Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with screen not showing backup camera image

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S 90D. Is there a simple fix, or is this a software update issue? Over the past month, I had my screen not show the backup camera view about three times when backing up. I drive the car almost daily, so the percentage of failures is very small. Just get a blank, grey screen. It works fine after a hard-reboot of the sreen--holding both scroll wheels down for about five seconds. I'm just about a 12 months, so I'll be scheduling annual maintenance soon.

As opposed to ap1/non-ap, the AP2 backup cam signal is routed through the autopilot computer, and from there to the touchscreen computer. (On ap1/pre-ap, the wire inputs directly to the 17").

So there are many reports of rear view camera issues since AP2.0, which may indicate a software issue with the autopilot computer.

Note that on AP2.5, the backup camera wiring is different. It still connects to the autopilot computer, but theres some new «splitting» going on with 2.5. Dunno if this has fixed the issue

As opposed to ap1/non-ap, the AP2 backup cam signal is routed through the autopilot computer, and from there to the touchscreen computer. (On ap1/pre-ap, the wire inputs directly to the 17").

So there are many reports of rear view camera issues since AP2.0, which may indicate a software issue with the autopilot computer.

Note that on AP2.5, the backup camera wiring is different. It still connects to the autopilot computer, but theres some new «splitting» going on with 2.5. Dunno if this has fixed the issue

Do you know if they have a fix or possibly will I get an update to ap 2.5 PC :)

I experienced this once. AP2.0. March 2017 S100D.

Attachments

• 7043FD23-6E07-4DEE-8454-FD776E149E52.jpeg
    7043FD23-6E07-4DEE-8454-FD776E149E52.jpeg
    477 KB · Views: 173
  • Informative
Reactions: lunitiks
Model S 90D. Is there a simple fix, or is this a software update issue? Over the past month, I had my screen not show the backup camera view about three times when backing up. I drive the car almost daily, so the percentage of failures is very small. Just get a blank, grey screen. It works fine after a hard-reboot of the sreen--holding both scroll wheels down for about five seconds. I'm just about a 12 months, so I'll be scheduling annual maintenance soon.

OP, I have had the same issue three times over the past month. AP 2.0. MCU reboot fixed for me. Sounds like there needs to be a patch to the software.

I had something similars except that there was an image, but it was frozen. It looked like an Audi was tailing me all over town until I got the chance to do a reboot.
I had this happen today 2017 Model S 75D after updating to 2018.4.1 Put car in park , locked and went into store for about 1 hour .Got back in car and all was well . Didn't have to reboot .Only happened the once so far.