Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had issues where the system saw the speed limit, displayed it on the screen, but Autodrive ignored it. Then again, I've done about 4 software updates in the last week so I'm losing track a bit. Went to 2022.28.2 last night and haven't taken it out today
From what I’ve found/understand TACC/AP does ignore speed changes. When using TACC/AP if you hold the right stalk down for about 1 second it will change to the limit displayed in the car. Not sure if EAP or FSD handle it differently.

The negatives you mention I haven’t found to be a problem. I have an iPhone 13 mini and even with a fairly substantial case it will charge wirelessly, although I sometimes have to slide it around a bit to make a connection.
I was expecting issues with the auto wipers, full beam and speed limit recognition, but so far they have worked great.
Are you on the latest software?

Good for you. I am on the latest software (2022.28.1 I believe). Sometimes it doesnt read the motorway variable speed limit. And many more false readings

Regarding iphone mini, it charges upto 3% in 2hrs which is ridiculous. I have to book a service for this.

522D1349-ED30-47FF-BEFC-423964E1E158.jpeg
Picking up my M3LR in MSM next week. Got my fingers crossed there are no issues. My main worry is swirling on the paint from how they have prepared the car - or are they better at it now?

Anyone got any pictures of what to look for on this?
Don’t believe half the stuff you read on this forum, this is my third quarter of following these threads and what I’ve come to realise is there are “real” people who post pics of their cars and who are predominantly happy and then there are the “others” who are either plants, trolls, Tesla/EV haters who are simply stirring it all up. All those who have had minor issues seem to report super helpful staff who sort them out promptly. Sure some are a little worse, who has ever had a perfect car from every other manufacturer? I certainly haven’t in 20+ years.

It seems to work; however, as there is a continuous thread of fear of wrecked cars because as we know it makes perfect business sense to try and shift a damaged car to a member of the public who is going to be so gullible to accept anything… oh wait we’re not that stupid.

BTW, I’m not a fanboy or Tesla employee, just a realist and my experience of my MSM collection was faultless, see the pic. Oh, and it’s not a deep fake photoshopped image, it’s the real thing from back in March (see sig).

Seriously, as I’ve said several times before, don’t stress, don’t bother with those stupid checklists and go enjoy the experience. Throwing dollies out of a pram due to a swirl mark or a hair on the drivers seat or a scuff on the door sill is tiresome. And to back it up, try and find a thread where all those reported swirl marks have resulted in a respray? Can’t say I’ve found one yet in the past 9 months!

Good luck and enjoy it👍

After collecting it dirty, which was fine because they couldn’t guarantee they wouldn’t damage it when cleaning (although this shouldn't be the norm on a £60k car). I’ve completed a full machine cut and polish, to remove the oily fallout spots and hollograms. The result? Well, I can confirm that Tesla paint is at least as good as the BMW I had before. The results are stunning, other than 2 tiny drips (you really need to know what your looking for to find them), the quality of the paint is overall excellent. General fit and alignment inside and out is also excellent. It’s cleaned up beautifully.
View attachment 855050
First impressions after a few days and detailed inspection:
Positives 👍
- It’s big inside compared to cars with similar exterior dimensions. Storage/packaging is great.
- Phone charger! Simple but effective.
- Great audio system.
- Aircon and passenger comfort systems work well.
- I’m sold on the interior minimal approach, wasn’t sure at first, but it’s the future 😂
- It’s a great drive using one pedal and very quiet.
- Suspension is better than my X3 M, smoother and still sporting.
- Everything works as it should.
- Range looks to be in the 250-280miles per 100%.
- Voice command appears to be much better than others.
- Web browser.
- Supercharging is a seamless and fast experience.

Negatives/ must have for a car at this price 👎
- Auto wipers and High Beam are patchy. These are basics and is sort of inexcusable.
- Matrix headlights that aren’t fully implemented. I’m wondering if this, the wipers and headlights are all because they use the same cameras as the safety features and interfered.

More observation than negatives (wish list). Every manufacturer has their own querks.
- The turning circle is poor. Although I believe this is common to many EVs, not sure why?
- in terms of tec presented to the driver, its probably behind the competition in many areas and has been for some time. E.g. Google Nav is good but basic i.e. only just starting to offer alternative routes; no information provided on traffic incidents, traffic flow difficult to see (again just fixed), poor zooming, arrow too big obscuring road detail. Sat maps require premium.
- no information provided from radio (rds).
- Unable to re-order favourites on radio channel.
- Unable to save radio presets etc. to profile.
- autopilot and lane keeping is good but are little improved over the version I had on a Honda CRV 10 years ago.
After a full week of ownership I agree with most of your comments and would also add that phone integration is particularly poor. Navigation is not great so I’ve bought a phone mount so I can use Waze or Apple Maps on my phone instead of Tesla / Google mapping. Whilst I like driving the car, it makes me realise just how well integrated the tech was on my Audi. It just worked seamlessly.

From what I’ve found/understand TACC/AP does ignore speed changes. When using TACC/AP if you hold the right stalk down for about 1 second it will change to the limit displayed in the car. Not sure if EAP or FSD handle it differently.
Yes, this is how mine works.
It is very good at reading speed limit signs though, which is something so thought people were complaining about a few months ago.

After a full week of ownership I agree with most of your comments and would also add that phone integration is particularly poor. Navigation is not great so I’ve bought a phone mount so I can use Waze or Apple Maps on my phone instead of Tesla / Google mapping. Whilst I like driving the car, it makes me realise just how well integrated the tech was on my Audi. It just worked seamlessly.
I’d echo all that (coming from BMW and Land Rover). It’s quite a step back in time in that respect. I might also get a phone mount, which will be the first time I’ve ever done that.

Reactions: MB11
Yes, this is how mine works.
It is very good at reading speed limit signs though, which is something so thought people were complaining about a few months ago.
Mine isn’t. It reads my local 20 roads as 60mph. The limits go 40/30/20. The Tesla reads 40/30/60. So it’s identifying a speed limit change but completely incorrectly. Would be horrific on autopilot with speed limit following.

My 2016 BMW also did this, my 2019/20 Land Rovers read them correctly. Suspect both Tesla and (the old) BMW do not have the right camera placement or perhaps technology to read all signs and then fall back on an incorrect database or piece of logic.

What I noticed on my drive home was that it doesn't follow the differences between a speed limit sign and a warning speed sign. For example, plenty of truck 50mph signs up here - car sets the speed limit to 50. Or coming into a 30 with 300/200/100 yard countdown markers? Sees the first one and changes the speed limit to 30.

My only problem with this is on autopilot it won't set a speed higher than the speed limit. So when it under-reads the limit, that's auto-steer effectively disabled.

I guess people have different experiences. Mine has been amazing. I have done 1000 miles in the last week of ownership. Phone integration works perfectly (iPhone 13 pro), wireless charge pads have been top quality. Zero issues with the car on delivery. AP reading everything correctly.

My only complain (which operates fine) is the sensitivity of the auto wipers.

View attachment 855534
Had the Y a few weeks. It's need of a wash! Just installed some black wheel covers from Tessories which I believe is a great aesthetic upgrade and relatively inexpensive. Love the car so far. Starting to get used to all of the systems and charging (my first EV).
Looks amazing!! - My White MY LR with Gemini;s is arriving next Tuesday. I have the Tessories black wheel covers sitting in the garage waiting to go on.

View attachment 855534
Had the Y a few weeks. It's in need of a wash! Just installed some black wheel covers from Tessories which I believe is a great aesthetic upgrade and relatively inexpensive. Love the car so far. Starting to get used to all of the systems and charging (my first EV).
Nice wheels. The problem with the cars being nearly identical and with all the accessories you can buy we can even go as far as sticking a dual motor badge on the back and everyone will think your driving the LR model.

Don’t believe half the stuff you read on this forum, this is my third quarter of following these threads and what I’ve come to realise is there are “real” people who post pics of their cars and who are predominantly happy and then there are the “others” who are either plants, trolls, Tesla/EV haters who are simply stirring it all up. All those who have had minor issues seem to report super helpful staff who sort them out promptly. Sure some are a little worse, who has ever had a perfect car from every other manufacturer? I certainly haven’t in 20+ years.

It seems to work; however, as there is a continuous thread of fear of wrecked cars because as we know it makes perfect business sense to try and shift a damaged car to a member of the public who is going to be so gullible to accept anything… oh wait we’re not that stupid.

BTW, I’m not a fanboy or Tesla employee, just a realist and my experience of my MSM collection was faultless, see the pic. Oh, and it’s not a deep fake photoshopped image, it’s the real thing from back in March (see sig).

Seriously, as I’ve said several times before, don’t stress, don’t bother with those stupid checklists and go enjoy the experience. Throwing dollies out of a pram due to a swirl mark or a hair on the drivers seat or a scuff on the door sill is tiresome. And to back it up, try and find a thread where all those reported swirl marks have resulted in a respray? Can’t say I’ve found one yet in the past 9 months!

Good luck and enjoy it👍
Nothing wrong with using a checklist when buying something that cost more than my first house and forums are here to discuss issues.
Would be pretty pointless if we all just showed up every day to tell each other how great the car is. If you want an echo chamber I'm sure there is a Facebook group for that somewhere.
Maybe I am naïve but I have seen very very few posts on here that seemed deliberately trollish. Maybe some from people who did not do enough research before dropping 50-60K on a car and had unrealistic expectations ( "why am I not getting the 360miles range that it says on the website" aaaaaahhhhh) or some overly negative ones ( have you met British people). But I like to think this forum is a broad church and can cope with all that.