Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled over driving Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The same thing happened to us, many years ago, when the Audi A6 was brand new. A trouper in Tenn. pulled us over, and after a little conversation, admitted he just wanted a close look. ( car had CA temp reg. also). I offered to let him drive it, and he grinned and said thanks no, and wished us a good trip.

I got pulled over yesterday morning by a State Trooper on the Tollway in Dallas.

I was NOT speeding (thankfully), and he tailed/stalked me for 2 miles before finally lighting me up.
He couldn't see that "little piece of paper" (and really didn't know what it was) as I was going by him @ 65.
The Trooper wanted to know where I was going, and Issued me a Written Warning...

(Paperwork from Tesla had just arrived on Saturday, now I can start tag processing!!)

Good thing I had the car inspected the day before (which was a laughable experience), as they were trying to do all sorts of tests on my MS, couldn't find the turn indicators, etc.

Why do you use metric? (31 degrees outside, 22 degrees set temperature...)

Yes I use metric. I have flipped back and forth between km and miles in the Model S only because I really do check my speed constantly. I can do the math but it distracts from driving.

In my previous cars everything was metric, distance, temp, but with an dual marked analog speedo I could still check speed vs posted speed.

And no units on speed on the forums. Don't want to admit guilt ever!

I drove down to LA last weekend and a CHP pulled me over and said I was driving a little erratic and wanted to make sure that I wasn't drinking. That was a real brief conversation and then he proceeded to ask me a bunch of questions about the car. It was a little weird since I saw quite a few MS down there. He could have easily seen many more by going a few miles over to the Hawthorne supercharger thst I was headed to. Maybe it was my license plate that attracted him in the first place.

*sigh*

2013-06-26 19.03.50.jpg

Allegedly 88 in a 65

I drove down to LA last weekend and a CHP pulled me over and said I was driving a little erratic and wanted to make sure that I wasn't drinking. That was a real brief conversation and then he proceeded to ask me a bunch of questions about the car. It was a little weird since I saw quite a few MS down there. He could have easily seen many more by going a few miles over to the Hawthorne supercharger thst I was headed to. Maybe it was my license plate that attracted him in the first place.
Hey, SMD, I notice you drive a blue/tan/lacewood 85. That's the exact design I have ordered and should arrive in Massachusetts by the end of July. How do you like it? I notice lacewood seems uncommon, but sure looked nice to me!

Hey, SMD, I notice you drive a blue/tan/lacewood 85. That's the exact design I have ordered and should arrive in Massachusetts by the end of July. How do you like it? I notice lacewood seems uncommon, but sure looked nice to me!

Lacewood is more uncommon, but I love it. You can see and feel the texture of the wood grain, it's matte so never any fingerprints. All new passengers in the car will run their fingers along the wood when they see it and usually comment how great it is! I just wish the center 17" screen was matte, that's NEVER without fingerprints.

This might be a record...
Got what turned out to be a warning not 25 minutes after I took delivery on Wednesday....
IMG_4671.jpg

State Trooper.. Not impressed. Here's the exchange:
Trooper: "Hello, Sir, do you know why I've pulled you over?"
Me: "Well, I wasn't driving erratically, so I'm going to go with speed?"
Trooper: "Correct. 71 in a 35 zone"
Me: "Wow!, was trying to figure out this graph on the dash and what it means... it's a Tesla, I just drove off the lot. It's electric!"
Trooper: "I know. License and registration please."

Ouch!

He did return and tell me I would be getting a warning this time. Nice. Hadn't ever gotten a warning before. <g>

This might be a record...
Got what turned out to be a warning not 25 minutes after I took delivery on Wednesday....
View attachment 24616
State Trooper.. Not impressed. Here's the exchange:
Trooper: "Hello, Sir, do you know why I've pulled you over?"
Me: "Well, I wasn't driving erratically, so I'm going to go with speed?"
Trooper: "Correct. 71 in a 35 zone"
Me: "Wow!, was trying to figure out this graph on the dash and what it means... it's a Tesla, I just drove off the lot. It's electric!"
Trooper: "I know. License and registration please."

Ouch!

He did return and tell me I would be getting a warning this time. Nice. Hadn't ever gotten a warning before. <g>

Two things...
A warning for doing 71 in a 35... Are you kidding me?!
"... I'm going to go with speed."

In this neck of the woods, you'd be so busted.
Too funny. :biggrin: