Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q4 Delivery timeline.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just placed an order for a performance model 3 on October 3rd. Looks like the website says estimate delivery still 2 weeks, but its been almost two weeks since ordering and I still haven't got a VIN. Does anyone really know what the expected timeline is for actual delivery? I see posts saying December. Yikes!

Based on 2019 averages, you should have a VIN by now assuming you didn’t choose red, gray or blue.

But some are saying Tesla is focusing European deliveries starting October which could throw off the normal delivery averages.

I got two similar updates of “4-6 weeks” from Tesla personnel despite the site saying “within 2 weeks”. This might be the standard message when someone asked as it seem to conservatively encompass the range of delivery averages that we’ve seen in 2019. Or it could be folks knowing the shift to non-US delivery schedules.

Either way, if I’m Elon there probably a good bit of Tesla’s future riding in this quarter and I’m doing everything I can to help make the numbers in any way possible... putting the future support of all vehicles before the short term satisfaction of committed buyers.

It doesn’t feel good because I’m one of those committed buyers that waited years to pull the trigger on a Tesla and hoped now was the right time to part with the money and get the car in a reasonable timeframe.

Bright side, at least I got FSD before the $1,000 price increase.

I got two similar updates of “4-6 weeks” from Tesla personnel despite the site saying “within 2 weeks”. This might be the standard message when someone asked as it seem to conservatively encompass the range of delivery averages that we’ve seen in 2019. Or it could be folks knowing the shift to non-US delivery schedules.

Either way, if I’m Elon there probably a good bit of Tesla’s future riding in this quarter and I’m doing everything I can to help make the numbers in any way possible... putting the future support of all vehicles before the short term satisfaction of committed buyers.

It doesn’t feel good because I’m one of those committed buyers that waited years to pull the trigger on a Tesla and hoped now was the right time to part with the money and get the car in a reasonable timeframe.

Bright side, at least I got FSD before the $1,000 price increase.

A true, consistent timeframe told by all Tesla sales reps and the website would be helpful! You can't say 2 weeks when ordering, take the money and then make it 10 weeks! Even 8 weeks.

This is why people are hesitant to order from Tesla. They don't want to wait and they dread the games.

Reactions: George75
A true, consistent timeframe told by all Tesla sales reps and the website would be helpful! You can't say 2 weeks when ordering, take the money and then make it 10 weeks! Even 8 weeks.

This is why people are hesitant to order from Tesla. They don't want to wait and they dread the games.

Agreed. At least give me the opportunity to make a purchasing decision based on facts.

I placed my order on Oct. 1st for a white on black SR+. No VIN assigned yet and I have a bank approved loan good up until Nov. 3rd. This is cutting it too close!

Yes, sorry! Will the bank consider an automatic extension if needed? After all, it’s a car loan, not a home loan.

This is exactly the point I’ve been making. There is always an inherent risk when buying from a new and heavily leveraged company. Tesla needs to understand that our lives are important too. The customers matter, and many of us have loans and trade ins to deal with. If it’s 6-8 or 8-10 weeks - then be clear about it. Stop the “2 week delivery” nonsense on the website.

The analysts are worried that the N. American market is softening. It’s not. If anything, Tesla makes it really hard to buy their cars. If there was any reasonable competition out there, Tesla will really have a problem. And that competition is coming.

I feel for those of us who trusted the websites timeline (me included), and I hope it works out for all of you. While we all want this vehicle in a timely manner, doesn't it seem logical to be concerned about some thing else? By that I mean, they have known production issues (paint, etc), do we want them to feel a crunch and pressure to deliver cars and ultimately cut corners? I sure as hell don't. My Fiat lease is through March 2020 @ $41/mo, but I do want that $1875 credit, that's why I ordered now to ensure (so I thought) taking delivery before years end. I ordered 10/13. Patience will be key it seems. For those with loan rates locked, I wouldn't anticipate rates going up, so even if the deadline passes, it might benefit you. Even still, a smart bank would not pass.
It's too bad other manufacturers (BMW, etc) don't and won't have desirable EV products until 2021 or so. And even then, what will they charge? I assume much more than the M3P for similar specs.

Ordered mine (red) on 9/28. Also got the “within 2 weeks” spiel. Still no VIN.

I called at the 13-day mark and the rep said they were “still looking for a match” (whatever that means) and that once they find it shipping will take 1-3 weeks depending on whether it’s by road or rail.

I see we have a lot of new members on this thread, so I’ll post some words of advice from my experiences in learning how to work with Tesla.

1) Never believe anything you see on the website.
2) Never believe anything you hear from a Tesla employee.
3) If you need information about Tesla products search for the answer on this forum and post a question if you don’t find what you need.

If you follow these three steps you will have a good experience with Tesla. If you ignore steps 1 and 2 you will go down a bad road and will end up posting your negative experience on this forum, and will be reminded not to ignore steps 1 and 2.

The frustrating thing is I don't really see new buyers complaining about the timeline it takes if the website was just more accurate in it's timeframe.
How hard is it to assign someone with production knowledge to update the website timing once every Monday morning for each market?
It hurts sales and reputation more to state 2 weeks and deliver in 8 than it would to just state 8 weeks right now. In early December change the message back to 2 weeks when it again becomes a reality.

These little things is what Telsa just can never seem to get right, the big things like building an amazing car and tech they are excellent at so you need to be able to shrug off the smaller issues.

Ordered SR+ White on white on October 10, No Vin as well. I did call and talk to Tesla Cherry Creek here in Denver. They told me since I ordered with the first week or so of October that i should have my vehicle by November. He did confirm that they are concentrating on other markets for deliveries rights now. and that if you wait much longer to order that it could be December till you get your Model 3. Myf financing is good for 45 days so i hope its here before November 14th!!