Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA - small dents on all brand new Model Y hoods

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, what I have found is that the latching mechanism is either pulling down to tight on the hood, or is not set at the appropriate height.

If you look under the hood - where the corresponding dents are, that where the bolts are for the latch. Now, on the hood there are two black twisty nobs. This allows you to adjust the height alignment on the hood (up or down). I tighted both of those so that the hood is at the lowest height - now, when I close the hood, the warping/denting is gone. The only issue now is that the hood is a bit misaligned in height...something I may just need to live with as its not too bad. But I will still have Tesla come out to see if they can maybe adjust the locking mechanism - unless someone here knows how to do that. :D
Interesting find. When I pop my frunk, the dents seem to go away. Once latched, they come back.

Yes, adjust the black bumper nobs so that they are "in" and flush. Then close the hood and see that the warping is no longer present.
BTW - I recommend taking a picture of the nobs before adjusting. As you twist the nobs, you will see levels on the nob adjust as well. This helps to ensure both sides are aligned at the same height. Just in case you want to go back to the height from the factory.

But, the choice is either dents around the logo or a misaligned frunk, right?
The spacing is still perfect, its just the frunk is a bit more sunk in (really not noticeable). I prefer that than the warping/denting until Tesla Mobile can come out to either adjust the latch (so that the tension is not so strong) or raise the latch up a bit. Once this is done you will be able to level the hood again so that it will be in the right alignment.

Reactions: Everlast
BTW - I recommend taking a picture of the nobs before adjusting. As you twist the nobs, you will see levels on the nob adjust as well. This helps to ensure both sides are aligned at the same height. Just in case you want to go back to the height from the factory.
There also seems to be a spot in the middle of the thread of the black nobs where the resistance stops then picks up again when twisting. That seems to be the factory height level for the nobs.

Had my service appointment this morning. When I showed him the dents around the logo, he immediately said that they will adjust the hood latch height. He’s seen it before. I’ll report back later when I have the car back.
Ya - I have my service appt next friday (day after thanksgiving) :D

I used my temp solutions, its been working well so far. But I DO want for my hood to be at the right height/alignment.

Not build quality but operator error. The FIRST thing the SA did when I picked up my car was to show me how to close the frunk. THE FIRST thing - I might add! We all need to be shown how to properly close it. It's pretty obvious in this post that someone did some major 'pushing' on the hood to close it.

One of the reasons I installed the auto open / close Frunk is because of how fragile the Frunk hood is. The first time I closed it (being as gentle as possible) I felt it flex significantly under my hands before it latched. I stopped using the frunk partly because I knew that one over enthusiastic closing of the hood would dent it... now that I have the auto open / close I will go back to using the Frunk :)

Keith

Reactions: Falcon73
Actually, what I have found is that the latching mechanism is either pulling down to tight on the hood, or is not set at the appropriate height.

If you look under the hood - where the corresponding dents are, that where the bolts are for the latch. Now, on the hood there are two black twisty nobs. This allows you to adjust the height alignment on the hood (up or down). I tighted both of those so that the hood is at the lowest height - now, when I close the hood, the warping/denting is gone. The only issue now is that the hood is a bit misaligned in height...something I may just need to live with as its not too bad. But I will still have Tesla come out to see if they can maybe adjust the locking mechanism - unless someone here knows how to do that. :D

If you are handy with tools you can adjust it yourself, I learned how while installing my auto open / close Frunk system.

Take out the frunk liner by taking off the cowl cover, popping loose one push pin on the drivers side, pop loose the "trapped in frunk" switch, and removing 4 bolts (two at the front, two down in the bottom) this will give access to the latch mechanism. Mark the outline of the current latch position with painters tape / masking tape. Then loosen the two bolts holding the latch mechanism in place and adjust it up or down as needed.

Or, if you are not comfortable doing this just make a service appointment :)

Keith

If you are handy with tools you can adjust it yourself, I learned how while installing my auto open / close Frunk system.

Take out the frunk liner by taking off the cowl cover, popping loose one push pin on the drivers side, pop loose the "trapped in frunk" switch, and removing 4 bolts (two at the front, two down in the bottom) this will give access to the latch mechanism. Mark the outline of the current latch position with painters tape / masking tape. Then loosen the two bolts holding the latch mechanism in place and adjust it up or down as needed.

Or, if you are not comfortable doing this just make a service appointment :)

Keith
Thanks for this post. I got my car back yesterday and they did not do a very good job. The dents were still there. They offered to make another adjustment while I waited at pick up. I’m not sure if they actually adjusted the latch or just the two black stoppers but they didn’t seem to find the right combination of both. Were you able to make the dents go away AND have the hood be completely flush with the adjoining panels on both sides by adjusting the latch and stoppers?

When closing the hood, your hands should really be below the emblem, just above the edge of the panel. I noticed very quickly that near the emblem does not have enough support. When I close, i put my palm about 1/4 inch above the edge. This is one of those places where an electric latch like the rear would be much better.

I noticed this too. When I took delivery a few weeks ago I felt a little silly I couldn't close the frunk all the way. An SA was in the lot and I called him over and he showed me how to properly close the hood; he said to place your palm in that same place below the emblem and push down and towards the edge in one movement and leave it there for a second.

One of the reasons I installed the auto open / close Frunk is because of how fragile the Frunk hood is. The first time I closed it (being as gentle as possible) I felt it flex significantly under my hands before it latched. I stopped using the frunk partly because I knew that one over enthusiastic closing of the hood would dent it... now that I have the auto open / close I will go back to using the Frunk :)

Keith

Yeah, I really wish this was a factory option or came standard. I haven't received my Y yet but did test one out and just seems like the Frunk would be way more useful with it. Plus the fact that I could feel it flex when I closed it.

Thanks for this post. I got my car back yesterday and they did not do a very good job. The dents were still there. They offered to make another adjustment while I waited at pick up. I’m not sure if they actually adjusted the latch or just the two black stoppers but they didn’t seem to find the right combination of both. Were you able to make the dents go away AND have the hood be completely flush with the adjoining panels on both sides by adjusting the latch and stoppers?
If i roll up the stops all the way and close the hood, the dents disappear. This is telling me the latch is too low and needs to be shifted up. Once shifted up, you can roll the stops down a bit so that the height alignment will be spot on.

I didn't have the dent problem, I learned how to adjust the latch when installing my "auto open / auto close" frunk system.

Keith

I had the same issue and was able to adjust things to where it is ok, not perfect. The dents closest to the edge never really disappear and in fact the sun was just right today where they became very noticeable and annoying to me. I asked them to fix the remaining dents but they did not do anything stating it is a common/known issue and like other Ys. I walked the lot and saw well over 50 Ys from all sorts of timeframes including brand new ones yet to be delivered. Every single one had the dents/warping to some degree. I told them about one really bad one on a pre-delivery car but they said it was normal.

Reactions: Falcon73