Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q4 collections, tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also got mine today but all I’ve been doing is driving everywhere.

Already done 150 miles. Will share my experience and photos sometime tomorrow.

Still absolutely stunned this is my car, I’ve never owned a brand new car before and had the same car since 2011. So this is absolutely wild for me
Please share collection experience & location

Collected Thursday 24th November from NEC Birmingham:

40 to 50 mile drive from Derby to Birmingham to collect my long awaited M3, a 10:30am collection was booked, allowed time to get there 30 mins prior. I don’t have clue what was going on at the NEC, as queues on surrounding roads/into NEC were horrendous, so allowing extra time was a good move; arrived at 10:30 on the dot!

Collection a breeze, car was on the official app within seconds, heard stories of lease cars taking hours, so 5 minutes after entering the collection point and I was stood in front of ‘BIG MO’, did the obligatory check of paintwork/panel gaps/interior etc… and to my untrained eye she was spot on!

First job, get everything set up for hitting the road, every setting was set to my liking, good job I had spent the last, what seems like, 100 years reading this forum! Installed what accessories I had taken with me, console trays and boot bag hook ready for the drive back to work. Before setting off, decided on a quick toilet break, walked away and smiled as I heard the ‘beep’ of the horn as she locked. Upon return I opened the door and climbed in, but was a little unsure why my seat, which I had perfectly set, had decided to see how close it could get to the steering wheel! A few tweaks of the seat settings and I was sat behind the wheel, but after a few seconds of wondering who had stole my stuff I had put on the front seat, I realised that I was in fact inside someone else’s identical M3 in MSM which was parked next to mine! Don’t think anyone noticed :)

Left the NEC with a 45% SoC, sat-nav advised I would arrive at work with 18%. Apart from the occasional reach for the gear stick on the way home I took to driving ‘BIG MO’ like a duck to water, cameras soon calibrated and Autopilot (think that’s what it is called) was soon engaged, not a big fan of auto steer, seems to disengage too much to be worthwhile; could be just me!

No negatives so far, but a slight one to follow, back to my place of work arriving with the 18% thought I would get out the type 2 connector and juice her up. Got the 7m cable I was given out of the frunk, plugged it in and nothing, tried in all four charging points and each time I got a charging error, mentioning no power! A dash up the A38 to the East Mids Designer Outlet Superchargers, arriving with 6% to put in some much needed juice. First supercharger experience was spot on, how easy. And quite impressed with the price £0.36/kWh.

The next day (Friday) tried a colleagues cable and it confirmed that the cable that came with ‘BIG MO’ was faulty, phoned Nottingham Service Centre, and a quick dash over and they swapped. All sorted now have a blue 7m cable instead of black, but one that does the job.

First Saturday job was to swap over the carpet mats to the all weather ones I had purchased from Amazon, along with frunk, under trunk and trunk liners. Then, a road trip, approx 300 miles, an absolute pleasure to drive on and off all day, with two supercharge stops thrown in.

All in all I am over the moon, looking forward to what replaces USS, been a long wait but well worth it. Hope you didn’t get bored reading my novel, but anyone waiting to collect enjoy, anyone who has collected, you do not need to be told to enjoy!

Now just need help with one minor thing, I used to listen to podcasts on CarPlay, found the podcast on Spotify, BBC Radio 2’s daily ‘Popmaster Quiz’, but won’t play in Tesla’s Spotify, it is greyed out. All other podcasts seem to be ok….. any ideas?

9BAF6CF1-E73B-480D-84AF-8837FEA23D30.jpeg

View attachment 878061couldnt resist posting this one. I really must get on and do some work today!!!
Ok. A bit more detail on the delivery on Friday.
I was told to expect the car between 11 and 3. Got a call at around 0845 saying he would be there at 0930 which Mrs McChimp and I were very happy with (she even cancelled a work call that was scheduled for the same time!)
Car came on a small transporter with 2 other Ys (one white one red) delivery guy was very courteous and offered to explain some basics of the car which we declined.
We checked the car over and all looked spot on except it was a bit dirty but we expected that as it had come from Glasgow to Fife so it was never going to arrive spotless. There was a scuff on the alloy which appeared to be from where it was strapped to transporter as we could see a corresponding mark across tyre. It didn't seem to clean off so the delivery driver logged it and suggested we do the same in the app to be safe. Really not a massive deal and now the wheels are a bit dirty we can't see it. But we will get it fixed.

Car only had 3 miles on the clock and just under 50% charge. Took a quick drive up the M90 and the cameras calibrated within 5 minutes. No squeaks, rattles or anything like that at all.
Car didn't appear in app until around 7pm so around 9 hours after signing the forms.
Took a bit of faffing to get both our phone keys set up (eg. lock on walk away wasn't working even though it was toggled on in settings. But we finally got it working and it works well).
The car arrived in chill mode and we are happy to leave it there (although I put it in normal mode for a brief spin - and holy sh*t it's frighteningly fast. Good for a bit of fun but chill mode will do us for 90% of the time)
Fitted some vent covers which I got off Amazon and the clipped on easily enough and I'm happy now nothing can drop down there. Although I noticed on our old range rover the vents under the seats were also open.
Put a Spigen screen protector on (normally we wouldnt bother but we noticed when cleaning up the RR to sell, a couple of scratches on its touchscreen so we decided to put a protector on the Tesla.)

For those interested the tyres are Michelin pilots.

The car did an update straight away after we got it on WiFi and that all went well with no issues.

The car appears to now be called Bat Mobile as my daughter was messing around with it and discovered she could name it but I think we will need to change that!!!

Noticed some funny behaviour when playing the beach buggy game. It seems a bit buggy (hah, see what I did there!) And a couple of the times it was being played the actual wheels of the car were moving with the steering wheel and others they didn't. I assume they shouldn't so need to figure out what is going in there.

The emissions test in the toybox elicited mixed reactions: from utter horror and embarrassment from my teenage daughter to tears of laughter from my 50 year old brother in law who we had to wrestle out of the seat as he kept doing it outside the car when pedestrians were passing.

One word of caution. The boot lid comes down very quietly and fast. I was in car and Mrs McChimp was outside talking to a friend. I closed the boot from the touchscreen just as she walked towards to boot to show her friend something and it came down quite hard on her head. She hasn't quite fallen out with the car but it was a close run thing.

I'm wittering on now so will call a halt there but if anyone has any questions about anything will be happy to try and answer them.

edit: just a thought from me. It's a nicer looking car in the flesh than I realised. Except looking at it front on. I think it looks odd from that angle!

Last edited:
edit: just a thought from me. It's a nicer looking car in the flesh than I realised. Except looking at it front on. I think it looks odd from that angle!
I agree. The details are growing on me. I first thought it looked plain, aerodynamic and weird at the front. And by contrast with the predator front end and fake super car air intakes of my Lexus it does look very plain and rounded. But getting used to it as a design of its own it has already grown on me a lot. Even the cheeky frog face.

Mrs McChimp didn't like the look much at all. In fact she tried to veto the Tesla at first but was intrigued by trying out an EV. It was the test drive that convinced her (she's more of a car and speed freak than me) but now she says the looks have grown on her. I like the black sunroof against the white of the car. And thankfully I won't see it driving straight towards me too often so won't have to worry about the front end looks too much!!!

One other comment on the car. We knew it had a lot of storage space but we are blown away by how much. We have little cabin bag Wheely cases and we currently have tested with two in underfloor storage in boot and one fits in frunk (froot?) With the cables in the frunk as well. With space around the cases for smaller items. As well as the side bins in boot. Means our dogs can get the boot to themselves and we can still carry enough luggage for a week away for four of us. Really pleased with that!!

I'm also 6' and most cars are not great with leg room in back (the only one I ever remember being ok was a long wheel base Skoda Octavia years ago) but the Y I can stretch my legs right out even with the driver seat in a quite far back position. It's such a roomy car it's amazing.

Collected Thursday 24th November from NEC Birmingham:

40 to 50 mile drive from Derby to Birmingham to collect my long awaited M3, a 10:30am collection was booked, allowed time to get there 30 mins prior. I don’t have clue what was going on at the NEC, as queues on surrounding roads/into NEC were horrendous, so allowing extra time was a good move; arrived at 10:30 on the dot!

Collection a breeze, car was on the official app within seconds, heard stories of lease cars taking hours, so 5 minutes after entering the collection point and I was stood in front of ‘BIG MO’, did the obligatory check of paintwork/panel gaps/interior etc… and to my untrained eye she was spot on!

First job, get everything set up for hitting the road, every setting was set to my liking, good job I had spent the last, what seems like, 100 years reading this forum! Installed what accessories I had taken with me, console trays and boot bag hook ready for the drive back to work. Before setting off, decided on a quick toilet break, walked away and smiled as I heard the ‘beep’ of the horn as she locked. Upon return I opened the door and climbed in, but was a little unsure why my seat, which I had perfectly set, had decided to see how close it could get to the steering wheel! A few tweaks of the seat settings and I was sat behind the wheel, but after a few seconds of wondering who had stole my stuff I had put on the front seat, I realised that I was in fact inside someone else’s identical M3 in MSM which was parked next to mine! Don’t think anyone noticed :)

Left the NEC with a 45% SoC, sat-nav advised I would arrive at work with 18%. Apart from the occasional reach for the gear stick on the way home I took to driving ‘BIG MO’ like a duck to water, cameras soon calibrated and Autopilot (think that’s what it is called) was soon engaged, not a big fan of auto steer, seems to disengage too much to be worthwhile; could be just me!

No negatives so far, but a slight one to follow, back to my place of work arriving with the 18% thought I would get out the type 2 connector and juice her up. Got the 7m cable I was given out of the frunk, plugged it in and nothing, tried in all four charging points and each time I got a charging error, mentioning no power! A dash up the A38 to the East Mids Designer Outlet Superchargers, arriving with 6% to put in some much needed juice. First supercharger experience was spot on, how easy. And quite impressed with the price £0.36/kWh.

The next day (Friday) tried a colleagues cable and it confirmed that the cable that came with ‘BIG MO’ was faulty, phoned Nottingham Service Centre, and a quick dash over and they swapped. All sorted now have a blue 7m cable instead of black, but one that does the job.

First Saturday job was to swap over the carpet mats to the all weather ones I had purchased from Amazon, along with frunk, under trunk and trunk liners. Then, a road trip, approx 300 miles, an absolute pleasure to drive on and off all day, with two supercharge stops thrown in.

All in all I am over the moon, looking forward to what replaces USS, been a long wait but well worth it. Hope you didn’t get bored reading my novel, but anyone waiting to collect enjoy, anyone who has collected, you do not need to be told to enjoy!

Now just need help with one minor thing, I used to listen to podcasts on CarPlay, found the podcast on Spotify, BBC Radio 2’s daily ‘Popmaster Quiz’, but won’t play in Tesla’s Spotify, it is greyed out. All other podcasts seem to be ok….. any ideas?

View attachment 878697
Don’t suppose you have a pic of the mats you fitted. I want some but need to make sure they look and fit well before spending the cash

Fitted some vent covers which I got off Amazon and the clipped on easily enough and I'm happy now nothing can drop down there. Although I noticed on our old range rover the vents under the seats were also open.
Put a Spigen screen protector on (normally we wouldnt bother but we noticed when cleaning up the RR to sell, a couple of scratches on its touchscreen so we decided to put a protector on the Tesla.)
Do you have a link to both the vents and screen protector you ended up buying?
Thanks

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Do you have a link to both the vents and screen protector you ended up buying?
Thanks
Vents:
Vent Cover Air Flow Vent Grille... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09YGRSS5V?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

There may be nicer looking but they clipped on fine and can't see them under the seats.

Spigen EZ Fit Tempered Glass... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08HW16MZV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I went Spigen. Very easy to fit and hard to see edge. Very wasteful with the plastic frame unfortunately and not the cheapest. But I would recommend.

Reactions: nrushforth
Vents:
Vent Cover Air Flow Vent Grille... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09YGRSS5V?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

There may be nicer looking but they clipped on fine and can't see them under the seats.

Spigen EZ Fit Tempered Glass... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08HW16MZV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I went Spigen. Very easy to fit and hard to see edge. Very wasteful with the plastic frame unfortunately and not the cheapest. But I would recommend.
I recommended the Spigen protector having installed them on my previous Model 3’s.

my Q3 had light scratches on the passenger side. When I took it in to the SC they wanted to replace it. I asked if they could buff it out, they tried but but couldn’t. I declined the new screen offer and live with the scratches.

don’t notice them now.
I had a closer look at my scratches and found they were inside. As this seemed odd, I took my thumb to it and they came off ... no scratches after all, just dirt. Gave the whole windscreen an Autoglym treatment ... all good now.

Quick update on "non USS" driving for a few days. I don't find it an issue as I tend to reverse park anyway. Sure I'd like them back as added peace of mind feature, but I can make do without them for a few weeks until the update comes.

Compared to my previous M3LR it is definitely not as nippy but drives very well, plenty fast enough.

Also got mine today.

Still absolutely stunned this is my car, I’ve never owned a brand new car before and had the same car since 2011. So this is absolutely wild for me
So… here goes.

Like I’ve mentioned before - I’ve never owned a brand new car before. I was lucky to have an Audi A4 when I was 21 which was around 12 months old - 60 plate (but had 40k miles on it)

I got to Bluewater on Saturday around 9am - after seeing so many people almost get to the appointment a full 2 hours early and still drive away with their car shortly after, I’d thought I’ll try my luck. (I was only an hour early)

No issues - girls at the front desk were lovely and they could see my enthusiasm. Strangle - I was the only Blue car there… #TeamBlue20

Was handed over the keys after they checked my driving license, walked over to the car, it was filthy…
To be honest - I wasnt expecting it to be completely clean, as I’ve read numerous times from others it comes with a bit of dirt. But after consideration, £60k on a car and it doesn’t even come with a polish is a bit of a joke? Anyway.

Nothing wrong with the car, gaps, scratches, bubbles in PPF, mist in the headlights - nothing. Was quite impressed with this part to be fair, inside was the same as outside - filthy… Tesla couldn’t even run a rag round the dash to clear the dust? Like come on… but also like the outside, nothing wrong. No squeaks, gaps, imperfections. Was great.

Came with all the cables ✅
No USS ✅
Old cameras (sadly) ✅
Old seats ✅
Parcel shelf ✅

I don’t have a charger installed at home - so I went to the supercharger and charged from 51% to 95% (I know it’s not recommended, but I went to go get a McDonald’s breakfast…) total cost was £14.43 - not bad!

Drove home, calibrated the car. I’m very used to the car already as my brother in law bought the Model Y and collected back in June and I often drive it.
What I noticed from his one to mine was the ride - much much better in mine. Was a noticeable difference, to the point where my brother in law also noticed - not sure if that’s because he has 19” Gemini’s and mines on 20’s but there was a difference.

The Mrs’ is quite a cautious driver, she was scared to drive the car. But she was amazed at how light, nimble and easy it was to drive. Instantly she thought something so big was easy to handle (😉 - everyone’s thinking it)

Plenty of miles done already and I’m currently charging it using the 3 PIN UK plug. It’s doing about 8-10 miles an hour, which is fine as I’ll leave it for most of the night now.

Overall - super impressed with the car, I’m still in shock it’s mine. Was in a car park today and was trying to look for my old car only to realise that the shiny new Tesla is now mine - completely surreal.

Accessories:
-Samsung T7 SSD for quick load times of Sentry Mode events - really good would recommend.
-Rear boot liner. Got this as I have the little ones push chair and we often go for walks so muddy boots is a thing… 😅
-Seat protector (so the car seat doesn’t rip or scratch the seats)
-centre console tray organiser - would recommend. The centre console is huge and very deep
-Spigen screen protector - again would recommend, I got the Matte finish so it takes away screen glare at night.

Controversial topics:
USS - mine don’t have any. Im going to be completely honest here - it’s not looking good. It was dark, rainy and wet today. Sometimes relying totally on camera’s might not be the best thing as visibility wasn’t great at all. It was fine during the day, but not seeing how far objects are or having any sensors (in again a £60k car may I add) to tell you how far they are isn’t good. I really hope somehow they can come to a happy medium and we can get the distance measurements back or something which is better than the current system.

Autopilot:
Absolutely no issues - auto high beam was perfect, wipers were perfect.
I did around 30-40 miles on a motorway so I think I have a decent sample size. Heading to Heathrow at 4am in the morning on Tuesday - so will test again
I’m not sure why people were moaning about these things - but I didn’t have any issues at all.

I’m just waiting for the V5C document so I can register for congestion charge and ULEZ (do people here know how long it takes to get that?)
I’ve already bought a private plate so just waiting for the switch too. I’ll end up going with the vinyl plates as my neighbour with a Model 3 has done the same.

Any questions, feel free to ask.
7D00678C-F304-452E-A122-9C6491FACB74.jpeg
C58ACED8-FE05-4647-BABC-BA565206EDF9.jpeg

So… here goes.

Like I’ve mentioned before - I’ve never owned a brand new car before. I was lucky to have an Audi A4 when I was 21 which was around 12 months old - 60 plate (but had 40k miles on it)

I got to Bluewater on Saturday around 9am - after seeing so many people almost get to the appointment a full 2 hours early and still drive away with their car shortly after, I’d thought I’ll try my luck. (I was only an hour early)

No issues - girls at the front desk were lovely and they could see my enthusiasm. Strangle - I was the only Blue car there… #TeamBlue20

Was handed over the keys after they checked my driving license, walked over to the car, it was filthy…
To be honest - I wasnt expecting it to be completely clean, as I’ve read numerous times from others it comes with a bit of dirt. But after consideration, £60k on a car and it doesn’t even come with a polish is a bit of a joke? Anyway.

Nothing wrong with the car, gaps, scratches, bubbles in PPF, mist in the headlights - nothing. Was quite impressed with this part to be fair, inside was the same as outside - filthy… Tesla couldn’t even run a rag round the dash to clear the dust? Like come on… but also like the outside, nothing wrong. No squeaks, gaps, imperfections. Was great.

Came with all the cables ✅
No USS ✅
Old cameras (sadly) ✅
Old seats ✅
Parcel shelf ✅

I don’t have a charger installed at home - so I went to the supercharger and charged from 51% to 95% (I know it’s not recommended, but I went to go get a McDonald’s breakfast…) total cost was £14.43 - not bad!

Drove home, calibrated the car. I’m very used to the car already as my brother in law bought the Model Y and collected back in June and I often drive it.
What I noticed from his one to mine was the ride - much much better in mine. Was a noticeable difference, to the point where my brother in law also noticed - not sure if that’s because he has 19” Gemini’s and mines on 20’s but there was a difference.

The Mrs’ is quite a cautious driver, she was scared to drive the car. But she was amazed at how light, nimble and easy it was to drive. Instantly she thought something so big was easy to handle (😉 - everyone’s thinking it)

Plenty of miles done already and I’m currently charging it using the 3 PIN UK plug. It’s doing about 8-10 miles an hour, which is fine as I’ll leave it for most of the night now.

Overall - super impressed with the car, I’m still in shock it’s mine. Was in a car park today and was trying to look for my old car only to realise that the shiny new Tesla is now mine - completely surreal.

Accessories:
-Samsung T7 SSD for quick load times of Sentry Mode events - really good would recommend.
-Rear boot liner. Got this as I have the little ones push chair and we often go for walks so muddy boots is a thing… 😅
-Seat protector (so the car seat doesn’t rip or scratch the seats)
-centre console tray organiser - would recommend. The centre console is huge and very deep
-Spigen screen protector - again would recommend, I got the Matte finish so it takes away screen glare at night.

Controversial topics:
USS - mine don’t have any. Im going to be completely honest here - it’s not looking good. It was dark, rainy and wet today. Sometimes relying totally on camera’s might not be the best thing as visibility wasn’t great at all. It was fine during the day, but not seeing how far objects are or having any sensors (in again a £60k car may I add) to tell you how far they are isn’t good. I really hope somehow they can come to a happy medium and we can get the distance measurements back or something which is better than the current system.

Autopilot:
Absolutely no issues - auto high beam was perfect, wipers were perfect.
I did around 30-40 miles on a motorway so I think I have a decent sample size. Heading to Heathrow at 4am in the morning on Tuesday - so will test again
I’m not sure why people were moaning about these things - but I didn’t have any issues at all.

I’m just waiting for the V5C document so I can register for congestion charge and ULEZ (do people here know how long it takes to get that?)
I’ve already bought a private plate so just waiting for the switch too. I’ll end up going with the vinyl plates as my neighbour with a Model 3 has done the same.

Any questions, feel free to ask. View attachment 878838View attachment 878839
What VIN batch are you?

Thought I would share my (limited so far) experience of AHB. I went out last night only to local supermarket so a very short drive. As I left my residential street I noticed full beam had come on which I found odd as the main road is still very residential and is a 30mph zone with streetlights. However whenever a car approached the dipped immediately as I would expect. Every single time. So I was pretty happy with that. Apart from being on on a road I would not expect them to turn on. However our street (where lights stayed dipped) has old fashioned style Street lights that have bright LED (I assume) bulbs like the first photo. Turning onto the main road the Street lights are new LED style lights (second photo) which are bright directly under them but seem much more of a focussed area of light than in the side streets. So I'm assuming they are just not quite bright enough for the car to recognise that they are there.

Haven't done any motorway driving at night or anything more than 30 areas 20221128_083652.jpg20221128_083320.jpg

I would guess that your car thinks it's in the Netherlands. Tesla use a mobile data provider there and it looks to websites that you are accessing from abroad, so BBC restrict access to podcasts. Sometimes Tesla get it right and your sim gets assigned to the UK then it works, but I'm not sure how you go about that, maybe raise a service request and see how it goes.