Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Queensland Electric Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does qfleet manage the QESH? If not, this might be for govt sites not public

this was the phase 2 tender:
Display 10616

So, not sure. But Yurika is government sponsored, thats why charging is so cheap.
I dont think this is a network just for government use.... No way theyd construct chargers all over the outback and then public cant use them. Can you imagine an AC or DC fast charger teasing you in longreach and you cant use it?

I've been told by someone in the know that this is just fleet stuff, but it makes me wonder why places like Mt Isa would be mentioned. Unless organisations in the area are going to have EVs delivered on a truck and use them exclusively in the local area?
Makes sense if they only use their ICE that way already, it will save them heaps across the fleet.

I submitted a question at Yurika's website but haven't had a reply yet.

Looking to drive up to North Queensland from Sydney in the new year.
I have noticed that the superhighway has 50kw chargers in Type 2 and CHAdeMO, I was wondering what X and S owners have opted for and found most useful in the area. The CHAdeMO adaptor or the Type 2 DC Retrofit?

I got both, the CHAdeMO adaptor will only give you up to 50 kW, cost(was $700) more than CCS2 upgrade($500) and you will get you higher charging speed, so get the CCS2 upgrade, also have a Type 2 to Type 2 cable.

do you even get 50kw on the S? Tritium 50kw chargers in theory support 480V for 48kw charging but in reality they only seem to provide 43kw. Though Ive seen the charger in Bowen provide 45kw for me before for some reason...

do you even get 50kw on the S? Tritium 50kw chargers in theory support 480V for 48kw charging but in reality they only seem to provide 43kw. Though Ive seen the charger in Bowen provide 45kw for me before for some reason...

I've had 45kW at NRMA Young, and Plugshare shows others reporting the same - some S and Xs there seem to have gotten 47kW. Might depend on the exact grid voltage at the time?

I've had 45kW at NRMA Young, and Plugshare shows others reporting the same - some S and Xs there seem to have gotten 47kW. Might depend on the exact grid voltage at the time?

Possibly but I live in North Queensland where standard voltage is already quite high (240V, but occasionally a few more volts).Standard is 43kw though it often likes to drop to i.e. 35kw for a bit on certain locations.

I saw my Model 3 SR+ charge at 49kW at the NRMA charger at Berry once in July. I also saw 46kW at NRMA Picton in June.

But yeah, Mittagong, Canberra (ACTEWAGL Civic - Knowles Place North) and most other Tritium 50kW chargers never go past 41-42.

I have noticed that the superhighway has 50kw chargers in Type 2 and CHAdeMO, I was wondering what X and S owners have opted for and found most useful in the area. The CHAdeMO adaptor or the Type 2 DC Retrofit?

Type 2 DC retrofit is better and cheaper.
If you stay on the coast with phase 2 qesh youll be fine without anything else. Type 2 cable not really needed.
If you want to travel inland you'll need a three phase adapter.

Depends on the age of your S; if it's an older car (circa 2016) try to get a second hand CHAdeMO.

The ultra-fast chargers being put in by Evie and Chargefox tend to be CCS2 only, and with even Nissan switching to CCS2 for the Ariya I think the writing is on the wall for CHAdeMO.

Also Chademo limits him to 50kw whereas with CCS he can charge up to 142kw apparently on the Model S/X, though I suspect older Model S/X can max pull 120kw as before.

Ray's post is presumably based around the fact that older Model S are throttled for DC charging often so likely cant make good use of CCS speed anyway

The ultra-fast chargers being put in by Evie and Chargefox tend to be CCS2 only, and with even Nissan switching to CCS2 for the Ariya I think the writing is on the wall for CHAdeMO.
While the writing is on the wall, it's incorrect to say Chargefox is only installing CCS2 ports.Though my experience is admittedly limited to NSW.

I believe that's only true at car dealerships (Audi Zetland and Jaguar Land Rover at Concord). And those are probably going to be restricted use for the cars they make, so it doesn't matter if they don't have a port used only by older Japanese cars.

Zetland East Village is admittedly an issue. It has a 50kW stall with CCS2 and CHAdeMO, plus 2x350kW stalls with CCS2 only. To be fair, why waste a 350 on CHAdeMO that's limited to 50kW by design. The risk is reliability (if the wrong one fails, you're stuck). But that's not much of an issue, as the 50s are way more reliable than the 350s. And ironically both the 350s are offline just now.

Chargefox at Shell Cove, Goulburn, and what's left of Gundagai, are all dual-port chargers, where every stall has both CCS2 and CHAdeMO. I believe the same is true of Evie.

While the writing is on the wall, it's incorrect to say Chargefox is only installing CCS2 ports.Though my experience is admittedly limited to NSW.

Yeah, that's why I hedged with "tend to" :) (I was also meaning specifically the 350kW units).

I believe that's only true at car dealerships (Audi Zetland and Jaguar Land Rover at Concord). And those are probably going to be restricted use for the cars they make, so it doesn't matter if they don't have a port used only by older Japanese cars.

Apparently Audi Zetland is available for anyone outside of business hours (which is nice if you are in the area late at night when the East Village carpark is closed).

Chargefox at Shell Cove, Goulburn, and what's left of Gundagai, are all dual-port chargers, where every stall has both CCS2 and CHAdeMO. I believe the same is true of Evie.

The more recently installed Chargefox Karuah and Ballina both only have CCS2 on the 350kW units (with a CHAdeMO on the 50kW), so I think that indicates what future installations might be like.

vlogger out of spec motoring published a recent roadtrip in a Leaf in the US.
Went to a recently reconstructed Electrified America site.
1 50kW Chademo/CCS1
1 150kW CCS1 with 2 plugs
2 350kW CCS1 with 2 plugs

So seems similar thinking from Chargefox and Evie for most new sites in Australia (but obviously CCS2). No real need for more than one Chademo unit.

• Informative
Reactions: PC__LoadLetter