Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA - small dents on all brand new Model Y hoods

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to test drive a MY at Fremont factory store today (Oct 23, 2021) and noticed a brand new Model Y with small dents around the T emblem on the hood (as seen in the photo attached). When I looked at the other Model Ys parked there (all brand new), they all had the same dent at the same location. I looked at at least 5 other Model Ys.

I don't know if they got a bad batch of Model Ys, or something wrong with their stamping machine, or if this is just normal. Hopefully, they fix this issue and it doesn't continue for all new Model Ys moving forward. I would have a hard time accepting my Model Y with these dents.

IMG_1623.jpg

That looks like someone who works at the detail shop at Tesla doesn't know how fragile that area is when closing the trunk. You have to place both hands near the Tesla logo on the left and right and push down to close. They probably put so much force when closing them and not realizing they are denting them until the 6th car or something lol
You'd think after this happens with enough frequency (assembly, during test drives, by owners) they'd figure out a better way to reinforce this area? Tesla is known for continuous improvement, how costly and time consuming could this possibly be to fix?

Small paint chip on the front hood at delivery :(
No one noticed this?? Now I can’t ppf it at my a appt today and have to book a service call to look after it. Also a paint bubble in drivers door. 🤦🏽‍♂️Both are full repaints of the areas.

Argh..

Tesla’s QC sucks…nothing knew there…

Attachments

• 9DB9BC9B-5B7B-401D-8E55-04DAEC8413BB.jpeg
    9DB9BC9B-5B7B-401D-8E55-04DAEC8413BB.jpeg
    782.6 KB · Views: 310
  • 2293359B-8CBD-4B4E-BEDB-0CACFC18C40E.jpeg
    2293359B-8CBD-4B4E-BEDB-0CACFC18C40E.jpeg
    717.2 KB · Views: 367
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
saw someone post new car pics on facebook with the same dents. Probably shitty build quality.
Not build quality but operator error. The FIRST thing the SA did when I picked up my car was to show me how to close the frunk. THE FIRST thing - I might add! We all need to be shown how to properly close it. It's pretty obvious in this post that someone did some major 'pushing' on the hood to close it.

Not build quality but operator error. The FIRST thing the SA did when I picked up my car was to show me how to close the frunk. THE FIRST thing - I might add! We all need to be shown how to properly close it. It's pretty obvious in this post that someone did some major 'pushing' on the hood to close it.
IMO any design / build that makes this so crucial and likely to happen, that the first thing an SA takes the time to explain to a new owner is how to close it properly, is poor design/ quality.

Exhibit A - "You're holding it wrong"

IMO any design / build that makes this so crucial and likely to happen, that the first thing an SA takes the time to explain to a new owner is how to close it properly, is poor design/ quality.

Exhibit A - "You're holding it wrong"
Its actually one of the videos they have you watch before taking delivery and when I went to an SC (prior to purchase), they had a sign on the hood that instructed ppl how to close it.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
When closing the hood, your hands should really be below the emblem, just above the edge of the panel. I noticed very quickly that near the emblem does not have enough support. When I close, i put my palm about 1/4 inch above the edge. This is one of those places where an electric latch like the rear would be much better.

One thing I did notice, and I'll have to get a good picture of the issue, when the car sits in the sun for an extended period of time and the weather is 85 degrees or more, I have a series of these fist-sized "dents" across the upper mid-section of my hood (blue MY). Once the hood cools down, they disappear. So it is clear the aluminum in the hood expands and stresses out the outer skin which pulls against the inner structure, but I have to say over 30+ years, and dozens of vehicles, I've never owned a vehicle which has had this occur.

Reactions: Falcon73
After I took delivery of my new MYLR last week, I took some pics. That’s when I noticed the dent exactly as described in this post. I have a service appointment next week to address this and some other issues.

Yeah that's a bummer :-(

I've successfully popped out bigger dents than that without negatively impacting the paint. Granted this was on older cars, probably pre-environmentally friendly paint, the stuff they shoot today is largely garbage. Please report back how they address the issue.

Actually, what I have found is that the latching mechanism is either pulling down to tight on the hood, or is not set at the appropriate height.

If you look under the hood - where the corresponding dents are, that where the bolts are for the latch. Now, on the hood there are two black twisty nobs. This allows you to adjust the height alignment on the hood (up or down). I tighted both of those so that the hood is at the lowest height - now, when I close the hood, the warping/denting is gone. The only issue now is that the hood is a bit misaligned in height...something I may just need to live with as its not too bad. But I will still have Tesla come out to see if they can maybe adjust the locking mechanism - unless someone here knows how to do that. :D