Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production Halt on Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live by the Fremont factory. I'm still seeing daily truckloads of Model 3/Model Y's but with non-US license plate mounts. Looks like they might be prioritizing deliveries outside of the US.
Model Y are not shipped overseas. Only Model S/3/X. Model Y can be shipped to Canada though.
And first month of each quarter production of Model 3 goes overseas. Then transport, and delivery in last month of quarter.

I’m calling BS. New poster who posts nearly nothing but negative claiming something that doesn’t make sense at all to people who truly understand the company. That’s what I think it’s worth.
you may be right. On the other hand according to the MY tracking spreadsheet it doesn't look like any VINs have been assigned from new builds since about March 18th or so.

@z335is not sure if you've been following any general automotive or tech sector news lately, but there is a global semiconductor shortage that is affecting virtually every automotive and tech manufacturer in varying degrees over the past few months and for the forseeable future. Telsa is not alone in this issue, and other car markers have had temporary shutdowns recently due to parts shortages; I'm certain there will be more.

My point being: yes their production and distribution has some issues (though remember they're still a relatively young company compared to other car makers) but in this case it's not really their fault, and you're about as likely to experience the same type of delays even if you jump ship.
My understanding is other OEMs postponed their suppliers last year for the pandemic. Tesla never did. Therefore the shortage is a problem not affecting Tesla.

I manage Fleet for my company,, and get regular updates about delivery delays on domestic auto manufacturers due to chip shortages. What read a few weeks back about chip shortages:
- only a few global chip fab houses these days.
- domestic auto makers puller orders when pandemic started
- phone manufacturers increased their orders and booked all that capacity.
- auto makers begging/playing catch-up now.
- additionally, auto makers use older chip technology and chip makers have shifted their energy/capacity toward newer technology/markets.
So double whammy blow to car makers.

Aside...just a guess, but I'd be surprised if Tesla was using old technology. So perhaps IF chip shortages are causing Tesla delays, those delays would be a lesser problem than they would be for other auto makers.

I manage Fleet for my company,, and get regular updates about delivery delays on domestic auto manufacturers due to chip shortages. What read a few weeks back about chip shortages:
- only a few global chip fab houses these days.
- domestic auto makers puller orders when pandemic started
- phone manufacturers increased their orders and booked all that capacity.
- auto makers begging/playing catch-up now.
- additionally, auto makers use older chip technology and chip makers have shifted their energy/capacity toward newer technology/markets.
So double whammy blow to car makers.

Aside...just a guess, but I'd be surprised if Tesla was using old technology. So perhaps IF chip shortages are causing Tesla delays, those delays would be a lesser problem than they would be for other auto makers.

I'm certain that Tesla is using old chip technology.

Automotive quality requirements favor older, well-tested fabrication processes. And most automotive chips are quite simple.There are a few chips that are close to state-of-the-art, but most are doing mundane tasks that were easily done two decades ago. It doesn't take a lot of complexity to switch LEDs, control motors or manage batteries.