Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Probing interest in obd2 cable group buy

Interested in ordering?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title says. I'm probably going to order one of these, and maybe if we bundle a couple together we can save on shipping and get a further discount. I've emailed the company to ask what sort of discount there would be at a certain order number.

Geotab HRN-CT20T1

Poll below to gauge numbers of interest.

Here's a sample video of the type of info you get with this cable + obd2 adapter plus scanmytesla app. Vid is with a model S, but the 3 has similar info.

Last edited:
I got the cable from Geotab and I have a 2018 model 3 and it worked. I just checked and my cable is revision 03. I'm guessing maybe the latest version of the 2019 cable would be revision A3? based on this photo:
SmartCharge 2019 Model 3 cable

I'll go take another look to check the part number as I just noticed the old one is HRN-CT20T1 and the one HRN-CT20T11.

Reactions: beachmiles
Heard back from Gpstracking. They will take 40 cad (as opposed to 30 usd) for adaptors. It doesn't look like much interest so I told them maybe 5-10 people might bundle. They would ship all in one package so we would also save on shipping. But then that would mean local meetups.

I'll probably pull the trigger once I get confirmation on shipping cost (should be tomorrow). Let me know if you want in and we can work out the details.

Heard back from Gpstracking. They will take 40 cad (as opposed to 30 usd) for adaptors. It doesn't look like much interest so I told them maybe 5-10 people might bundle. They would ship all in one package so we would also save on shipping. But then that would mean local meetups.

I'll probably pull the trigger once I get confirmation on shipping cost (should be tomorrow). Let me know if you want in and we can work out the details.
Definitely interested!

I got a quote back from them, 13 shipping and the price is 40 each for 1-10....so those that are interested PM me and we can work out how to do this. I work in mississauga near QEW and Winston Churchill so will get them delivered here. So that means local meetup/pickup between there and Burlington.....I'm assuming no duties since they are charging HST on the 40, so the total 40 + 6.89 + 13/how many people we have ordering....roughly $50 each as an estimate assuming we get at least 4.....

upload_2019-11-12_14-41-17.png

Last edited:
I got a quote back from them, 13 shipping and the price is 40 each for 1-10....so those that are interested PM me and we can work out how to do this. I work in mississauga near QEW and Winston Churchill so will get them delivered here. So that means local meetup/pickup between there and Burlington.....I'm assuming no duties since they are charging HST on the 40, so the total 40 + 6.89 + 13/how many people we have ordering....roughly $50 each as an estimate assuming we get at least 4.....

View attachment 476205
Pm'd

I'll give it until ~ Thursday for folks who may want to get in on the order. Probably to a final call then and order so let me know if this interests you.

Part of me wishes I didn't make this post....doing all this work to save a fraction of the $13 shipping charge isn't effective use of time :eek: but 'yawl are good people so let me know if any of the 'mehbes' are in.

Reactions: Muskol
@pcons did you put in the order yet?
Not yet. Today got a bit busy. There are currently only 2 of us and was planning to do so today. If you are good with picking up from me either in Burlington or Mississauga near qew and Winston Churchill I'll add one for you. Just pm me the model year as 2019 needs a different adaptor.

Edit: just noticed your sig. Your vin is low so you would have a 2018 like mine. So I'll order the 2018 for you if you are still in.

Is there an iOS app that can read and display this data?
I'm afraid that is not currently possible because battery temperature data is not exposed in the API which the Tesla App, or any 3rd party applications use to get data. I've thoroughly worked with the tesla API as I've built my own JS service to log data from the car as it gives me more flexibility to get the data I want instead of relying on 3rd party apps.

The only way to get CANBUS info (battery temperature, stator temperature, motor current draw, etc) would be to use the OBDII adapter.