Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protecting key while surfing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If where you park your car when you go surfing has good internet connection, and if you have an Apple Watch Series 2, you could leave your key at home. As long as you leave your iPhone in the car, you can use the Remote S app to lock and unlock the door with your Watch. And Watch 2 is waterproof so hopefully safe for surfing.

This is what I do when I go jogging. No need to carry a key with me (in case it rains). Just make sure you have Internet connection there before embarking on this endeavor.

I don't know if you could duplicate this process with an Android phone and watch.

The key card is 100% waterproof—no bags or cases needed.

This is what I do (zip-tied to back zip strap—haven't surfed with it yet):

20200830_083403.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Chaserr
If you're surfing with a buddy, you can store your key in their car. If you're near a residential area you could make friends with a resident and ask if you can setup a lockbox on their water main/gas meter/gate and store your key in there. Or you could install a rear tow hitch or tow hook and place the lockbox there...you'll need an RFID blocking sleeve if the key fob is going to be stored near the car though. Some lock boxes might also fit around the wheel spoke if you have the right rims; that'll probably be the easiest way to do it.