TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Q&A with G. Blankenship : Mobile app + Superchargers in Canada + Q4 Sales

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by slyastro, Jan 15, 2013.

1. slyastro

slyastro Member

#1 slyastro, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2013
    I had the chance to be present at the Tesla Press Conference today at the NAIAS Tesla stand. I had a talk with George and listened to the Q&R from other Media Rep.

First, I asked him if the Model S iPhone app will be ready soon. He responded that it IS ready (both Android AND IOS) and that Apple has already accepted the app. The only thing missing is a Model S firmware update which will begin by the end of January at LATEST !! George wanted to SHOW me the app, but unfortunately his assistant (a blond lady) refused that he do ...

Second, I asked him about the Supercharger in the Toronto - Montreal corridor and he said that it would be WORKING this YEAR (probably 3rd or 4th quarter) !!! Wow ... it's getting near.

Also, a lot of reporters kept asking him the Q4 sales number and he answered most of the time that he was not authorized to answer that question. But once, he said that it would be better than the low Q4 target (which is 2500, right?) ...

I will post pictures as soon as I can ...

Moderators: I did not know where to post this ... please feel free to move it to the appropriate sections if needed ...

Sly

2. Zzzz...

Zzzz... Member

Nice!

3. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Thanks for sharing...

4. Renderdog

Renderdog Member

I believe that is the low end number. Great news, I guess asking over and over does work! :)

What was your impression of the Model X in person? It's not getting much love on the forums, at least compared to the raves for the Model S, but that's just looking at the photos; it's always different in person.

5. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

This is great news! Hoping the Supercharger build out goes quicker than expected. Maybe TM can connect CA to Vancouver, BC in Q1?:biggrin:

6. herbvdh

herbvdh Member

I have seen the X in person and now. Believe me in person it looks better. IMO. I think it was colour related. From what was said I very well may go for an X instead of the S.

7. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

It looks like slyastro scoop the automotive press with his questions. Great job and for sharing. Two thumbs up.

8. znino

znino Member

Amazing. I can't wait for this app! Great job Sylastro...

9. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Great news. I'm curious about the requirement for a firmware update though because we know that the beta testers of the app have been running the current version. Any ideas as to why the official app would now require an update to the Model S software?

10. patp

patp Member

Thanks for the info! You're always getting the scoops... ;)

11. blakegallagher

Wow ... figured as much but that is great out of Georges mouth :)

12. slyastro

slyastro Member

I find the Model X very beautiful ! I think that a SUV cannot get better than that! The Model S is more impressive, but it's because its a Sedan ...

Also being able to stand up in the car while the Falcon door are open is unique !!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks !!

By the way, George is VERY a very passionate person, definitely a great communicator ... a great salesman. Also, he's very friendly ...

Elon's got the best number 2 he could find ... :)

13. strider

strider Active Member

Some folks have noted an occasional loss of 3G connectivity with current versions of code. My guess is they want to improve reliability before rolling out the app. They don't want reports that the app "didn't work" because the car had lost it's 3G connectivity.

There may be some extra functionality as well but the above is my guess.

14. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

^^^ What he said. Also the beta testers were testing a beta version so it's fair to assume some changes/developments/improvements over what was being tested; those changes may necessitate a firmware update.

15. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

...and perhaps the beta-testers had some beta firmware installed in their cars?

16. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards SUN PWR

Did George indicate that the app will talk to the Roadsters? The rumor was that 2.0 Roadsters and more current would be included. I'm hoping they will!

17. slyastro

slyastro Member

No idea ... he didn't specify that and I did not ask that question. Sorry.

18. slyastro

slyastro Member

Ok ... as you probably all know, the Android app is now available ... so George was exact! The IOS app is not there, but I'm pretty sure it's a question of days ...

As promessed, here is the pictures that I took during NAIAS (pictures are at the end of the article) :

Tesla au Salon de lAuto de Detroit 2013 | Roulez Electrique

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

20. kenliles

kenliles Active Member