Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Queensland - Labelling requirements for Electric Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my tags from MTA (the place linked by main roads) and yeah I can see a lot of annoyed people. Inside the card the tags come in it specifically says the adhesive is just for positioning and they need to be pop rivetted. Basically they are asking all EV/Hybrid owners to pay for their own tags, then take their number plate off, drill a hole in it and then rivet the tags on - relying on everyone having a drill, drill bits of the correct size, rivets and a rivet gun.

Qld should have just asked NSW to share some of the tags they were sending out.
That is the craziest thing I’ve heard for a while.
Adhesives have come a long way, and my NSW tags have are where I stuck them on a year or two ago. I quite like the blue!

Were the stickers people in NSW got plastic? Or metal?

I just checked the rules and apparently they have to be 1mm thick and made of metal - i'd laugh if the NSW ones didn't even follow the road rules (though honestly I can't imagine anyones been fined for it)

Aluminium and quite substantial, probably 1.5-2mm thick. About like a 20c coin cut into a triangle.

Were the stickers people in NSW got plastic? Or metal?

I just checked the rules and apparently they have to be 1mm thick and made of metal - i'd laugh if the NSW ones didn't even follow the road rules (though honestly I can't imagine anyones been fined for it)
They appear to be metal and mine seems quite secure with just the provided adhesive.
I have no plate covers and they have both been through numerous washes with a pressure washer without any evidence of coming loose. I cleaned the area of the number plate with methylated spirits before i attached the EV badge.

Reactions: Vostok
I live in Far North Queensland…

They explained that i had chosen to drive a very hazardous vehicle (like a petrol tanker) and thats why i need to order the tags myself. I must drill the number plate and rivet the tag to the plate. I should consider having to do all this this as a penalty for choosing to drive a vehicle that is a VERY SERIOUS safety hazard on the roads, and that the tags were to keep emergency workers safe.
Wow… I would have been unable to bite my lip.

I would have asked that person do they have a mobile phone with a battery in it, and have they ever been worried about the “dangers” that poses. And then whether they have ever been worried about driving a vehicle containing 50 litres or so of highly dangerous, flammable, explosive liquid in it.

And then why QLD is unable to provide self-adhesive EV tags like in NSW.

They appear to be metal and mine seems quite secure with just the provided adhesive.
I have no plate covers and they have both been through numerous washes with a pressure washer without any evidence of coming loose. I cleaned the area of the number plate with methylated spirits before i attached the EV badge.
Same here - I cleaned the plate with metho then stuck on the badges. Modern adhesives are extremely strong, and if applied correctly, it’s extremely unlikely they would ever come off.

Wow… I would have been unable to bite my lip.

I would have asked that person do they have a mobile phone with a battery in it, and have they ever been worried about the “dangers” that poses. And then whether they have ever been worried about driving a vehicle containing 50 litres or so of highly dangerous, flammable, explosive liquid in it.

And then why QLD is unable to provide self-adhesive EV tags like in NSW.
I wonder how long it will be before the tags are no longer required on mainstream electric cars and instead a big ‘flammable liquid’ sign on the remaining historic examples.
What I dont understand though, the fire departments would easily know the difference between a fuel fire and a battery fire. One is a massive fire ball which can be seen before arrival and the other is a slow burn. Not sure that they’ll be looking for a sticker before deciding how to deal with it.

Are we sure the labels have to be metal or stuck to a separate piece of metal? The wording on the website says it must:
  • be affixed to a plate made of metal that is at least 1mm thick
That could also mean that you can just affix the label to your regular number plates which are metal and 1mm thick. I’m not looking for a way of justifying something that is not right I’m just wondering if we are perhaps interpreting the requirements incorrectly as it is a bit ambiguous.

Are we sure the labels have to be metal or stuck to a separate piece of metal? The wording on the website says it must:
That could also mean that you can just affix the label to your regular number plates which are metal and 1mm thick. I’m not looking for a way of justifying something that is not right I’m just wondering if we are perhaps interpreting the requirements incorrectly as it is a bit ambiguous.
Seems like a reasonable interpretation

That’s how I interpreted it, especially as mine came as self adhesive labels along with matching triangles of aluminium to stick them to before riveting to the number plate!!!!

The law actually says:

Code:
For subsection (3), a label is a compliant label if—

(a)the label is attached to a plate made of metal that is at least 1mm thick; and

(b)the label, and the plate to which it is attached, is an equilateral triangular shape—

(i)each side of which is 30mm long; and

(ii)each interior angle of which is 60°; and

(c)the label has a blue surface that complies with class 2 of Australian Standard AS 1906.1 as in force on the commencement; and

(d)the label is marked ‘EV’ in white capital letters at least 8mm high and has the orientation shown in the example; and

(e)the label is fitted to each number plate so that the letters on the label are in an upright position; and

(f)the label does not wholly or partly obscure a character on a number plate.

Which says that the metal plate has to be a triangle with 30mm sides, the same as the label, so that rules out the number plate itself being the metal plate.

(The idea behind this is that if the number plate is exposed to heat/fire, the metal triangle will still be visible even if the label is unreadable)

The law actually says:

Code:

(a)the label is attached to a plate made of metal that is at least 1mm thick; and

(b)the label, and the plate to which it is attached, is an equilateral triangular shape—

(c)the label has a blue surface that complies with class 2 of Australian Standard AS 1906.1 as in force on the commencement; and

(d)the label is marked ‘EV’ in white capital letters at least 8mm high and has the orientation shown in the example; and

(e)the label is fitted to each number plate so that the letters on the label are in an upright position; and

Which says that the metal plate has to be a triangle with 30mm sides, the same as the label, so that rules out the number plate itself being the metal plate.

(The idea behind this is that if the number plate is exposed to heat/fire, the metal triangle will still be visible even if the label is unreadable)
Ah. That makes sense. I wonder where I put the little triangles?

The law actually says:

Code:

Always recommended to go to the source 😄

Note this does not specify how the label must be attached to the plate. Just says it must be attached. Being told one must use pop-rivets seems inconsistent with this law, and I would conclude from this that self-adhesive is a compliant attachment method.

Always recommended to go to the source 😄

Note this does not specify how the label must be attached to the plate. Just says it must be attached. Being told one must use pop-rivets seems inconsistent with this law, and I would conclude from this that self-adhesive is a compliant attachment method.
Public servants making it up as they go- not entirely unusual

Reactions: moa999