Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protection against running over a person ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not using FSD. I was stopped in the driveway at my uncle's house. I had him stand in front of my Model Y and slowly drove towards him.

The car made beeping sounds and displayed a "stop" message, but I got to the point where the car was almost touching him and he had to jump out of the way.

I would have thought that some emergency braking would have kicked in to prevent me from hitting him.

How should it be working in this situation?

Not using FSD. I was stopped in the driveway at my uncle's house. I had him stand in front of my Model Y and slowly drove towards him.

The car made beeping sounds and displayed a "stop" message, but I got to the point where the car was almost touching him and he had to jump out of the way.

I would have thought that some emergency braking would have kicked in to prevent me from hitting him.

The below is from your manual:

"Automatic Emergency Braking is designed to reduce the severity of an impact. It is not designed to avoid a collision."

If you want collision avoidance, you might need to upgrade your hardware and software to Waymo's technology.

Tesla software is not mature enough for your standard.

It's unknown when Tesla software will get better in collision avoidance.

Older Tesla cars can use summon even it can collide with obstacles.

New Tesla cars lost the capability of summon even when you are willing to accept damages from collisions.

Last edited:

Wow. How should it be working?

1.) don’t have people stand in front of your car and try to run them over.
2.) pay attention while you’re driving

That’s really it.

This is literally the dumbest thing I have seen someone post on here in a while. Using an actual human to test emergency safety features…

Wow. How should it be working?

1.) don’t have people stand in front of your car and try to run them over.
2.) pay attention while you’re driving

That’s really it.

This is literally the dumbest thing I have seen someone post on here in a while. Using an actual human to test emergency safety features…

"A guy called Carmine Cupani reportedly got his 11-year-old son to stand in the path of his Tesla as it was doing 35mph on “full self-driving” mode in a car park."

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow

I don't think Tesla AEB overrides driver accelerator input.

Reactions: enemji

Thanksgiving must be fun at your house.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow

Pedestrians are usually slow enough for the FSD to predict the safe slow-down, not even involving the AEB.

Nevertheless, there are some exceptions where it can fail. I've had a person riding an electric unicycle jumping red light in front of me. FSD did not mark them as a threat (pedestrian marked gray, not blue), so AEB had to brake hard to prevent a collision.

I had him stand in front of my Model Y and slowly drove towards him.
From the Model Y manual:

Automatic Emergency Braking operates only when driving between approximately 3 mph (5 km/h) and 124 mph (200 km/h).

I'm sure you didn't drive towards him at more than 3 mph. If you did, that would be quite irresponsible.

Also, as pointed out earlier: AEB is designed to reduce the effects of a collision, not mitigate it:

When a collision is considered unavoidable, Automatic Emergency Braking is designed to apply the brakes to reduce the vehicle's speed and therefore, the severity of the impact. The amount of speed that is reduced depends on many factors, including driving speed and environment.

Basically so the occupants of the vehicle are less whiplashed/beat up due to an accident. The safety features aren't really meant for the other road users. (but the benefits do trickle down of course. Mister pedestrian will have lower chances of death if the Tesla that hit him actived AEB. Same goes for other vehicles/drivers/VRU's.

TL;DR: you misunderstood the safety features.

EDIT: to add: if you were to engage FSD/AP, the Tesla would in fact stop for the pedestrian. Different features, different goals.

Reactions: spacecoin
I found out last night that the car will respond to a deer standing right at the edge of the road.

It was a narrow, winding, paved road at 1am with an adult white tailed deer standing with her nose about a foot clear of the road surface. The car slowed from 40 mph to about 10 mph, drove past, then resumed 40 mph. The deer didn't move a muscle.

She was broadside to the cameras, at night, with my high beams illuminating her, so it was fairly ideal. Not that I would ever see a deer that close to the road during daytime.

I found out last night that the car will respond to a deer standing right at the edge of the road.

It was a narrow, winding, paved road at 1am with an adult white tailed deer standing with her nose about a foot clear of the road surface. The car slowed from 40 mph to about 10 mph, drove past, then resumed 40 mph. The deer didn't move a muscle.

She was broadside to the cameras, at night, with my high beams illuminating her, so it was fairly ideal. Not that I would ever see a deer that close to the road during daytime.
Were you using FSD, EAP or neither. As you say it was in ideal conditions for the cameras to "see" her although she wasn't moving. It would be interesting to know how the car would react if there was a large animal just out of human vision moving towards the road at a speed that would mean a collision was likely.

Were you using FSD, EAP or neither.
FSD 11.4.7.2

It would be interesting to know how the car would react if there was a large animal just out of human vision moving towards the road at a speed that would mean a collision was likely.
Given that they're dumping V11, I'll wait for V12 before allowing large animals to charge my car :)

Reactions: Quamera