Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing Used Model S Out Of State

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am purchasing Used Model S 75 (2017) from a used car dealer in Texas.
This is an out of state purchase, so I will not be seeing the car in person before the purchase.
Carfax report is clean, but the sale history shows that it is sold at an auction in the first week of June.
Is this a red flag?
I ordered a 3rd party inspection from Lemon Squad. Yet to get that report.
Are there any other things I can do to make sure it is a safe purchase?

Does Lemon Squad have experience examining BEVs, especially Teslas? I’d be concerned that they would be unable to discern the health of the battery or other Tesla specific issues, like door handles or air suspension.

Where in Texas is it? Maybe a nearby forum member can also take a look for you.

Does Lemon Squad have experience examining BEVs, especially Teslas? I’d be concerned that they would be unable to discern the health of the battery or other Tesla specific issues, like door handles or air suspension.

Where in Texas is it? Maybe a nearby forum member can also take a look for you.

Most likely they don't. I am hoping they would atleast catch if there are any glaring issues.
Something better than nothing approach.

I'm a dealer here in Texas I personally would only by a used Tesla if 1) has a warranty 2) I drive the car before purchase 3) one owner vehicle and 4) never was sold at an auction. While you can find good vehicles at an auction there is a reason it didn't sell and you're usually buying someone else's repair or maintenance problems.

If you do purchase the vehicle and something material about the Tesla was not told to you upfront, you do have recourse with the Texas DMV.

I am purchasing Used Model S 75 (2017) from a used car dealer in Texas.
This is an out of state purchase, so I will not be seeing the car in person before the purchase.
Carfax report is clean, but the sale history shows that it is sold at an auction in the first week of June.
Is this a red flag?
I ordered a 3rd party inspection from Lemon Squad. Yet to get that report.
Are there any other things I can do to make sure it is a safe purchase?

I think you’ll be nuts to buy a previously auctioned car sight unseen. The cost of a plane ticket, a rental car, and a motel is nothing compared with the price of this purchase. If you cannot arrange to see the car then I wouldn’t buy it.

I’m not sure how long it takes a crash report to make it into the Carfax database.

Ever bought a car unseen, then when delivered found it reeked of cigarette smoke?

I have. The dealer lied about that. That stench eventually fades somewhat with repeated cleaning, and years of constant use of large house fans in the car with all the windows down, but it never ever goes away.

It could be a good car. Trade-ins often go to auction. But so do the worst cars out there.

I’ve had a lot of used cars over the decades. I’m sure there are probably some honest used car dealers out there. You’ve checked the BBB about this one, right?

See the car. You have to see the car.

You’ll do what you want, of course, people always do. If you do, I hope you’ll be able to tell me just how wrong I am.

If you do that, I’ll know deep down that I won’t have been wrong, you’ll just have been lucky.

Bought a 75D out of state from the other side of the country sight unseen and it came in totally flawless. Dealer even detailed it for me before delivery. It was in the shape of a new car.

If it's an honest dealer with good reviews I wouldn't worry so much. YMMV.

Your dealer is not BBB accredited.
Here’s a quote from the most recent of the 3 BBB reviews about Auto Centrix.
This is over a year old. The other two reviews are OK.

Quote from BBB site follows:

Travis ******** at Auto Centrix sold me a 2014 Lexus GS350 Fsport with severe/hidden damage. He provided a fake/manipulated car fax. I now have the actual car fax and it shows that the damage was there. He knew it all along. I was lucky to get into a fender bender within 2 weeks of purchase and the body shop found that there had been serious damage to the front end and was fixed just enough that it couldn't be seen on the exterior. I have a letter from Park Place body works in Dallas that the damage was severe and that the airbags were compromised. He's selling unsafe cars to people! I made him buy the Lexus back from me and I have now learned that he resold it yet again without properly fixing the previous damage. I am happy to provide any documentation needed.

Your dealer is not BBB accredited.
Here’s a quote from the most recent of the 3 BBB reviews about Auto Centrix.
This is over a year old. The other two reviews are OK.

Quote from BBB site follows:

Travis ******** at Auto Centrix sold me a 2014 Lexus GS350 Fsport with severe/hidden damage. He provided a fake/manipulated car fax. I now have the actual car fax and it shows that the damage was there. He knew it all along. I was lucky to get into a fender bender within 2 weeks of purchase and the body shop found that there had been serious damage to the front end and was fixed just enough that it couldn't be seen on the exterior. I have a letter from Park Place body works in Dallas that the damage was severe and that the airbags were compromised. He's selling unsafe cars to people! I made him buy the Lexus back from me and I have now learned that he resold it yet again without properly fixing the previous damage. I am happy to provide any documentation needed.

Thanks a lot. I never saw this. I saw a bunch of reviews on cargurus and yelp and they all seemed very positive.
I guess there is no point in taking this risk, especially with an expensive purchase.
I was finding it very hard to find a red paint car in this price range, so I was tempted to go with out of state dealer. Otherwise, I would have looked for something within the state.
Thanks for pointing this.

I think you’ll be nuts to buy a previously auctioned car sight unseen. The cost of a plane ticket, a rental car, and a motel is nothing compared with the price of this purchase. If you cannot arrange to see the car then I wouldn’t buy it.

I’m not sure how long it takes a crash report to make it into the Carfax database.

Ever bought a car unseen, then when delivered found it reeked of cigarette smoke?

I have. The dealer lied about that. That stench eventually fades somewhat with repeated cleaning, and years of constant use of large house fans in the car with all the windows down, but it never ever goes away.

It could be a good car. Trade-ins often go to auction. But so do the worst cars out there.

I’ve had a lot of used cars over the decades. I’m sure there are probably some honest used car dealers out there. You’ve checked the BBB about this one, right?

See the car. You have to see the car.

You’ll do what you want, of course, people always do. If you do, I hope you’ll be able to tell me just how wrong I am.

If you do that, I’ll know deep down that I won’t have been wrong, you’ll just have been lucky.
Thanks for the details. I think I will pass this car.

You needn’t pass on this car, just buy a plane ticket and see it first. If it turns out that the car doesn’t measure up, that plane ticket will be the most worthwhile purchase you’ve made all year.

If the car does measure up, again that plane ticket will have been well worth it.

Reactions: AtAge19
I have been to this dealership before. I didn't purchase there and wouldn't.

I didn't really interact with them, but my opinion is based on the fact that they say they wholesale cars, meaning they buy auctioned cars and only mark up a few hundred, maybe a thousand bucks, allegedly.

Recently I saw a red P90D for sale at a local dealership (Jaguar I think). It was priced at $53k. I inquired, it was in a major accident, clearly listed on the CarFax as well. A few days later the same car pops up at Auto Centrix, for get this, $59+k.

So I'm not saying they've done anything wrong, nor am I bashing them. But based on what I've seen, I've concluded, whatever they are selling, I can find elsewhere for a better price. That's all. My preference is still to buy from Tesla or an individual, again, just my personal preference.

CarFax - for a Tesla, the repair windows almost certainly take long enough for an accident to appear on the CarFax, if reported. Due to the cost of repairs, insurance is probably involved, so the accident is probably reported.

Auction - In my recent dealer experiences, multiple dealers (Mazda/Chevy/Dodge) claimed any Tesla they would take in as a trade would be immediately flipped for auction. If this would appear in the same fashion as a car totaled and sold at auction, I don't know.