Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Probability of new battery tech?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With regards to the Model X and a larger battery, I am hoping that Elon's recent mention of an upgrade of the super chargers to 120 kW is in preparation for maintaining charge times for a larger capacity battery. The 85 kwh battery would take even less time to charge.

With regards to the Model X and a larger battery, I am hoping that Elon's recent mention of an upgrade of the super chargers to 120 kW is in preparation for maintaining charge times for a larger capacity battery. The 85 kwh battery would take even less time to charge.

My hope would be that it's the signal for a quicker roll out of Superchargers.

AC drive has regen *at no additional cost* i.e. no special hardware. You don't get AC drive without regen capability apart from disabling it in software.
All necessary hardware for regen is already there doing 'normal driving' when the car is moving slower than you want it to go.

That is correct until you get to the charge/discharge electronics for the battery. The electronics to discharge a battery and move a motor are NOT me ones as for charging a battery from the AC generated from a motor.

Well, apparently it's been confirmed that 2015 is the earliest date for Model X's. That's not making me too happy, but OTOH, perhaps it greatly increases the probability that we'll get a bigger battery and maybe the price won't be as bad as I was afraid, and maybe there will be more Superchargers, and possibly every car will come with a nice hot cherry pie, and ...

Still... 2 years from now??!!

RDoc, perhaps you've seen or heard something I haven't, but I still think 2014 is the plan.

I did hear Elon say 2015 yesterday, but he was talking to a crowd of Norwegians. Model S is reaching Europe basically a year after first U.S. deliveries, so 2014 U.S. 2015 E.U. for X is plausible.

Well, apparently it's been confirmed that 2015 is the earliest date for Model X's. That's not making me too happy, but OTOH, perhaps it greatly increases the probability that we'll get a bigger battery and maybe the price won't be as bad as I was afraid, and maybe there will be more Superchargers, and possibly every car will come with a nice hot cherry pie, and ...

Still... 2 years from now??!!

RDoc, perhaps you've seen or heard something I haven't, but I still think 2014 is the plan.

I did hear Elon say 2015 yesterday, but he was talking to a crowd of Norwegians. Model S is reaching Europe basically a year after first U.S. deliveries, so 2014 U.S. 2015 E.U. for X is plausible.

Agree and Tesla web site still has deliveries in 2014. Not to worry:smile:
model x 2014.JPG