Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Progressive insurance Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just renewed with progressive my first 6 months were $320, the renewal is $362. The first 6 months included a 10% new member web quote discount ($36) so it only went up by $10 for 6 months. Geico quoted me $768 for 6 months for the same coverage. I am in MD.
I have $100 deductiable for collision and $100/ $0 for collision / glass.

I don't have them for my Y yet, delivery scheduled next week but I do have them for my P85 S at ~$780. I use an insurance broker and Progressive always come back as the lowest (waiting for the updated quotes, they couldn't pull up my Vin) . I did a quote direct for now and it went up $10 for the whole 6 months when I replaced the Y with the S

Doesn't "Snapshot" require an OBCII port?

OBD2 port, which Tesla does not supply because no need for emissions testing, but you could easily add one of these if you wanted. Previous posts on it here, or just search for OBD2 Tesla for more info, how to get the cable and how to install. Most people add this connector so they can connect up a OBD2 BLE interface to supply data to the Scan My Tesla app.

• Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4
You should ask them what your renewal rate will be and get back to us!
Well I just found out! The policy doubled for the same term, no other changes. Liability went up 2.5X, Uninsured motorist went up 2.47X and collision went up 1.99X. So the policy went up $638 (more than the total cost of the initial term) in six months, no accidents, no tickets, no nothing... CRAZY. I'll definitely be shopping for a new policy, and will likely move all my cars and motorcycles as well.

Well I just found out! The policy doubled for the same term, no other changes. Liability went up 2.5X, Uninsured motorist went up 2.47X and collision went up 1.99X. So the policy went up $638 (more than the total cost of the initial term) in six months, no accidents, no tickets, no nothing... CRAZY. I'll definitely be shopping for a new policy, and will likely move all my cars and motorcycles as well.
That's so weird that it's going up by a lot for some and not others. My renewal come April will be about the same price, though actually a little cheaper because I can pay in full compared to monthly (I made the mistake of just paying one month after I sold my car while waiting for my new one so I would have "continuous coverage" and then when I added the new car and went to pay the policy in full it only would let me do monthly payments for the remaining five months!)

My credit score kinda tanked too because of the loan and dumping $8,000 FSD onto a credit card that has no interest for a year, so I kinda expected my policy premium to go up some...

That's so weird that it's going up by a lot for some and not others. My renewal come April will be about the same price, though actually a little cheaper because I can pay in full compared to monthly (I made the mistake of just paying one month after I sold my car while waiting for my new one so I would have "continuous coverage" and then when I added the new car and went to pay the policy in full it only would let me do monthly payments for the remaining five months!)

My credit score kinda tanked too because of the loan and dumping $8,000 FSD onto a credit card that has no interest for a year, so I kinda expected my policy premium to go up some...
If you lived in California, you would have no worries about your credit status. Companies are prohibited from using credit reports.

I have a Model 3 Performance 2020 and a few months ago I switched to Progressive because Allstate went up outrageously on my first renewal: close to $1800 for 6 months. Progressive gave me a quote for 6 months for $800 so I took it. I’ll be adding a LR Y for the wife and now Progressive wants almost $2K for 6 months for both cars. I am definitely canceling and shopping around and with just two quotes I’ve got I got way cheaper: $1200 with Wawanesa which I’ve had good experiences with. I have a minor 50% fault non injury accident 3 years ago which my insurance at the time (Allstate) paid $247 on a claim to the other party, after not bothering to back me up when the other driver’s story was so bogus. Other than that no tickets and been driving for more than 20 years since I was 16.

I’m not sure why all the BS with insurance going up crazy on renewal. Also I don’t get why insurance companies charge so much to insure Teslas, as if they’re trying to discourage Tesla owners from giving them their business. Anyway, this is what the Wawanesa rep told me, that many insurers don’t want to deal with Teslas which is why they price renewals so high. Obviously she told me they wouldn’t pull that on their customers.

Well, it didn't take me long to find cheaper quotes. I can get the car insured directly from Tesla with the same effective rate as my original Progressive term. I've had multiple vehicles covered with Progressive for many years, I find it odd they would "throw away" my business that easily...but oh well!

Reactions: Bednarz42
Well, it didn't take me long to find cheaper quotes. I can get the car insured directly from Tesla with the same effective rate as my original Progressive term. I've had multiple vehicles covered with Progressive for many years, I find it odd they would "throw away" my business that easily...but oh well!
these guys deal with millions of customers unfortunately that "ill take my business elsewhere" doesn't have the much effect, I've tried calling insurance for adjustment after raise my rates to the point where i have the same rep cancel my policy on the spot to show how serious i am, i feel i am pretty good at convincing folks but insurance doesn't budge...

these guys deal with millions of customers unfortunately that "ill take my business elsewhere" doesn't have the much effect, I've tried calling insurance for adjustment after raise my rates to the point where i have the same rep cancel my policy on the spot to show how serious i am, i feel i am pretty good at convincing folks but insurance doesn't budge...
True, but after they lose enough customers, what then? I'd think it'd be better to just retain good customers in the first place but maybe it's cheaper overall to let some customers choose to leave because most may just pay the extra costs without comparing?

I don't have them for my Y yet, delivery scheduled next week but I do have them for my P85 S at ~$780. I use an insurance broker and Progressive always come back as the lowest (waiting for the updated quotes, they couldn't pull up my Vin) . I did a quote direct for now and it went up $10 for the whole 6 months when I replaced the Y with the S
Confirming that my rate went up by just $10 for 6 months from my Model S P85 to the Y. ~$790 for 6 months. Still the cheapest insurance I can get (aside "no name" ones).

Insurance is going to be the death of me with this car. One accident 4 years ago and the lowest I was able to find was nationwide at $335 per month $100 more than my current Audi. Accident should fall off of my record in January hopefully I can shop it again then.