Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Queensland - Labelling requirements for Electric Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it had to happen eventually.... Got this email today...But the order link seems to be broken.

As the registered owner of one or more electric vehicles manufactured after 1 January 2019 (or modified to be an electric-powered vehicle after 1 January 2019) you are now legally required to display an electric vehicle label on each of your number plates.

Electric vehicles pose risks to emergency service workers in certain situations. The labels have been introduced as a safety measure to alert emergency personnel when they are dealing with an electric vehicle so they can discharge the vehicle's high-voltage power source if required.

If you have not already done so, you can order labels from the Motor Trades Association at https://mtasant.com.au/order-form.

Please note that owners of electric vehicles manufactured after 1 January 2019, but registered prior to 1 October 2020, have until 1 October 2021 to ensure labels meeting the requirements are attached to their vehicle.

For more information on electric vehicle label requirements, please visit
https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/registration/labelling-requirements-for-electric-vehicles-and-hydrogen-vehicles or email [email protected].

Yours sincerely

Vehicle Standards
Land Transport Safety and Regulation

1624236328582.png

I received the same email and ordered through the link. It's a weird ordering process, but it did complete with a confirmation email. You need to scroll down the list of all products, find the label, enter 1 in the quantity, then proceed from the bottom of the page by hitting confirm order. That should provide a form to enter your details and then another pop up for the payment. I just called them to be sure and they said the $8.00 includes postage. Takes up to 5 days for processing and delivery.

I think it's actually Australia wide (it seems to be from the Australian Light Vehicle Standards Rulse) but up to the states to implement. NSW and Victoria have had the rules for a while.

Guess Qld is just catching up. I ordered mine from the MTA website today.

In Tas, no direct action by Govt or Tesla but it is also a thing and if you happen to find out about it and contact MV registration they confirm the requirement and suggest a few businesses from whom you might be able to purchase the tags. You have to laugh really!
That's how they're playing it in the ACT too. Except here sometimes the people you get on the phone don't even know about it.

In NSW we got the stickers unannounced through the mail several months ago.
Yep, the stickers just got posted to EV drivers in NSW last year. Although I got 2 separate letters on different days, 1 for each EV, rather than all the stickers sent in one go.

Asking EV drivers to order them in QLD is just… weird. Expect 1% compliance with that approach.

I assume the rules will be uniform nationally, but any vehicle with a battery in it (apart from 12V lead-acid) is required to put these stickers on. So you see Toyota hybrids with these EV stickers on their plates - I feel somewhat less ‘special’ 😄

I got my tags from MTA (the place linked by main roads) and yeah I can see a lot of annoyed people. Inside the card the tags come in it specifically says the adhesive is just for positioning and they need to be pop rivetted. Basically they are asking all EV/Hybrid owners to pay for their own tags, then take their number plate off, drill a hole in it and then rivet the tags on - relying on everyone having a drill, drill bits of the correct size, rivets and a rivet gun.

Qld should have just asked NSW to share some of the tags they were sending out.

I live in Far North Queensland.

I visited Motor Transport to clarify some issues about the EV tags. I asked if it was possible to order and pay for new number plates that include the moulded EV TAG as you can do in other states. It was explained to me that QLD has No INTENTION of ever making these available.

They explained that i had chosen to drive a very hazardous vehicle (like a petrol tanker) and thats why i need to order the tags myself. I must drill the number plate and rivet the tag to the plate. I should consider having to do all this this as a penalty for choosing to drive a vehicle that is a VERY SERIOUS safety hazard on the roads, and that the tags were to keep emergency workers safe.

They also explained that if i ever handed back the plates with the tag i would be fined for returning a defaced plate as its illegal to drill holes in number plates.

They did ask why i didnt just buy a normal car.

• Funny
Reactions: moa999
The drilling part seems a bit over the top.
Majority of badges on your car are just glued, and they seem to stick well enough.
Use some sikaflex11FC+ (available from bunnings) and they will never come off or be able to be taken off undamaged. Its in a silicone tube (be sure to grab the special nozzle), and its used to stick facade panels onto highrise structures.

I received the stickers in the mail only a week after I picked up my Model 3 in March 2020. It was so close that I'm sure it could have been done as part of the registration. The letter said it was required on all EVs purchased after a certain date.

I then received another letter a few months later saying that it was being extended to ALL EVs in NSW. It seemed silly for me to get the second one when I was already covered in the first.

Were the stickers people in NSW got plastic? Or metal?

I just checked the rules and apparently they have to be 1mm thick and made of metal - i'd laugh if the NSW ones didn't even follow the road rules (though honestly I can't imagine anyones been fined for it)

Reactions: 1001