Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production/Delivery Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"The Canadians who are also waiting for their cars (and new owners like myself) are soon going to have to park them for most of the snowy months ahead."

Park them? say again....... #938 is getting winter tires in a few weeks and will be out and about all winter - except the few weeks of winter the roads are undriveable..... you can't park it really can you? such a shame.

We get alot of chinooks were I live so snow comes and goes fast typically......

Kevin,

I guess you're lucky living in Lethbridge. Here in Ottawa we usually get gobs of snow for months on end. Occasionally we get a dry winter, but sometimes we get storm after storm after storm. It isn't at all unusual to have snowfalls significantly higher than the bottom of the Roadster. Since they don't get around to clearing the residential streets for quite a while, my car would probably get stranded. That plus all the salt and sand they spread all over, and the difficulty of hand washing at -20C... well, I think I'm gonna park it. At least for the worst part of the winter.

Doug

gotcha..... Ya the good part of Southern Alberta is that we get warm chinooks all the time (warm wind) the bad part is that it is usually 60km/hr - 80km/hr wind lol. I hear ya on the heavy snow though - you have alot more moisture in your area than we do here in the plains.

Also no salt used here....

Well I'll be sure to send some pics of me cruisin around on dry roads in January when your diggin out....hehe just to rub it in for my fellow canucks. Although I'm sure we all wish we actually lived in Cali where the thought of bad winter weather is having to wear pants instead of shorts.

I think that pic was from 2009, but I think it has been fairly routine for them to fly "gliders" (with no battery or drivetrain) from the UK to California.
They come in to SFO, and get delivered to San Carlos or Menlo Park to have the battery+motor installed.
Without the battery or motor, the glider itself likely weighs well under a ton.

At one point there was some discussion of sending gliders by boat, but then I recall hearing that the costs savings weren't really worth the extra delay.

Last edited:
Cool pic. Any idea where those two were being unloaded from? If confirmed, I'm surprised / impressed that Tesla would fly gliders in from across the Atlantic rather than by ship.

After flying the first 100 or so, Tesla Motors was planning to ship the rest of them, but with the global economic downturn, the air shippers made them a good deal, so they've kept air freighting them instead.

I just got back from Chicago on Tues where I placed an order for a Roadster 2.5. Where on the Tesla Website are you finding delivery/production status of your car? I bought one that was in production that matched exactly what I wanted, right down to the color.

Where on the Tesla Website are you finding delivery/production status of your car?
Your sales person should have given you a user name and password for the site. The "normal" process, if you order a custom car, is to use the site to pick your you options. I guess you skipped that step and may have to request access.
Once you are logged in, you can see the status of your car.

I have a VIN# 1078 update.

July 29 - Locked in.
Sept 20 - "Your Roadster began production in the Paint Factory"
Sept 24 - "Your Roadster is in the Body Assembly factory"
Oct 11 - "Your Roadster is in the Chassis and Body Testing factory"

Oct 12 - Email "Your Roadster is in transit"
Oct 16 - Email "Your Roadster arrived in Menlo Park... Delivery estimate Oct 30"

Picture 010.jpg
Picture 007.jpg

Well, you guys got me wondering about the web status of my Roadster. I just checked Tesla's Owners site and it still says: "Your Roadster began production in the Paint Factory". This has been showing as the same status for about the last 2 months.

My car was shipped September 1st and delivered September 15th. Interestingly, it seems that people with current cars in production are seeing the web site indicate more status changes than my car went through. Perhaps, the site is showing more accurately what the vehicle's current state is but someone at Tesla needs to go through the old records and purge the users whose Roadsters have already been manufactured and delivered.