Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pros and cons of Model S Long Range AWD vs Model 3 Long Range AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

eevee-fan

Dec 2, 2019
Nevada
What are the most important Pros and Cons of the S vs the 3? Pondering 2020 purchase. I've read that Model 3 has faster charging and better motor cooling (electronic pump in 3 vs gear pump in S)... what other considerations are there?

You have to be careful about range and charge speeds. The charging speed masks how much range you gain per hour at a supercharger.

For example, lets assume your model 3 gets 240 wh and your model S gets 300 wh, even at the same charge speeds, you go further with the 3 per kwh and that means you gain range faster and will spend less time at the supercharger for roadtrips.

The cars fit different kinds of people. When I was looking at both, I thought:

1. Model S looks a lot nicer from the exterior, while 3 looked cheap.
2. Model 3 was half the price.
3. Model 3 has nicer current generation interior (which roadster, truck, and future model S will get shortly)
4. If you like a driver's car, model 3 is a lot more nimble and fun to drive.
5. If you like a cushier ride, model S' air suspension will be nicer.
6. Model 3 has a lot less to break. Tesla learned from the mistakes on the previous cars. Air suspension has a cost to repair when it ages. Self presenting door handles can break over time, etc.
7. If you want speed, S has acceleration that 3 lacks.
8. Hatchback on S is a lot nicer than the trunk on the 3.
9. S is wider which means more horizontal space, especially if you're doing something like sitting 3 up in the rear seats.
10. Model 3 has more headroom than S, so you gain just over an inch extra if you're tall, despite the 3 being a smaller vehicle.

Right now if you want bang for the buck in terms of range, the two best cars on the road map are model 3 rwd long range and performance cybertruck with 500 mile range. They're both in the 130-140 dollar per mile price point. Everything else costs more.

In THIS thread I detailed a lot of differences between the S and 3.

I prefer the 3 for around town - smaller, more efficient, better steering feel. I prefer the S on longer trips - more room, quieter, better ride, more range, biohazard filter, better autopilot controls, etc.

If my wife and I were to own only one Tesla, it would be an S. But given that my wife has an X which we take on road trips and I can borrow if I need the space, I drive a 3.

I’ll add a couple of subjective things that made me go with the Model S over a Model 3.

1) The styling of the Model S is a lot nicer than the Model 3 (IMO). It’s a beautiful car.

2) 17” Portrait screen integrated into the dash (Model S) vs. 15” Landscape Screen floating away from the dash (Model 3).

3) Model S has an Instrument Cluster. Model 3 does not. This was a big one for me.

Like I said, these are very subjective things but each one was a factor I considered when I went with the Model S vs. Model 3 (in addition to the more objective things people have mentioned).

Reactions: Struja and nikhon
This is my list when deciding to trade my Model 3 for an X. I preferred get an S but I needed towing. Most pros/cons would be same for S.

Pros
Physical Wiper Control
Two Sensitivity Levels Auto Wiper
Towing (X only)
Free SuperCharging
Safer due to Weight
Nicer Next button on Wheel
Heated Wheel
True Key Fob (this might be a Con)
No ripping liner under car
No bumper ripping off
No roof glass cracking
Two screens
Slightly better EPA range
Powered lift gate
Cornering lights?
More sensors?
Smoother Ride
Quieter Ride
Bolstered Seats
Front Windshield unreal (X only)
Perfect ProClip mount
Dark headliner (might be light on S)
Real glovebox button
All doors powered
All doors aware of their environment
Plastic rockers and wheel wells
Much better in the Snow
Cleaner OBDII access
Dynamic Air Suspension
No frozen door handles (S could be as bad)
Better Audio (bigger sub)
Storage Space (X is unreal)
Unlimited mile warranty on battery and drives for 8 years
True battery heater
More range (ton more on S)

Cons
Longer Reach to screen (but less need to)
Limited tire selection (staggered)
Not as nice as OEM Wheels (I love the 19” snow tire wheels though on X)
Less efficient than 3 (S not as bad as X)
emergency Handling
Portrait Screen on Netflix
Manual vent direction
Older BMS, slower less cooling
Slower heat
Less efficient (S should be better than X)
Lacks phone as key
Much bigger hit on efficiency when cold

Last edited:
Reactions: Struja
What are the most important Pros and Cons of the S vs the 3? Pondering 2020 purchase. I've read that Model 3 has faster charging and better motor cooling (electronic pump in 3 vs gear pump in S)... what other considerations are there?
Tbh, posting this specifically in a Model S forum you can expect to see quite a few biased opinions, lol! The reality is that many here are waiting for a true refresh of the S, both interior and exterior so in theory the Model 3 is newer and possibly 'more modern' depending on taste. As far as size, range and speed the S in top trims surpasses the 3 overall but it really depends on what is important to you. The one thing the 3 lacks which to me is glaring is no heated steering wheel, if only because even sub-$20k cars offer it as an option.

I’ll add a couple of subjective things that made me go with the Model S over a Model 3.

1) The styling of the Model S is a lot nicer than the Model 3 (IMO). It’s a beautiful car.

2) 17” Portrait screen integrated into the dash (Model S) vs. 15” Landscape Screen floating away from the dash (Model 3).

3) Model S has an Instrument Cluster. Model 3 does not. This was a big one for me.

Like I said, these are very subjective things but each one was a factor I considered when I went with the Model S vs. Model 3 (in addition to the more objective things people have mentioned).
For #2 is funny you say that because I felt the same until someone mentioned how all of the games and Youtube stuff presents better in landscape. Wouldn't even surprise me if they changed it to that in a refresh, like they did w/Cybertruck.

We’ve had a Dual Motor LR 3 for the last year and just took delivery of a Performance S.

For me, the 3 is like a sports sedan (think BMW 3 series) - light, nimble, sporty

The S is more of a grand tourer (so like a 7 series) - feels and drives heavier, more weight to the steering, cushier suspension

With that being said the S just checks all the boxes for me because I wanted something more comfortable and I think the suspension on the 3 is too harsh. I personally also love having the digital dash instead of the big center screen, but I will admit the driving sight lines on the 3 are superior since there’s nothing in the way and you can see out over the hood.

Reactions: Hank42
... Air suspension has a cost to repair when it ages. Self presenting door handles can break over time, etc.

For sure the door handles are sadly an issue that should have been solved years ago. (I'm the minority of people who prefer the feel of the original gen 1 handles where there was no "play" btw - not that that is relevant ).
I keep expecting to hear about the air suspension having a similar rate of failure, but TBH, I haven't heard of a single case of (expensive) air suspension repair. Any data on failure rate on that? Just curious.

For sure the door handles are sadly an issue that should have been solved years ago. (I'm the minority of people who prefer the feel of the original gen 1 handles where there was no "play" btw - not that that is relevant ).
I keep expecting to hear about the air suspension having a similar rate of failure, but TBH, I haven't heard of a single case of (expensive) air suspension repair. Any data on failure rate on that? Just curious.
It will be interesting to see how Tesla handles it, as unlike their batteries they can't really throttle anything to minimize damage/early replacements AFAIK. I wonder if the Model 3 never sees that option available, as it seems Tesla is moving away from complicated electronic stuff i.e. pano roofs, Model X headrests, Model X spoiler, etc.

For #2 is funny you say that because I felt the same until someone mentioned how all of the games and Youtube stuff presents better in landscape. Wouldn't even surprise me if they changed it to that in a refresh, like they did w/Cybertruck.

I'd didn't buy a Tesla for games/movies. After having a Model 3 and Model X, Portrait is 10x nicer for Driving, Navigation, Split Screen, Looks, you name it. Oh and you can actually still enjoy Netflix on it.

I'd didn't buy a Tesla for games/movies. After having a Model 3 and Model X, Portrait is 10x nicer for Driving, Navigation, Split Screen, Looks, you name it. Oh and you can actually still enjoy Netflix on it.
I think they're the only company that actually still offers their nav in portrait, I could see longitudinal states like CA or FL having that advantage but at least to me horizontal is the preferred aspect ratio as most people read/glance left to right. I'd really be surprised if they continue it in the refresh tbh, as the Cybertruck already was shown with a new 17" one based on the Model 3 version:

tesla-cybertruck-center-touchscreen.jpg

I think they're the only company that actually still offers their nav in portrait, I could see longitudinal states like CA or FL having that advantage but at least to me horizontal is the preferred aspect ratio as most people read/glance left to right. I'd really be surprised if they continue it in the refresh tbh, as the Cybertruck already was shown with a new 17" one based on the Model 3 version:

tesla-cybertruck-center-touchscreen.jpg

I would rather see the turn/exit/destination coming up ahead of me on Portrait versus the McDonalds a block to the right on Landscape. Navigation is always better in Portrait.

Since Model 3/CT is limited to one screen, the screen is split and the Navigation is Portrait (but a much smaller one than S/X, like 1/3 to 1/4 the size). You basically end up with a 10" (Portrait) iPad for Nav vs 17" Portrait on S/X.

You also don't have to reach so far over to the right side for things on Portrait.

I absolutely love the display in front of the Wheel on my Model X. I like the clean look in Model 3 too. But I'd rather have critical stuff in front than to the side. It frees up the main screen for more stuff too.

The reason for single screen on Model 3/Cybertruck is purely Cost. They should make it rotatable and everyone will be happy, expect the 1000 threads discussing which way is better.

For some things it doesn't matter portait or landscape.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The reason for single screen on Model 3/Cybertruck is purely Cost. They should make it rotatable and everyone will be happy, expect the 1000 threads discussing which way is better.

I would argue the reason is preparation for Full Self Driving/Autonomy. The cost difference between a 15" screen and 17" screen is minimal.

With Full Self Driving/Autonomy, you don't need an instrument cluster and won't need to look at your screen much while driving (e.g., to check speed, next turn for navigation, etc.).

Reactions: BulldogsRus
I would argue the reason is preparation for Full Self Driving/Autonomy. The cost difference between a 15" screen and 17" screen is minimal.

With Full Self Driving/Autonomy, you don't need an instrument cluster and won't need to look at your screen much while driving (e.g., to check speed, next turn for navigation, etc.).

I agree with that. But we know how soon that will happen. They could take that second screen away when they took the steering wheel out ;)

I like the way the Mustang-E did the second screen. Clean simple, probably not to expensive and nobody to bitch it's missing.