Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, if a performance badge has a red underline, then it is not. šŸ˜‰

Maybe it should be used to indicate Acceleration Boost?!

I have a similar badge ready to put on, as Iā€™m intending to also de-chrome the T logos.

I may just run without the dual motor - hope people ā€˜in the knowā€™ donā€™t think itā€™s a standard rangeā€¦ šŸ™„
Not a performance badge - just a black replacement.

Reactions: EV-Head
I just tried out the 2 second hold on a quick trip. I like it. Way better than reaching over and tapping the speed icon on the screen.

Mrs T hasnā€™t realised yet she could tap the screen from the passenger seat to slow me down when needed!
At this point itā€™s probably easier to scroll down on the right button on the steering wheel. A fast swipe seems to do 5mph increments, so quite easy to drop 10mph etc

Reactions: Andy H
How are Q3ers finding their cars re. efficiency? I've got up close to 400 miles in 2 weeks and my maths says I'm getting approx 2.6miles per kWh

Lots of local stop/start miles in there and some very unnecessary trips to the shops for very little with too much right foot..... but still. I might have to recalculate the energy budget. I had planned for something starting with a 3 :D

@1500 Miles I think I'm @2.4 Miles šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø šŸ˜‚ but most importantly I'm enjoying it and it's still cheaper than petrol when you suffer from the terrible affliction of heavy foot šŸ˜‡šŸ˜‚

1800 miles since 13 Sep, 3.4 miles per KW hour here. Lots of motorway driving in there. Itā€™s cost me under Ā£40 in electric! Nuts!

Reactions: SteelmanMFC
Does anyone else think theyā€™ve made some changes to the side bolsters in the seat?

Feels like theyā€™re really digging into my sides which Iā€™ve never had on my 3, although I do have my Y set up so that I sit a lot more upright than I do in the 3 which might be the cause of my discomfort?

Tried the towbar out today after bringing our caravan home only up and down the driveway just to see. The electrics work fine all lights working etc, getting the panel on and off to fit the towbar is a bit of a faff (bike tyre leavers help) but overall happy with the tow set up.
It automatically goes into tow mode when you plug the caravan in however you have to manually take it out of tow mode afterwards.

Attachments

• A5D1BA12-7DB7-46B2-9E3D-BCC2DAFE213B.jpeg
    A5D1BA12-7DB7-46B2-9E3D-BCC2DAFE213B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
Oh! Don't we love a cleaning product or ten for our Q2/Q3 babes.
Don't forget Spotless Water or similar and a K4 Karcher or similar that will draw water from a container. I use 25 litre plastic jerrycans. I bought 80 litres at their Mitchum tank today. They have whacked the price up to 3.2p/litre šŸ˜€

I am eyed with suspicion by strangers in the road who, although they can't see a hosepipe ( we are in ban territory), seem sure that I am up to some ban- breaking trickery.

When the ban is over, I will probably reserve the Spotless for the final rinse.

Now then .... SWIMBO says " You said you would build an extension to house Lizzie's cleaning products when we returned from France.... well guess what!"
Problem with a K4 is that it drains the container rather fast. When i used to wash in the winter I used a K2 with a 20 litre bucket of 40 degree water. I could almost do the whole car with one bucket. I know a k2 is not supposed to be able to work from a bucket but it will if you prime it with a hose

Problem with a K4 is that it drains the container rather fast. When i used to wash in the winter I used a K2 with a 20 litre bucket of 40 degree water. I could almost do the whole car with one bucket. I know a k2 is not supposed to be able to work from a bucket but it will if you prime it with a hose
Quite right; it does drain the containers fast. I had put this down to myself for spraying longer than perhaps is really necessary. I now see that K4's throughput rate is part of problem, although, I had thought that one of the benefits of trading up from my, (officially) non suction K2 was, as I understood, the water economy of the latest Ks.

However, in addition to suction, the K4's facility for connecting an aftermarket outlet hose and gun thereby dispensing with the K4 lance and that irritating outlet hose, which seems not to have improved over time, is a great benefit and sufficient justification for upgrading (IMHO). However, the K4 needs some priming. I suck up water from the plastic jerrycan to fill the hose before connecting it to the K4.

Lizzie had her first wash in almost three weeks today (we did not take the Karcher on holiday:rolleyes:) and so what with snow foam, rinse, wash and final rinse, the plastic jerries emptied fast. Perhaps, when the hose ban is relaxed, I will save the Spotless water for the final rinse as was my method in the past.

P.S. If regen' braking was not already a joy inspiring superb driving aid, it also gives us break pad dust free wheels which is quite something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toblerone
If you like spotless water then invest in one of these. Iā€™ve used one for a couple of years and they are brilliant.

Then if you want to go the whole hog, try this afterwards.

Makes washing and finishing off the car a breeze.

Tried the towbar out today after bringing our caravan home only up and down the driveway just to see. The electrics work fine all lights working etc, getting the panel on and off to fit the towbar is a bit of a faff (bike tyre leavers help) but overall happy with the tow set up.
It automatically goes into tow mode when you plug the caravan in however you have to manually take it out of tow mode afterwards.
Have had the tow hook on and off a few times too and find it quick and easy. The panel is a bit of a faff but quick enough and leave a long shank narrow screw-driver wrapped in tape in the kit. Panel seems designed to come off from the right. Not sure how long it will last!
Switches off trailer-mode automatically. Got a small 13 pin to 7 pin adapter for very little and it locks in easily.
Boot also opens with the bike rack on the tow bar which last car didnā€™t do so that makes life easier.
Overall, really pleased with it.

Reactions: Sparky750 and t0ne
If you like spotless water then invest in one of these. Iā€™ve used one for a couple of years and they are brilliant.

I have that very blower bought from that very ultimate supplier but I never really got on with it.
I enjoy pulling my large very absorbent drying towel across her paint work. The process seems to nicely take off and/or spread any waxy excess from the Gtechniq wash and leave her gleaming.

But thank you, I will look into the water filter option. I am currently paying less than 4p/litre for 80 litres of Spotless.

Last edited:
Iā€™m aching to give mine the new-car prep too! I just have to wait for the window to be fixed then itā€™s going in at the earlier possible moment. I canā€™t clean it at all with the window like that so Iā€™m living with a grubby blue too.

I know these cars are becoming more ubiquitous but just canā€™t help but pinch myself at being lucky enough to have one of these special cars. Just a joy to drive and own. Happy weekend Q3ā€™rs!
Mine went to the detailers this week for a Gtechniq ceramic coat, looks lovely now. Also this happened :D
1665326670604.png

but I had a trip to Stockport to see family yesterday and managed to kerb 2 rims in a car park :eek: why do they make them so narrow and twisty

Attachments

• tesla_detailers.jpg
    tesla_detailers.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 49
Mine went to the detailers this week for a Gtechniq ceramic coat, looks lovely now. Also this happened :DView attachment 861715
but I had a trip to Stockport to see family yesterday and managed to kerb 2 rims in a car park :eek: why do they make them so narrow and twisty
Commiserations.
Agreed; nightmares as are the granite pavement kerbs around here. Some sections are slightly collapsed with their edge protruding further than their neighbours. The revering camera does not seem to notice the uneven edges. It would be nice to have a kerb side warning to allow wheel-safe parking thereby keeping the car within the white parking delineation lines without clouting the granite. The navigable width of our road is quite narrow when reduced by cars/trucks and vans parked on each side.

I have already acquired a couple of minor near side scrapes - I now say "so be it! " An attitude I was taught during my wheel rash emotional breakdown rehabilitation therapy.

However, I still can't quite handle hearing the expression "It's only a car".

Last edited:
Reactions: t0ne
Commiserations.
Agreed; nightmares as are the granite pavement kerbs around here. Some sections are slightly collapsed with their edge protruding further than their neighbours. The revering camera does not seem to notice the uneven edges. It would be nice to have a kerb side warning to allow wheel-safe parking thereby keeping the car within the white parking delineation lines without clouting the granite. The navigable width of our road is quite narrow when reduced by cars/trucks and vans parked on each side.

I have already acquired a couple of minor near side scrapes - I now say "so be it! " An attitude I was taught during my wheel rash emotional breakdown rehabilitation therapy.

However, I still can't quite handle hearing the expression "It's only a car".
I kept the wheels of my Q5 pristine over four years, but had a near miss with the MY as Iā€™ve found it quite difficult to accurately judge where the near side wheels are. Remembering an old driving instructors trick, I positioned the car in my drive with the nearside wheel adjacent to a border then placed a small thin piece of black insulation tape at the bottom of the windscreen so that when Iā€™m sitting in the drivers seat the tape appears level with the position of the nearside wheels. Since then, no problem.

So "spotless water" then?.........Is that what I know as DI (de-ironised) or DM (de-mineralised) water? šŸ¤“ If so, I`ve successfully been using my, sorry, `DI Water`, hospital quality filter plant, that I made about 3 years ago with superb results! I can honestly say that I have not used any `car-wash` detergents, foams, drying-aids or ANY polishes etc in that time. Just, when VERY mucky, spray over with a mild TFR, jet off with a good pressure washer than simply rinse over the whole car, at mains pressure, with my DI water hose/spray. Dont really need to towel it off as it dries spot-free on it own, but, there`s something about pulling a clean/dry towel-sheet over this curvy car, very satisfying! šŸ¤Ø Couple of snaps of my plant/install for reference (all fed directly from the mains water and so `on-tap` and `on-demand`)

Attachments

• Mains direct DI (De-Ionised) water production install.JPG
    Mains direct DI (De-Ionised) water production install.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 50
  • Mains pressure washer and filter DI water rinse install.JPG
    Mains pressure washer and filter DI water rinse install.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 53
So "spotless water" then?.........Is that what I know as DI (de-ironised) or DM (de-mineralised) water? šŸ¤“ If so, I`ve successfully been using my, sorry, `DI Water`, hospital quality filter plant, that I made about 3 years ago with superb results! I can honestly say that I have not used any `car-wash` detergents, foams, drying-aids or ANY polishes etc in that time. Just, when VERY mucky, spray over with a mild TFR, jet off with a good pressure washer than simply rinse over the whole car, at mains pressure, with my DI water hose/spray. Dont really need to towel it off as it dries spot-free on it own, but, there`s something about pulling a clean/dry towel-sheet over this curvy car, very satisfying! šŸ¤Ø Couple of snaps of my plant/install for reference (all fed directly from the mains water and so `on-tap` and `on-demand`)
That is way more sophisticated than a hosepipe into the filter and another out the other side which is what I use, top work thoughšŸ‘šŸ‘. I did like drying however it is still possible to get grit in the towel which is then dragged across the paintwork, but as you say, neither is really needed as even when it does dry is downs leave spots.

I kept the wheels of my Q5 pristine over four years, but had a near miss with the MY as Iā€™ve found it quite difficult to accurately judge where the near side wheels are. Remembering an old driving instructors trick, I positioned the car in my drive with the nearside wheel adjacent to a border then placed a small thin piece of black insulation tape at the bottom of the windscreen so that when Iā€™m sitting in the drivers seat the tape appears level with the position of the nearside wheels. Since then, no problem.
I had a (Seat) Cupra Ateca for best part of 3 year prior to the Tesla, never kerbed it once. I'd been really careful so far and thought I was careful in the car park until I heard the grind ... I'm not quite understanding the set up with the tape, is the border you mention perpendicular or parallel to the side of the car?