Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchased Used P85, Not Free Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This screenshot is from Tesla-info

Attachments

• 398FD8C9-EE81-4310-A24D-8DD07AE40748.png
    398FD8C9-EE81-4310-A24D-8DD07AE40748.png
    246.3 KB · Views: 246
Tesla has likely hired a lot of folks since the change in superchargeing billing or lack there of.
This could be as simple as a new person accustomed to 3s setup your account.

I would email on this question that way the responder has a few minutes to figure it out rather than risk putting a newbie on the spot.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Tesla has likely hired a lot of folks since the change in superchargeing billing or lack there of.
This could be as simple as a new person accustomed to 3s setup your account.

I would email on this question that way the responder has a few minutes to figure it out rather than risk putting a newbie on the spot.

I've also chatted with them twice. It is at a service center now, seeing if they can help. If not, Ill be sending an email.

Still nothing. I’ve gotten the same answer over and over, even from the Service Center. I did supercharge for the 2nd time since having the car transferred in my account and noticed something interesting. My credit balance “reset” back to 400 kWh. Attached is a screenshot.

Attachments

• FA65A656-598C-47CA-956E-5F6D43CDAC7A.png
    FA65A656-598C-47CA-956E-5F6D43CDAC7A.png
    167.6 KB · Views: 171
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
The only reason I can think of in tesla land is that the car was traded in during the last week of March 2019 when tesla was offering to transfer free Supercharging from your old car to whatever new car was bought.

I am not sure how those cars were handled but I wouldn't be surprised if those cars lost free Supercharging. Doesn't make sense to the future buyer of that car that it wouldn't have it and causes confusion. Good luck at figuring this out.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and jcarp09
The only reason I can think of in tesla land is that the car was traded in during the last week of March 2019 when tesla was offering to transfer free Supercharging from your old car to whatever new car was bought.

I am not sure how those cars were handled but I wouldn't be surprised if those cars lost free Supercharging. Doesn't make sense to the future buyer of that car that it wouldn't have it and causes confusion. Good luck at figuring this out.
That's not at all how that worked, though. They were explicitly clear that the old cars had the free unlimited Supercharging attached to them permanently. That could not be removed by any possible future sales promotions.

What you are referring to are some time periods where they said, "We will now offer a sales promotion where we are selling these new cars that have free unlimited Supercharging attached to them temporarily, and it can transfer off of that car if it is sold." That had nothing to do with cars being traded in. The new sales offer can't rip away something that was guaranteed to stay with the old cars.

So to help understand that article, here's the quote about the offer:

"According to people familiar with the matter, Tesla is offering existing owners with free Supercharging on their current vehicles to be grandfathered-in when purchasing a new Model S or Model X and get 3 years of free unlimited Supercharging if they order and take delivery by the end of the quarter."

That was trying to motivate people to buy newer cars. But they knew people were very attached to the free Supercharging they already had, and they wouldn't want to feel so let down by ripping off the band-aid all at once of having no free Supercharging. So they were offering that they new car could have 3 years of free Supercharging to provide kind of a gradual let-down of phasing it out. But that had nothing to do with changing what the old cars had.

So to help understand that article, here's the quote about the offer:

"According to people familiar with the matter, Tesla is offering existing owners with free Supercharging on their current vehicles to be grandfathered-in when purchasing a new Model S or Model X and get 3 years of free unlimited Supercharging if they order and take delivery by the end of the quarter."

That was trying to motivate people to buy newer cars. But they knew people were very attached to the free Supercharging they already had, and they wouldn't want to feel so let down by ripping off the band-aid all at once of having no free Supercharging. So they were offering that they new car could have 3 years of free Supercharging to provide kind of a gradual let-down of phasing it out. But that had nothing to do with changing what the old cars had.

I entirely agree with what you are saying. It is perfectly logical and matches what was presented. Corporations don't always operate perfectly logically or per what they say. Sometimes in the background there are decisions made by people who don't know the external message or the impact to the customers. This was what stood out to me as a possibility. Not being a Tesla employee I have no idea what actually happened.

I can tell you my recently purchased 2013 P85 was bought in August 2019 from a Tx dealer, who advertised and assured me it came with FUSC. Well, now, 1 month later- when Tesla finally added my car to my account- they show me that my car has "pay as you go" supercharging. This despite the fact that when I took car into Service center for annual inspection a few weeks back- they told me the car showed having code SC0001- Free supercharging. I will be pursuing with both the dealer I bought it from, and from Tesla.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Theres rumor that some vehicles that went back into Tesla's inventory, that they actually removed the unlimited supercharging feature prior to reselling the vehicle.

Interesting point. This is true, and Tesla does have ever right to change the status of the car if they buy it and own it. It is interesting because I believe one of the dealers in Tx is selling cars that Tesla took as trades. Wonder if this wasn't communicated? If that's the case - it's pretty crappy.

So... here is what I finally got in a response from Tesla....

"Looking at your account, I see your vehicle is configured for Pay Per Use Supercharging. This appears to be correct as I find an auction sale in this vehicle's ownership history. As of 4/23/2019, all vehicle-specific Supercharging benefits are removed after Tesla has sold a vehicle to an auction. I do apologize for this confusion."

So- even though the TX dealer I bought it from assured me that it had free supercharging ( because it did)- they sold it to me and once I registered it with Tesla- Tesla is only now taking away my FUSC- because they sold it at an auction 5 months earlier than when I bought it.

I am still pursuing with the dealer in TX- who sells many Tesla's and has claimed this far that the car should definitely have free supercharging. I asked them to further research on their end and work to a resolution.....
I will keep you posted (again)...

"Looking at your account, I see your vehicle is configured for Pay Per Use Supercharging. This appears to be correct as I find an auction sale in this vehicle's ownership history. As of 4/23/2019, all vehicle-specific Supercharging benefits are removed after Tesla has sold a vehicle to an auction. I do apologize for this confusion."

So- even though the TX dealer I bought it from assured me that it had free supercharging ( because it did)- they sold it to me and once I registered it with Tesla- Tesla is only now taking away my FUSC- because they sold it at an auction 5 months earlier than when I bought it.

I am still pursuing with the dealer in TX- who sells many Tesla's and has claimed this far that the car should definitely have free supercharging. I asked them to further research on their end and work to a resolution.....
Sound like a lawyer may need to contact the TX dealer. Make sure you keep all communications. They are going to have to resolve this with Tesla.

But was it auctioned by Tesla? Anyone can send a vehicle to auction, not just Tesla. Do you have a Carfax for this car already? Sometimes you can see on the Carfax what dealer took it in on trade. I would guess that we can't see that and based on the wording here the person at Tesla just assumed it was them auctioning it without actually knowing. I would push a bit harder until they can confirm they had control of this car, just any old auction won't do, it had to be their property.

Your claim is against the dealer and is a slam dunk if you have it in writing that you get FUSC. The dealer's claim is against Tesla.

Last edited: