Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m pulling the plug and purchasing a Model 3! Before I do so, how does the current owner check the range of the car? Is the only way to charge to 100%?

Once I purchase and remove their phone from the list of keys, would they still be able to track the location of the car? Any way to disassociate their app with the car once I drive off?

Yeah, you can't use your phone as a key until the car is added to your Tesla account. Once the car is associated to your Tesla account, the previous owner will no longer have access to the car's info and you will then be able to add your phone as a key, through the app.

Projected range is going to vary based on how you drive the car. There is a percentage or mile meter on the main screen that will show you miles based off charge or percentage of battery remaining, based on what view you have selected. If you have it set to miles, this is a basic conversion of Wh (Watt hours) to miles and does not factor in your driving habits, environmental factors, or any other variables that effect range. However, there is another screen you can go to that will project your range based on the last 5 or 15 or 30 miles you have driven. On the bottom of the main screen you will see a ^ in a box, press that and you will get another menu of options, select "Energy." This will give you a graph that shows your battery consumption over the course of the last 5, 15 or 30 miles (you select what mile distance you want). To the far right it will show you a projected range based on you previous energy consumption. This is the most accurate. If you're driving around like a bat out of hell for a day, then your projected range is likely to be pretty low the next time you get into the car. If you drive normal and with the flow for a day, then your projected range will be much higher the next time you get in the car. It all depends on how you drive and the conditions you are driving in. Cold weather and lots of uphill climbs will obviously impact range more than flatter drives in nice sunny weather.

I’m pulling the plug and purchasing a Model 3! Before I do so, how does the current owner check the range of the car? Is the only way to charge to 100%?

Once I purchase and remove their phone from the list of keys, would they still be able to track the location of the car? Any way to disassociate their app with the car once I drive off?

you can just pull the slider to 100% and see that or divide the current displayed range by the curent SOC. this isnt accurate, maybe +- 2% but its good enough to check ballpark range before buying. whether the car charges to 470 or 474km shouldnt drive the buying decision anyway.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki