Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q4 Delivery timeline.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The frustrating thing is I don't really see new buyers complaining about the timeline it takes if the website was just more accurate in it's timeframe.
How hard is it to assign someone with production knowledge to update the website timing once every Monday morning for each market?
It hurts sales and reputation more to state 2 weeks and deliver in 8 than it would to just state 8 weeks right now. In early December change the message back to 2 weeks when it again becomes a reality.

These little things is what Telsa just can never seem to get right, the big things like building an amazing car and tech they are excellent at so you need to be able to shrug off the smaller issues.

Good point, this would let Tesla deliver a lot more cars. For instance, the late quarter cars that show as “inventory “? They are more likely cars that are ordered that never get picked up or delivered. Tesla doesn’t like having too much inventory, but this problem would get a lot better if people knew what to do with their order. So, doing as the poster above says would be in Tesla’s best interests.

Tesla’s problem is one of logistics.

Last edited:
ordered sept 29th white/white performance fsd..no vin in source code, OA says probably by november.

Probably by November is reasonable and truthful.

I did email the delivery advisor that was assigned to me when I last ordered - but could not take delivery in time. She had an auto-responder on here e-mail saying she would be out of the office for a while - and did not say when she was coming back. If I were to guess, Tesla laid her off temporarily. She indicated that she would be coming back, but not when.

This fits in with severely reduced or no deliveries for a while.

How you do that?!?
  • right click on the order page where the build specs are
  • click 'view source code' from the menu that pops up
  • press CRTL F
  • type 5YJ in the search box - VIN should show up if assigned
    5YJ.jpg

Tesla Status.jpg
Hi everyone - So I'm still waiting on my VIN & this is what my screen looks like. I uploaded my insurance already & there's no next or completed button to click on. For those still waiting on their VIN, does your screen look like this & at the bottom it says they're still drafting up your contract and will contact you when you can make your final payment. Just want to make sure I didn't forget anything.Tesla Status.jpg

View attachment 466559 Hi everyone - So I'm still waiting on my VIN & this is what my screen looks like. I uploaded my insurance already & there's no next or completed button to click on. For those still waiting on their VIN, does your screen look like this & at the bottom it says they're still drafting up your contract and will contact you when you can make your final payment. Just want to make sure I didn't forget anything.View attachment 466559

How do you have proof of insurance without a VIN?

The frustrating thing is I don't really see new buyers complaining about the timeline it takes if the website was just more accurate in it's timeframe.
How hard is it to assign someone with production knowledge to update the website timing once every Monday morning for each market?
It hurts sales and reputation more to state 2 weeks and deliver in 8 than it would to just state 8 weeks right now. In early December change the message back to 2 weeks when it again becomes a reality.

These little things is what Telsa just can never seem to get right, the big things like building an amazing car and tech they are excellent at so you need to be able to shrug off the smaller issues.
Yeah but if new members followed the advice of @OCR1 then this wait wouldn’t be much of a surprise. I ordered Oct 5th but from reading this forum for over a year I knew it was going to be a little wait with my order occurring right after the conclusion of a big end of the quarter push. Read these forums and you will see a pattern.

Good point, this would let Tesla deliver a lot more cars. For instance, the late quarter cars that show as “inventory “? They are more likely cars that are ordered that never get picked up or delivered. Tesla doesn’t like having too much inventory, but this problem would get a lot better if people knew what to do with their order. So, doing as the poster above says would be in Tesla’s best interests.

Tesla’s problem is one of logistics.
Indeed. Let’s send someone from Domino’s to Tesla. 2,000 cars per day, I volunteer to stand in the factory and live tweet your car’s status in the line for a low anxiety-ending fee of $5/day. That means I’ll be talking to / texting 250 of you every hour. I should be able to pay for my car in one week :-D

My insurance agent doesn’t give proof of insurance without full dmv paperwork from Tesla which you don’t get until 24 hours before pickup.
I take it that is how it works in MA, early vin doesn’t do anything except let me get a quote on coverage costs.

So all I did was show the insurance I currently have on my car I was trading in and that worked fine for Tesla

Just a friendly reminder that the $1800 tax credit ends Dec 31 2019! After that no more tax credit. From what I been reading, many people waiting for their VIN seems like myself and everyone else won’t get our delivery til Nov. If anyone want that $1800 tax credit, better place your order now!

Just a friendly reminder that the $1800 tax credit ends Dec 31 2019! After that no more tax credit. From what I been reading, many people waiting for their VIN seems like myself and everyone else won’t get our delivery til Nov. If anyone want that $1800 tax credit, better place your order now!
Yep. Plus FSD goes up by $1,000 on Nov 1!

Tesla's got my order and I can give them proof of insurance when they have a car for me. I don't think they will hold a car for lack of insurance prior to delivery.

I've always just called my agent when taking possession of a new car and they make the change over the phone.

Everyone should just get their order straight online. When the numbers aren't OK'd, that is more like to cause a snafu.