Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think its soft close and we can always tell a good quality car by the way the doors close. I shall report if its not up to BMW standards.
You’re right. The lightweight door close on the X7 was one of the factors that drove me to the higher quality Discovery, which was like a bank vault in comparison.

The frameless doors on the Model Y are nowhere near Land Rover standards, but they do appear to be approximately on a par with the frameless doors on my old BMW.

I had mine delivered last Thursday, I've done 1000 miles so far and it's been pretty flawless. There were no obvious issues with the car, delivery was just about on time, the car whole process was pretty straight forward really.

Today, Alaska has had her first wash and wax, 3 hours to do it properly but it was worth it.

20220923_120502.jpg

Took delivery of my white Model Y today in Bristol.

The old portacabin has gone and been replaced by a large white fabric 'shed' as you would see at temporary festivals. 3 reception desks, all staffed, though only three customers, so 1:1 support 🙂

There were about 50 Model Y awaiting customers, no Model 3 at all that I could see. I was told that delivery volumes were much higher than 6 months ago and they'd been told they would increases again in Q4.

Very helpful lady walked us to the car and did an inspection with us. There were no faults, everything was there that should be and fit and finish were spot on. Tyres set a 42psi.

Installed rubber mats and SWMBO drove it home. She reported she thought the ride was improved, will test that further tomorrow.

Tesla have been round to sort the issues on mine, the headlight is now flush, the passenger camera pillar has been replaced (it was getting a build-up of condensation between the camera and the glass so reporting it wasn't working) and they are coming back to do the PPF. He got the bubble out but the bottom corner is peeling away a bit so he's booking us another visit.

Such as shame that I now need to go for a nice drive to recalibrate the cameras 😁

So today, on day 3, I decided to take it out of Chill Mode and into Standard for a moment, for the first time, as I had a clear stretch (had just turned into the road and was not quite a standing start, but I was doing maybe 15mph when I floored it. Holy crap… I was expecting it to be more rapid, but it was surprising! It went back into Chill mode but I will definitely be looking to try it more once fully comfortable with the car.

Haha. Yeah I have come from a 2012 C-Max, and have had the kids with me on the test drive in May and on most of the drives so far this week, so it’s been an amazing drive already even in just Chill mode.

Funnily enough, the battery has been going down a bit more rapidly than we’d have expected; then again, air con has been on pretty much throughout along with sentry. Will try and give them both a break in the next couple of days and compare.

So today, on day 3, I decided to take it out of Chill Mode and into Standard for a moment, for the first time, as I had a clear stretch (had just turned into the road and was not quite a standing start, but I was doing maybe 15mph when I floored it. Holy crap… I was expecting it to be more rapid, but it was surprising! It went back into Chill mode but I will definitely be looking to try it more once fully comfortable with the car.
Haha, my wife reckons she’ll last the 45 minute drive home in Standard before buying AB😂😂

Picked up Bluey (Blue Y: the kids are obsessed with the cartoon) from Newcastle yesterday

Very smooth and pleasant handover. The only thing I’d change is the location of the showroom:£25 taxi ride from the station!

Arrived early to find a transporter blocking access as it worked out where to deliver another load of Teslas toB95151AF-FE54-4332-BE8E-92357083F225.jpeg
The staff were happy to help me even though I was early. Handed the keys and left alone to inspect the car. No major issues. Both rear lights showed some condensation on the inside: told this was due to being jetwashed and was fine. I’ll be keeping a close eye on it
1F69413B-FDB7-47F9-9CD8-B09828EFA19B.jpeg
Spent about 30 mins inspecting all over. 2 other new owners arrived whilst I was doing that and had a good look at their cars too

414865A4-748D-421A-8CEC-ED8EC8B25921.jpeg

Pleasant first drive back down to Harrogate. Slight confusion at a very busy Scotch Corner supercharger over which cable to use but soon worked it out. Still getting to grips with autopilot which had calibrated by the time I reached the motorway. The subtle nudge required to change lanes is very subtle and I was disengaging autopilot more than I’d like

Acceleration as strong as I remembered. Not sure I’ll need AB but I’m sure I’ll get used to the current performance quickly

Car is now setup with our phone keys, profiles etc and some aftermarket grills etc fitted to protect the radiators and stop the kids dropping stuff into the HVAC system in the rear. Likely to get some tablet mounts and other bits soon

Picked up Bluey (Blue Y: the kids are obsessed with the cartoon) from Newcastle yesterday

Very smooth and pleasant handover. The only thing I’d change is the location of the showroom:£25 taxi ride from the station!

Arrived early to find a transporter blocking access as it worked out where to deliver another load of Teslas toView attachment 856337
The staff were happy to help me even though I was early. Handed the keys and left alone to inspect the car. No major issues. Both rear lights showed some condensation on the inside: told this was due to being jetwashed and was fine. I’ll be keeping a close eye on it
View attachment 856339
Spent about 30 mins inspecting all over. 2 other new owners arrived whilst I was doing that and had a good look at their cars too

View attachment 856338

Pleasant first drive back down to Harrogate. Slight confusion at a very busy Scotch Corner supercharger over which cable to use but soon worked it out. Still getting to grips with autopilot which had calibrated by the time I reached the motorway. The subtle nudge required to change lanes is very subtle and I was disengaging autopilot more than I’d like

Acceleration as strong as I remembered. Not sure I’ll need AB but I’m sure I’ll get used to the current performance quickly

Car is now setup with our phone keys, profiles etc and some aftermarket grills etc fitted to protect the radiators and stop the kids dropping stuff into the HVAC system in the rear. Likely to get some tablet mounts and other bits soon
I ended up walking from the station as I was massively early. Saved me some money 😁.

Mine also had condensation in rear lights as did others on the forecourt. Cleared up quickly.

I ended up walking from the station as I was massively early. Saved me some money 😁.

Mine also had condensation in rear lights as did others on the forecourt. Cleared up quickly.
I had expected to have time to walk but Northern rail simply can’t run a railway so my train was late into York and I missed my expected LNER train. So when I reached Newcastle I had the choice of walk and be late or taxi and be early. Taxi = more time to check the car

Still getting to grips with autopilot which had calibrated by the time I reached the motorway. The subtle nudge required to change lanes is very subtle and I was disengaging autopilot more than I’d like

Wasn't sure what that means? Assuming you haven't paid extra for EAP or FSD, then you have regular AP which keeps you in the lane and slows and accelerates with the traffic. If you try to force it to steer into another lane while AP is on it will fight you at first then switch off both lane keeping and cruise and hand control to you. If instead you indicate before steering into another lane it will switch off lane keeping but retain cruise. Once in the new lane you have to double dip the stalk to re-engage lane keeping.

Wasn't sure what that means? Assuming you haven't paid extra for EAP or FSD, then you have regular AP which keeps you in the lane and slows and accelerates with the traffic. If you try to force it to steer into another lane while AP is on it will fight you at first then switch off both lane keeping and cruise and hand control to you. If instead you indicate before steering into another lane it will switch off lane keeping but retain cruise. Once in the new lane you have to double dip the stalk to re-engage lane keeping.
I have EAP. When I indicate to change lane the new lane is highlighted in blue with a dotted line of where the car will go. A very slight pressure in that direction and the car does the lane change. Slightly too much pressure and autopilot disengages as I’ve made a steering input

Reactions: kcrane
I have basic AP with my MY and trying to use it pretty much all the time as much as it is safe and possible to do so. I noticed it is unpredictable especially in the city and on A/B roads to a degree that it almost suddenly slows down when there are pedestrians on the pavements or detects an on coming vehicle on a bend. I am very excited and keen about the whole idea and love experimenting with it. I may upgrade to EAP at some stage or even to FSD when it is almost there.

I wonder if some of the phantom breaking etc whether improves with the EAP/FSD or in other words whether the autopilot performs better as a baseline if you have further AP upgrades (not only the additional functionality)?

Looking at some of the videos on YouTube and how the FSD performs - the basic AP seems to be far far behind for the similar/comparable basic functions.