encounter any issues. I did notice that the car will no longer sleep since getting that notification, but that's a small price to pay to keep the car running.

Reactions: dusty22
This was very informative. I just got the "12v battery must be replaced soon" push notification while on a road trip. I have a long drive home tomorrow and your message gives be confidence that I won't encounter any issues. I did notice that the car will no longer sleep since getting that notification, but that's a small price to pay to keep the car running.

I know that enabling Sentry keeps the car awake. Is there any indication of a feature that Tesla has switched on that keeps the car awake?

I know that enabling Sentry keeps the car awake. Is there any indication of a feature that Tesla has switched on that keeps the car awake?
It's been reported extensively that once the car pops the 12V error, the car keeps awake on its own. There is likely just an internal toggle that is unrelated to any feature (does not require end user to activate).

The message in the car says "Electrical system backup power is unavailable. Vehicle will consume more energy when idle":

IMG_1775.jpg

I can also tell you that when this happened to me, the car definitely did not sleep until I had the 12V battery replaced.

I have my car connected to Tessie and TeslaMate and I can see there that the car isn't sleeping anymore. It seems to be consuming about 200W while idling. This happened automatically.

Thanks for that information. I don't have Tessie or TeslaMate so I would have no way to check. Does that message remain on the screen until the battery is replaced? If not, it would be nice if Tesla left a warning message or symbol on the screen so any person driving the car would be aware that the car is compensating for a failing 12V battery and that it should be serviced as soon as possible.