Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA - small dents on all brand new Model Y hoods

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are handy with tools you can adjust it yourself, I learned how while installing my auto open / close Frunk system.

Take out the frunk liner by taking off the cowl cover, popping loose one push pin on the drivers side, pop loose the "trapped in frunk" switch, and removing 4 bolts (two at the front, two down in the bottom) this will give access to the latch mechanism. Mark the outline of the current latch position with painters tape / masking tape. Then loosen the two bolts holding the latch mechanism in place and adjust it up or down as needed.

Or, if you are not comfortable doing this just make a service appointment :)

Keith
You can actually adjust the latch by simply taking the cover with the light and button on it off (no tools required for that). Dont need to remove anything else. you can see the 2 bolts (10mm?) for the latch from there.

Reactions: Falcon73
Not build quality but operator error. The FIRST thing the SA did when I picked up my car was to show me how to close the frunk. THE FIRST thing - I might add! We all need to be shown how to properly close it. It's pretty obvious in this post that someone did some major 'pushing' on the hood to close it.
Certainly not operator error - it’s just plain bad design having an aluminium hood without an easy way to close the latch.

Certainly not operator error - it’s just plain bad design having an aluminium hood without an easy way to close the latch.
I agree. A known issue and not because of user error in closing the hood. Seems like for some of us who took delivery in November had it worst… adding to the missing usb-c and wireless charger not working (circuit open due to missing adapter).

When we took delivery of our Model Y, the sides and front were pretty much flushed but there was a lot warping/dents on the hood around the emblem. They told us there was too much tension (latch attachments pulling and creating the dents as pointed out by the others here), so they adjusted it. Then after they’ve done what they can at the delivery center, the sides were flushed, the dents are gone but the front rose to about 0.5cm high against the bumper. I was advised to go to service. Tesla service readjusted the latch to make the front flushed again but had to shorten the rubber stopper to prevent warping/denting, front flushed but both sides sunk >0.5cm. Any height added to the rubber stopper creates warping of the hood near the latch. Obviously, this is a manufacturing defect - maybe the stamping of the hood - too much curve?? I've seen the same problems on a lot of Model Ys but just have variations of severity. The service advisor pretty much told me they had to put "it" (gap or whatever it's called) somewhere... either the front or the sides! In my case, I chose to have a flushed front as the sides are less noticeable...

Car is great, don’t get me wrong! I know it can’t be perfect but ~half centimeter difference is still a lot for me! There were more issues with gaps which they’ve improved for our mY. I guess I will just have to live with it…

I agree. A known issue and not because of user error in closing the hood. Seems like for some of us who took delivery in November had it worst… adding to the missing usb-c and wireless charger not working (circuit open due to missing adapter).

When we took delivery of our Model Y, the sides and front were pretty much flushed but there was a lot warping/dents on the hood around the emblem. They told us there was too much tension (latch attachments pulling and creating the dents as pointed out by the others here), so they adjusted it. Then after they’ve done what they can at the delivery center, the sides were flushed, the dents are gone but the front rose to about 0.5cm high against the bumper. I was advised to go to service. Tesla service readjusted the latch to make the front flushed again but had to shorten the rubber stopper to prevent warping/denting, front flushed but both sides sunk >0.5cm. Any height added to the rubber stopper creates warping of the hood near the latch. Obviously, this is a manufacturing defect - maybe the stamping of the hood - too much curve?? I've seen the same problems on a lot of Model Ys but just have variations of severity. The service advisor pretty much told me they had to put "it" (gap or whatever it's called) somewhere... either the front or the sides! In my case, I chose to have a flushed front as the sides are less noticeable...

Car is great, don’t get me wrong! I know it can’t be perfect but ~half centimeter difference is still a lot for me! There were more issues with gaps which they’ve improved for our mY. I guess I will just have to live with it…
I had my latch raised during a visit to the service center. The area directly in front of the logo is now flush with the hood. However, to make both sides of the hood flush with the panels on the left and right side by raising the plastic bumpers causes warping around the logo. The service center said they don’t recommend raising the latch anymore. Thus, the choice is warping/dents or a hood that looks like someone sat on it and smushed each side in.

One thing I did notice, and I'll have to get a good picture of the issue, when the car sits in the sun for an extended period of time and the weather is 85 degrees or more, I have a series of these fist-sized "dents" across the upper mid-section of my hood (blue MY). Once the hood cools down, they disappear. So it is clear the aluminum in the hood expands and stresses out the outer skin which pulls against the inner structure, but I have to say over 30+ years, and dozens of vehicles, I've never owned a vehicle which has had this occur.
Very interesting. I just noticed it on mine. I'm in California and its 86F here and I'm seeing the same EXACT fist size indentations.