Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q&A with G. Blankenship : Mobile app + Superchargers in Canada + Q4 Sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the chance to be present at the Tesla Press Conference today at the NAIAS Tesla stand. I had a talk with George and listened to the Q&R from other Media Rep.

First, I asked him if the Model S iPhone app will be ready soon. He responded that it IS ready (both Android AND IOS) and that Apple has already accepted the app. The only thing missing is a Model S firmware update which will begin by the end of January at LATEST !! George wanted to SHOW me the app, but unfortunately his assistant (a blond lady) refused that he do ...

Second, I asked him about the Supercharger in the Toronto - Montreal corridor and he said that it would be WORKING this YEAR (probably 3rd or 4th quarter) !!! Wow ... it's getting near.

Also, a lot of reporters kept asking him the Q4 sales number and he answered most of the time that he was not authorized to answer that question. But once, he said that it would be better than the low Q4 target (which is 2500, right?) ...

I will post pictures as soon as I can ...

Moderators: I did not know where to post this ... please feel free to move it to the appropriate sections if needed ...

Sly

Last edited by a moderator:
once, he said that it would be better than the low Q4 target (which is 2500, right?) ...

I believe that is the low end number. Great news, I guess asking over and over does work! :)

What was your impression of the Model X in person? It's not getting much love on the forums, at least compared to the raves for the Model S, but that's just looking at the photos; it's always different in person.

Second, I asked him about the Supercharger in the Toronto - Montreal corridor and he said that it would be WORKING this YEAR (probably 3rd or 4th quarter) !!! Wow ... it's getting near.

This is great news! Hoping the Supercharger build out goes quicker than expected. Maybe TM can connect CA to Vancouver, BC in Q1?:biggrin:

I believe that is the low end number. Great news, I guess asking over and over does work! :)

What was your impression of the Model X in person? It's not getting much love on the forums, at least compared to the raves for the Model S, but that's just looking at the photos; it's always different in person.

I have seen the X in person and now. Believe me in person it looks better. IMO. I think it was colour related. From what was said I very well may go for an X instead of the S.

He responded that it IS ready (both Android AND IOS) and that Apple has already accepted the app. The only thing missing is a Model S firmware update which will begin by the end of January at LATEST !!

Great news. I'm curious about the requirement for a firmware update though because we know that the beta testers of the app have been running the current version. Any ideas as to why the official app would now require an update to the Model S software?

I find the Model X very beautiful ! I think that a SUV cannot get better than that! The Model S is more impressive, but it's because its a Sedan ...

Also being able to stand up in the car while the Falcon door are open is unique !!

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like slyastro scoop the automotive press with his questions. Great job and for sharing. Two thumbs up.

Thanks !!

By the way, George is VERY a very passionate person, definitely a great communicator ... a great salesman. Also, he's very friendly ...

Elon's got the best number 2 he could find ... :)

Great news. I'm curious about the requirement for a firmware update though because we know that the beta testers of the app have been running the current version. Any ideas as to why the official app would now require an update to the Model S software?
Some folks have noted an occasional loss of 3G connectivity with current versions of code. My guess is they want to improve reliability before rolling out the app. They don't want reports that the app "didn't work" because the car had lost it's 3G connectivity.

There may be some extra functionality as well but the above is my guess.