Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality at home charging, are charge ports really needed to be installed at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone, you have been a big help. Ill reach out to that lady she said $400 but its negotiable.
Check with you local power provider. Some of them have excellent rebates or discounts on EVSEs. That way you can get a brand new one with warranty for much less. I got my ChargePoint for free (after $400 utility provider discount and $299 discount from work).

Check with you local power provider. Some of them have excellent rebates or discounts on EVSEs. That way you can get a brand new one with warranty for much less. I got my ChargePoint for free (after $400 utility provider discount and $299 discount from work).
Curious what the amperage output your ChargePoint can do ? Mine at work do 32 amps (6.8 kW) max and my Tesla charger does 10 kW as I have it programmed for 40 amps but it will supply 48 amps. The only bad choice is the 14-50 route.

what makes the 14-50 a bad choice? The cost of the wire? Is everyone going 6-50 now?
The connectors are not rated for multiple cycles (plug in/out). There is a risk that over time, the connector tension softens which leads to heating. Think of your clothes dryer and how often you plug/unplug it. If yo plan to plug in your charger and leave it, then it is a viable option.

Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
The connectors are not rated for multiple cycles (plug in/out). There is a risk that over time, the connector tension softens which leads to heating. Think of your clothes dryer and how often you plug/unplug it. If yo plan to plug in your charger and leave it, then it is a viable option.
Good points.
Also Electricians don’t know that GFCI breaker is required by code. That brings cost of 14-50 plug and Mobile connector close to the same as a Wall connector. Nor will most electricians use the high grade outlet. Also adding cost. Nor do folks include the cost of the 14-50 adapter. Now your $250 more than you thought you were.

Hardwiring is less points of failure. Every connection adds a point of failure. Simple is better.

Wall connector is suited for outdoors.

Wall connector can be locked.

Wall connector can go higher amps.

Wall connector can be shared with another wall connector on the same circuit.

Wall connector has access through Wi-Fi.

Wall connector does not need GFCI breaker.

Wall connector can be dialed to any amperage you want.

Wall connector has a longer reach

Wall connector comes with proper cord storage. Hangs on unit itself.

I'll be the contrarian here and say a corded charger via NEMA outlet can be preferrable to a wall connector (as is has been in my anecdotal case). I'm assuming the 2016 you'll be purchasing has the 40A capable mobile connector (w/ 14-50 plug adapter) included with it, which came standard with the Model S at that time.

a) The 2016 either has an onboard 40A charger or dual 40A (less common) chargers for 80A capability, and the mobile connector included charges up to 40A. A wall connector gains you no charging benefit without the 80A onboard capability. (If I'm remembering correctly, the 48/72A charger came around when the 100D got rolled out in 2017?)

b) Professional install of a NEMA 6-50/14-50 outlet may be lower than the install of the wall connector (it was when I got electrical quotes for my current garage; as others mentioned, with electricians, YMMV).

c) With a wall connector, the Tesla is "locked" into a specific parking place. For most this may not be an issue, but if you change vehicles over the years (or which vehicle each household member is driving changes) not being able to move the charger can matter. (Anecdotal story time: my spouse cannot park on the right side of the garage because it has a slight turn required to get in/out. The one and only time it was attempted, the car and garage were damaged. However, over the years as we've changed vehicles and who drives what, which garage side the Tesla is parked (or if it is even in the garage!) has varied.)

d) A wall connector serves a single purpose - charging a Tesla. A 240V NEMA outlet can serve many purposes - charging a Tesla, charging another EV, powering an RV, powering a welder, etc.

...but if you can get a good deal on a wall connector and it buys your spouse peace of mind, that's not an unreasonable option.

Reactions: CLOONEY003@GMA
You can install a 14-50 outside in a weatherproof box. However the 14-50 is meant to be plugged in and stay plugged in because over time the constant removal/insert will weaken the outlet and cause loose connections which can create heat and fire.
You say the car is a 2016 so i'm assuming it has either the dual chargers or the 72A onboard chargers. The only way to utilize that full speed is to install a HPWC version 2 NOT the one tesla sells currently which is a version 3 and its max is like 48A which is a joke. The HPWC is designed to be outside and is weatherproof and easy to install. I wired mine up from the breaker box to about 75ft away and it took me an afternoon to complete and the total cost including the HPWC was about $700.

Reactions: CLOONEY003@GMA
IMHO there are only two good reasons for installing a 14-50
  1. You have an RV that can use a 14-50 outlet, or you have equipment like a welder. However, 240V plugs and outlets are not designed to be plugged and unplugged on a regular basis. If this will be the case you really need a dedicated outlet for the RV / welder and a second receptacle the 14-50 for your car, so that 2nd one can still be a wall connector.
  2. You want to say $250. Given that you spent a fortune on your car, this is kind of a silly reason.
BTW, arguments about being locked in are not real. The Tesla Wall connector can charge cars with a J1772 connection (just buy an adapter) and you can always swap out the connector for something else, the wiring is where the real costs are. 240V chargers do not use a neutral so the wiring for the Tesla Wall connector will work for other systems.

I have 2 x 14-50s in my garage. Unless you NEED the extra charge rate from a wall charger, I would stick w/ 14-50s. The main reason being is that it is future proof. After I sold my Roadster, I picked up a Volvo XC40 while I wait for my Model X. It didn't cost me a single penny. Unplugged Roadster UMC from 14-50, plugged in Volvo to 14-50. Charge car.

I agree that 14-50s should not be plugged/unplugged regularly. So DON'T! A spare mobile connector is CHEAPER than a wall connector so just get an extra mobile connector and leave it plugged in all the time.

For outdoor use, the mobile connector has a 20' cord. So put the 14-50 on the inside of the wall next to the garage door and run the cord under the garage door to the car when you are charging. When done charging, store the cable inside.

Getting wiring buried out to your driveway and installing a pedestal and such for the wall connector will cost a fortune and only give you a few extra mph of charge rate. Nearly everyone is home long enough overnight to fully charge on 32A.

Also, when you sell the house, you can take your mobile connector with you and you'll just have 14-50s in the garage waiting for the next owner.

Finally, the reason Tesla isn't including 14-50 plus any more is because they are cheap a$$es and love nickel and diming their customers. The same reason they have lowered the Gen 2 mobile connector charge rate to 32A when 40A is allowed by code - they can use cheaper wiring in the connector. Same for the internal chargers in the cars. Please don't confuse Tesla improving their margins with having some kind of intelligence or being a best practice.

I'll be the contrarian here and say a corded charger via NEMA outlet can be preferrable to a wall connector (as is has been in my anecdotal case). I'm assuming the 2016 you'll be purchasing has the 40A capable mobile connector (w/ 14-50 plug adapter) included with it, which came standard with the Model S at that time.

a) The 2016 either has an onboard 40A charger or dual 40A (less common) chargers for 80A capability, and the mobile connector included charges up to 40A. A wall connector gains you no charging benefit without the 80A onboard capability. (If I'm remembering correctly, the 48/72A charger came around when the 100D got rolled out in 2017?)

b) Professional install of a NEMA 6-50/14-50 outlet may be lower than the install of the wall connector (it was when I got electrical quotes for my current garage; as others mentioned, with electricians, YMMV).

c) With a wall connector, the Tesla is "locked" into a specific parking place. For most this may not be an issue, but if you change vehicles over the years (or which vehicle each household member is driving changes) not being able to move the charger can matter. (Anecdotal story time: my spouse cannot park on the right side of the garage because it has a slight turn required to get in/out. The one and only time it was attempted, the car and garage were damaged. However, over the years as we've changed vehicles and who drives what, which garage side the Tesla is parked (or if it is even in the garage!) has varied.)

d) A wall connector serves a single purpose - charging a Tesla. A 240V NEMA outlet can serve many purposes - charging a Tesla, charging another EV, powering an RV, powering a welder, etc.

...but if you can get a good deal on a wall connector and it buys your spouse peace of mind, that's not an unreasonable option.
Yet another reason to go wall connector.

There was a reason Tesla lowered the Mobile to 32A. Because a 14-50 outlet cannot sustain 40A charging. I also think it had no temp sensor on the plug.

Throw the old gen mobile in the trash if it comes with one.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: dbldwn02 and ucmndd
The connectors are not rated for multiple cycles (plug in/out). There is a risk that over time, the connector tension softens which leads to heating. Think of your clothes dryer and how often you plug/unplug it. If you plan to plug in your charger and leave it, then it is a viable option.

This is the key point.

To me the key benefit of using an outlet is that the EVSE can easily be replaced in the event of failure.
I don't unplug my washing machine, stove, refrigerator or dishwasher, but I've replaced them and I didn't need to hire somebody to wire them up for me.

But I'd always suggest buying a separate EVSE, keeping it plugged in, and leaving the portable EVSE in the car.
For Tesla, there's only the Wall Connector or the portable connector with a fixed 14-50 plug (out of stock).
The Wall Connector not only can provide more power, but it has smart features.

I think it would be good if Tesla made a Wall Connector with a plug, but it's clear it's not going to happen.

Yet another bad recommendation.

Mobile connectors have Temp sensor in the plug for (when, not if) the 14-50 outlet starts to heat up. That would not.

So many recommendations that think if it plugs in, they are not dead and the car charges it’s a good idea.

Hardwired is safest and most robust. Period.

• Disagree
Reactions: dbldwn02
First kiss the warranty goodbye.

Reactions: mswlogo