Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Put a deposit on a P3D-, now they're unable to give me one

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put in a deposit late July for a P3D- in pearl white. At the time, I asked to postpone the delivery to this week as the owner of the car we're trading in wouldn't be back until now. I knew at the time that P3D- were limited inventory cars so I double checked with the salesperson and was told that I was guaranteed a car of my exact spec even if no VIN was assigned. Went into the store today to double check since no VIN was assigned yet and was told there's no more pearl white P3D- in the region and that I'd have to pay $2k to have one shipped from the East coast. Should I bite the bullet and just get a P3D+?

I wanted a white on white, but in the 16 hours it took us to make the decision (the time it took me to convince the Wife), it sold. They only had two cars left in my region, a blue on black and a red on black. Settled on the blue. For us, it was more important to get the P3D- than our first choices of exterior/interior color.

We live in a small town with not the greatest roads. That and the fact that I'm getting older and have had five spine surgeries, I just didn't want the Performance suspension. That right there drove us to settling on a different color to get exactly what options we wanted on the car.

Time to sit down and make a list of what's more important to you, especially regarding features vs. color(s).

Edit: I'd also call and talk to a variety of Sales Reps. Some of them appear to be vastly more knowledgeable concerning these cars, and if you get lucky, you might get one that'll actually help you place an order for one, with exactly the color combinations you want (if they are, indeed, still taking orders for them).

I wanted a white on white, but in the 16 hours it took us to make the decision (the time it took me to convince the Wife), it sold. They only had two cars left in my region, a blue on black and a red on black. Settled on the blue. For us, it was more important to get the P3D- than our first choices of exterior/interior color.

Time to sit down and make a list of what's more important to you, especially regarding features vs. color(s).
What's most important for us is pearl white with black interior.

We live in a small town with not the greatest roads. That and the fact that I'm getting older and have had five spine surgeries, I just didn't want the Performance suspension. That right there drove us to settling on a different color to get exactly what options we wanted on the car.

Edit: I'd also call and talk to a variety of Sales Reps. Some of them appear to be vastly more knowledgeable concerning these cars, and if you get lucky, you might get one that'll actually help you place an order for one, with exactly the color combinations you want (if they are, indeed, still taking orders for them).

I sat down with the manager to look for any inventory P3D-. They didn't have any in the region in pearl white/black interior. Was also told that Tesla's not making new P3D- so what's left is it. The one pearl white/black interior ones left are all on the east coast, requiring an additional $2k for shipping... very frustrating as I had called/stopped by to confirm that I was guaranteed the car multiple times.

very frustrating as I had called/stopped by to confirm that I was guaranteed the car multiple times.
Having them not honor an agreement like that just isn't right. I do love the cars (boy, do I love the cars), but Tesla really needs to work on the entire customer experience.

The least they could do is waive the transportation fee to bring in the correct color, since they had previously given you a guarantee that they would have the color you wanted on the agreed upon date.

Reactions: byeLT4

I sat down with the manager to look for any inventory P3D-. They didn't have any in the region in pearl white/black interior. Was also told that Tesla's not making new P3D- so what's left is it. The one pearl white/black interior ones left are all on the east coast, requiring an additional $2k for shipping... very frustrating as I had called/stopped by to confirm that I was guaranteed the car multiple times.
Fly to where it is and drive it home.

Having them not honor an agreement like that just isn't right. I do love the cars (boy, do I love the cars), but Tesla really needs to work on the entire customer experience.

The least they could do is waive the transportation fee to bring in the correct color, since they had previously given you a guarantee that they would have the color you wanted on the agreed upon date.
Hopefully they can do that or maybe give me a P3D+ with 19" rims.

i have equated buying a tesla m3 to dating (or asking out on a date) the hot girl in school. She kind of does what she wants...makes the rules, and you're honestly just happy she knows your name. I think a lot of early adopters are just thrilled to be able to buy one of these cars for 40-50k (especially the p3d-) that they will put up with lackluster communication, incompetent staff, and not your 1st choice of color/interior.... we're just happy to be able to dance with the hot girl in school. HA!

Yeah, maybe find out the closest point that they'd be willing to ship it to for free, then roadtrip or fly out to pick it up.

Shouldn't be necessary to jump through so many hoops, but whaddya gonna do? ; )

But a plane ticket, and make a road trip out of picking up the vehicle you want. Paying Tesla $2k to move it seems like a waste.

Hopefully they can do that or maybe give me a P3D+ with 19" rims.

I wouldn’t count on it.
I tried to make a change when the first White / White Stealth came through with issues and I refused it. I was given a signed statement that they can/t deviate from the sticker.

I then contacted the Paramus site and they were able to find a White / White Stealth with 19 wheels in Cleveland for me. They did not charge me to trailer the car to NJ.

I really think the White / White Stealth looks great.