Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my new model X on Saturday and loving it so far.

However, I’m having issues using super chargers. I have no problem plugging into my home wall charger. But I’ve tried four different supercharger stalls and everytime I try to plug in it feels too tight to push in and after I try it beeps and me and turns yellow and tells me it’s not connected.

Is it a problem with the port on my car? Any tips on how to plug in at a supercharger? So far it hasn’t been a huge problem because I made it home (just barely once), but eventually I’m going to need the supercharger to properly seat and charge the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Ok any tips on the best angle? I mean I had myself wedge between the curb and the car trying to shove it in and I still couldn’t seat it.
There's not really a specific angle to it. It should be really straight, and the form of the plug should guide it, but I guess I would suggest a method. Sometimes new owners use kind of a steady pressure, and then when it feels like it's becoming too hard, that's all they will do because they are afraid they will break something.
Slightly better is this: get the front nose of the charging plug in a little bit, which will align it to the correct angle, and then give it a hard solid shove to get it past that resistance. If you start with it in a little, it will stay lined up properly as you use some authority to finish it off.:)

Reactions: vandacca
There's not really a specific angle to it. It should be really straight, and the form of the plug should guide it, but I guess I would suggest a method. Sometimes new owners use kind of a steady pressure, and then when it feels like it's becoming too hard, that's all they will do because they are afraid they will break something.
Slightly better is this: get the front nose of the charging plug in a little bit, which will align it to the correct angle, and then give it a hard solid shove to get it past that resistance. If you start with it in a little, it will stay lined up properly as you use some authority to finish it off.:)
Thanks I’ll try that.

I ran into this problem in Tucumcari I think, or maybe Amarillo, when I was going that way. Every supercharger worked perfectly up until then, but no matter how hard I tried it wouldn't charge. I moved around to a few different stations, and the third one I tried went in without any issues at all. Roadside assistance said it was a problem with my charging port, but it sure felt like the supercharger was just different somehow especially since the other 9 charges I've done were all super smooth without issue. It's in service now, and they're going to look at it, but I'd suggest just trying a few different stations I guess.

So yesterday, we charged the car for the first time at a supercharger station. The plug must be slightly bigger at the supercharger as there is no way my wife could push it in to produce the green ring. I can do it but had to use all my body weight. We tried 2 different plugs, and same result... she got orange ring. Maybe our charge port is still new and need to be stretched out a bit. The tech who came out actually said that it gets easier as the port get some wear on it.

Here's what I have found so far.

- Late 2017 Model X has this problem. (I'm not sure if all of them or just only few of them has this issue)
- Works pretty well with old Superchargers (I tried Burlington Supercharger, and succeeded in one shot)
- Need ludicrous force when trying charging with new Superchargers (I tried 3 different stalls in Arlington supercharger, tried more then 20 times, but failed all of them. I also called Tesla customer support, but they found no problem and keep saying try again with more force)

Here's what I have found so far.

- Late 2017 Model X has this problem. (I'm not sure if all of them or just only few of them has this issue)
- Works pretty well with old Superchargers (I tried Burlington Supercharger, and succeeded in one shot)
- Need ludicrous force when trying charging with new Superchargers (I tried 3 different stalls in Arlington supercharger, tried more then 20 times, but failed all of them. I also called Tesla customer support, but they found no problem and keep saying try again with more force)

I thought I read here somewhere that late 2017 MX has different manufacturer for the port. Probably just slightly tighter. The Tesla rep was having a hard time even with their own Wall Charger at the delivery center. She was saying that it is probably just this WC here because she own her own MX and she said hers was easy.

It was not easy for me even with the UMC, but I can do it without putting my body weight against it. At the supercharger, I have to shove and lean toward the car and I am 200 lb. I will try the WD-40 method above and see if it makes any difference.

I've had my X a week and I'm having the same problem. I could not charge at supercharger in the way home (had enough charge to make it regardless) and couldn't get home charger to engage properly either.

I've since realized that I can overcome the issue with more force and was able to supercharge and charge at home normally. It does seem to be getting easier each time I plug in. I have a service appt Tuesday and I'm going to have them look at it but I'm not to concerned at this point.

You could also spray a lubricant such as WD-40 on a paper towel and rub that on the inside of your charge port (don't get any of the lubricant on the electrical contacts).

I did that and it helped a lot.

It helps a lot! It slides right in there with UMC at home. I think I hear like a "click" sound at the end. Don't remember hearing that click before when I was forcing it in. Have to try it again at the supercharger someday.

Picked up our X last week and have been having this same issue. We were also parked next to a couple who were supercharging their S for the first time... same issue. It takes a firm shove and then a jiggle. The cars with a newer batch of plugs are having this problem. We plan to get it checked out after the holidays.

It helps a lot! It slides right in there with UMC at home. I think I hear like a "click" sound at the end. Don't remember hearing that click before when I was forcing it in. Have to try it again at the supercharger someday.

Glad to see that lubricating your charge port helped! You could take some WD-40 with you to the Supercharger just in case (but don't leave the can for an extended period in your car if it's hot out). The same procedure would apply, lubricating the inside of the port once again if needed. If you still have trouble, try applying a small amount to a paper towel and lubricate the outer circumference of the connector (avoid getting any lubricant on the electrical contact end portion).

Glad to see that lubricating your charge port helped! You could take some WD-40 with you to the Supercharger just in case (but don't leave the can for an extended period in your car if it's hot out). The same procedure would apply, lubricating the inside of the port once again if needed. If you still have trouble, try applying a small amount to a paper towel and lubricate the outer circumference of the connector (avoid getting any lubricant on the electrical contact end portion).

I think you also want to lubricate the outer edges of the Y shaped plastic guide in the center of the port. A Tesla customer rep told me that it is the problem, not the outer edges.

I'm curious if anyone else has tried this?