Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about Model X tire sizes.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To whom may help please.
I am new to forum(s) all together.
I just bought a Tesla Model X 90D 2106. Il will need 4 summer tires and a 4 wheel set with 4 winter tires. I just discovered the tires are of different size in the front (265/45 R20) and (275/45 R20) in the back. So about 10 mm difference in width and about 4.5 mm in diameter.
If you can let me know either where to find the answer for sure or kindly reply here after?
So the questions are what would happen if someone gets 4 tires of the same size. Will the rotation ratio?
Can it damage the motor train?
What if we use narrower tires (especially for the winter better les aqua-planning in slush) as long as the diameter and rotation ratio are respected?
Any recommendations for brand and model for
Wheels?
Tires to use?
For summer
And for winter?
Many thanks in advance.
Regards.

Any recommendations...

Tesla sells:

Model X 20" Slipstream Wheel and Winter Tire Package

which includes different sizes for front and back:

Pirelli Scorpion winter tires
2 Front 265/45/20
2 Rear 275/45/20

For summer tires, mine comes with:

Continental Cross Contact LX Sport; Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season; ContiSilent
2 Front: 265/45R20 108V XL
2 Rear: 275/45R20 110V XL

Look at TireRack.com and see what they recommend.

Lots of threads on TMC about tires. You'll want to consider efficiency (low rolling resistance), sound level, wear, summer/winter/all season, cost, and some tires are Tesla spec'd for their cars. Search for tire threads with a eye to those attributes that are important to you.

To whom may help please.
I am new to forum(s) all together.
I just bought a Tesla Model X 90D 2106. Il will need 4 summer tires and a 4 wheel set with 4 winter tires. I just discovered the tires are of different size in the front (265/45 R20) and (275/45 R20) in the back. So about 10 mm difference in width and about 4.5 mm in diameter.
If you can let me know either where to find the answer for sure or kindly reply here after?
So the questions are what would happen if someone gets 4 tires of the same size. Will the rotation ratio?
Can it damage the motor train?
What if we use narrower tires (especially for the winter better les aqua-planning in slush) as long as the diameter and rotation ratio are respected?
Any recommendations for brand and model for Wheels? Tires to use? For summer And for winter?
Many thanks in advance. Regards.

FYI on what was coming with the X from Tesla. The wiki: Model X FAQ (wiki)

mDdSWyw.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
I was researching tiers as well as I need a new set. Based on reviews it was between Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Unfortunately, 265/45ZR20 Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 for the front is not sufficiently rated (104, 1,984 lb) even though the gross weight of a 100D the front axle 3,241 lb / 2 = 1,620 lb per tier. I've read some owners went with 255 of Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 for the front, which is properly rated for Model X. 275 size of Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 is ok for the rear.

But, I decided to go with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 265 and put that on all 4 corners so I can rotate to prolong tire use. I only got 12K out of OEM Continental CrossContact LX Sport tires and I drive very conservatively.

Master T, tanks for sharing your expereince. So it is possible to have 4 tires of the same size front and rear? Even if the rear wheels are wider by ½ an inch?
The question is: Do we know for sure what is the impact of having 4 tire of the same size? like 245/50 R20?

Master T, tanks for sharing your expereince. So it is possible to have 4 tires of the same size front and rear? Even if the rear wheels are wider by ½ an inch?
The question is: Do we know for sure what is the impact of having 4 tire of the same size? like 245/50 R20?

Wish I had an answer for this. I would love to do it.
But I asked at 2 different tire shops if they would do this so the tires could be rotated and both said NO.

But I asked at 2 different tire shops if they would do this so the tires could be rotated and both said NO.
I don't think you can swap the wheels front to back because they are different sizes so any tire rotation would involve remounting and balancing tires which is a lot more labor than just unbolting and swapping the wheel+tire sets.

Since most tire places will do rotations for customers for free, they probably don't want to be in the position of having delivered uniform tires on staggered wheels for the "purpose" of being able to "rotate" them. The customer would come back and expect essentially the same labor as swapping to completely new tires for free.

The OE summer/all season tires definitely can't be rotated because the front/rear times and tires sizes are different. The 19" winter tire kit is a square setup which implies that a square setup with aftermarket rims should be fine.

What's never been documented to the best of my knowledge, is how the car compensates for different revs per mile on the tires. It's a big issue on AWD vehicles with a center diff, but you don't have to worry about that on the Model X. It's possible it just measures the revs per mile while driving and automatically calibrates. It should be pretty easy for the car to figure out the difference between front and rear tire sizes vs. wheel spin.

I don't think you can swap the wheels front to back because they are different sizes so any tire rotation would involve remounting and balancing tires which is a lot more labor than just unbolting and swapping the wheel+tire sets.

Since most tire places will do rotations for customers for free, they probably don't want to be in the position of having delivered uniform tires on staggered wheels for the "purpose" of being able to "rotate" them. The customer would come back and expect essentially the same labor as swapping to completely new tires for free.

Not a tire expert but from what I was told is that you can definitely put 4 same size tires on the staggered rims. What you cant do is properly rotate all 4 tires. ie FR to LR etc.

Question about tire size on Model X?
Finally! Did speak, as recommended by TMC members, to a Tesla service center person. Seems, at least for winter tires, it is possible to have 4 tires of the same size front and rear as long as outer diameter is the same and/or close to original equipment tire as prescribed by Tesla. So, for example, four 255/50 R20 may do the trick as it is just a wee bit narrower, good for tracking in snow. Understanding that anyway, during winter you can't presume you will be driving in ideal conditions, thus not to push the machine too much! I found a very handy thing on the web called ''tire size calculator or tire comparison:mad: Tire Size Comparison. Neat! Indeed for a non-expert. Thanks to all for your kind and instructing comments. Note: Rotation allowed front to rear on the sam side and vice versa no cross rotation left to right, not sure why but I am not really concerned about that point. Pegase.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam